THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Calling 2013 a done deal for this ol SEMO guy...UPDATE

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling 2013 a done deal for this ol SEMO guy...UPDATE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Not much of a hunting season this year

No out West tags and no archery hunting as I couldn't hold a bow up with my left arm......so

This is what I did Wednesday

Bone spurs and a detached deltoid...... now heal and rehab before the June trip across the pond with graybird and snellstrom

I'm still out of it in this picture my wife took. She cleaned me up and put my hat on.

The very first night trying to sleep with that immobilizer on was horrible

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your recovery, get well soon. Remember, a physical therapist will now be your best friend, follow their instructions to the letter.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted, good luck with the recovery.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted, Godspeed and best of luck healing. Remember: there is a reason they give you pain pills. No need to abuse them, but use them. Trust me, there is no need to try to cowboy your way through this. As my cancer surgeon told me about a month ago, "There is no therapeutic value at all in pain."

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Good luck with your recovery, get well soon. Remember, a physical therapist will now be your best friend, follow their instructions to the letter.

What he said! Hang in there and ease your way back. My experience would make me think that having a June trip to motivate you is a very good thing.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good Luck with your recovery. The therapy is gonna hurt, but if you do as they tell you, you'll be back, maybe not 100% but it sure beats the options.

Hope everything turns out well for you.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your recovery - a lot to look forward to.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Ted, best of luck with your recovery. I've "been there and done that" with less than great results. My left rotator cuff was ruined when I took a minor fall in December of 2009. Had the same immobilizer as you, right down to the little orange ball. (The immobilizer won't be so uncomfortable when they take the spacer out.)

I hope you mend well and quickly. As others have said, don't worry about taking the pain meds and follow the physical therapist's recommendations.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely use it all andf I am for sure on the meds. I can't sleep without it.

Funny....I lift weights and train year round.

I do over 100 push up's 7 days a week but after the tear I couldn't even do one single push up.

My wife tells everyone that "he's hurt so bad he can't even pull cover at night" she wasn't telling a lie

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Keep your head up and listen to the PT! We got critters that need ground checking in June awaaaay over yonder!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Do the therapy
Gonna need both wings
Luck on your recovery.
A 1000 pushups a week?
What are ya afraid of getting old?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
Yep, Do the therapy
Gonna need both wings
Luck on your recovery.
A 1000 pushups a week?
What are ya afraid of getting old?

Afraid or not.....old is already here

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a total knee replacement of my left knee at 55. In 2011, I suffered an injury to my left elbow where the prognosis went from me dying because of the injury, to losing my left arm, to me up and being able with the help of a tri-pod, shooting ducks about 35 days or so after the accident.

If you want to get well, you will, in spite of what anyone else says.

I believe you will get back in shape and be ready to hunt again quicker than you or anyone else thinks. You are a hunter, that is plain from your posts and comments, you are not going to let this keep you down.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Craz

Hunting is one of my hobbies

Work on the other hand is the oil that keeps my hunting machine running

I am expected back on the job in 4 to 6 weeks.....you can bet your last dollar I will do everything in my power to get money back in the bank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck in the recovery Ted.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting is one of my hobbiesWork on the other hand is the oil that keeps my hunting machine runningI am expected back on the job in 4 to 6 weeks.....you can bet your last dollar I will do everything in my power to get money back in the bank

tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knowing you, I'm positive you'll be back to near 100% before it is expected.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get better soon Ted. Do you use manual or cnc. It could make all the difference. Rgds,jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Ted, get well soon, but don't rush the recovery!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your injury.I hope you have a speedy recovery and heal fast.OB Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
Get better soon Ted. Do you use manual or cnc. It could make all the difference. Rgds,jc

I'm an "old school" journeyman everything I do from day to day is with my hands on knee mills, surface grinders, edm, TiG welding and a calculator

I had my first Dr visit yesterday and looked at X-ray pics. Kinda cool.....7 staples

He put me in a more painful immobilizer at set my firts PT for Thursday morning

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:

I'm an "old school" journeyman everything I do from day to day is with my hands on knee mills, surface grinders, edm, TiG welding and a calculator

I had my first Dr visit yesterday and looked at X-ray pics. Kinda cool.....7 staples

He put me in a more painful immobilizer at set my firts PT for Thursday morning

Glad your progressing Ted, you will get plenty PT when you get back in the shop.
+1 on the old school journeyman, but being a lefty, that injury would put me right out of commission.Take it easy. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
a physical therapist will now be your best friend, follow their instructions to the letter.

Agreed! Some of the stuff thy want you to do seems useless, but, it's all part of a grand scheme to get you back in the field!

Wish you a fast recovery.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck brother.

I has the same surgery in 2007. I am good as new now. The rehab is critical to success.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the right shoulder rebuilt last year and the left shoulder done this year. I don't envy you. REHAB!!!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Good luck and God Bless Ted. Just think about all those bucks that will get to grow another year. You should kill some whoppers next season.

Merry CHRISTmas!
Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Guys

Thank you all for the very kind support.

Being off work for 3 weeks is nuts for me.....I am a 5 day 10 hour guy that doesn't like to sit still

I have been doing rehab pt every Monday Wednesday and Friday with in between days home exercise.

My range of motion is returning and my use of my arm has improved with far less pain each day.

It's hard to believe that after the repair your arm quits working and you start over

I'm back in the gym doing treadmill, stairs and leg machines.

I will be ready by June and back to fighting weight by fall.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Had PT and a Dr appointment today

I was cleared for work next Thursday.....day after Christmas

2 weeks early

testimony that hard work and doing everything possible to get back helps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between a knee replacement at 55 and a really messed up elbow at 61, I am as close to 100% physically as I have ever been in my life.

Ted, you went into the situation with a great attitude and that is the key to the whole thing.

The PT causes pain, but it is pain that will go away.

Congratulations on your progress and to you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still a little bite left in the Ole' Dog?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean..I had bi lateral hernia surgery on Monday...and them for 37 years finically got them fixed...oh I am sore...I wish you quick healing!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote