New
Find
Notify
Tools

6MM/243 for medium game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If we could avoid the hate retoric I would like to hear some stories about using cartridges of the 243 ilk on medium game. My interest is bullet performance and on game performance. I have some experience with various bullets and have killed deer, antelope and feral hogs with both the 6MM Remington and the 243. Never lost anything hit with either.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have killed several deer with a .243 in my younger years and had great success with 100 grain Sierras and 90 grain ballistic tips

Todays bullet offerings from Barnes and Nosler Accubonds should make for an even better deer killer

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first 6MM was a model 788 and the only factory load I could get for it at the time were boxed as the 244 Remington and held 80 gr. bullets. Topped with a 4X Weaver I dropped a bunch of deer with it, all hit in the ribs at ranges out to 250 yards. Some of the bullets exited but all provided lots of internal damage, impressive even.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son shoots a .243 and has taken kudu, pronghorn, reedbok, springbok, whitetailed deer with it.

He shoots 85 gr TSX bullets.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I along with many other deer stalker a in the UK use the 243 on all deer species from small Roe does to large Red Stags. Put a well constructed 100gn 243 bullet just behind the shoulder for a heart / lung shot and they don't go far. I have also used the 25-06, 7x64, 270 and don't really notice much difference.

When people criticise the 243 for deer, it's not the 243 that's the problem, it's the type of bullet and where it is placed that's the problem. A 75gn varmint bullet is designed to blow up on impact. Put that bullet into the shoulder of a red stag and you are going to have a problem.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I received my 243 Win from my father when I was 12-13 years old. It is still my go to gun when hunting whitetail and antelope. I even carried it this year in CO for mule deer, but never was able to make good things happen on a deer of the caliber I was looking for.

A couple years ago I rebarrelled the old gun and switched my load it the 80 grain Barnes TTSX with Ramshot Hunter powder at 3415 fps. I've taken about a dozen deer/antelope with this combination and still looking to catch a bullet. They zip right thru and leave very impressive blood trails if the target makes it very far at all.

I've had more deer/antelope drop within 0-25 yards then make it outside of 25 yards with this jewel of a combination.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed elk,deer,antelope and a couple bear
with a 243.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .243 is a great little caliber. I have a Sako Forester that's a tack driver and I handload 100 grain Hornady BTSPs with 50 grains of IMR 4064 for antelope and smaller game, but have also taken whitetails with it with no problem. I usually go up to my Ruger M77 in 25-06 for mulies and for antelope if it's real windy in Wyoming where I hunt every year. Some think the .243 is also an elk cartridge, but IMHO unless it's the only rifle you have I would go up to at least a 25 caliber and preferably even bigger for elk, moose, etc.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've taken deer and antelope with the 243 mostly with the 85 grain Partition.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
My son (then 14yo) used a Parker Hale .243 and 100 grain Partitions in Africa to take a list of game up to and including Impala.

As Heym SR20 said, its all about the bullet and placement.

Latest Camel with a quatering away shot that went behind the R forleg and forward into the heart with a 100 Sierra SptBt..(Mind you, I wasn't too happy with him taking that shot)

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have shot red deer with 243 Win in New Zealand and they do kill well MOST of the time. The problem is in thick bush like we have here, where the animal can run 100 meters and drop across a couple of ridges & gullies.

The 243 Win was very popular here in the 1990s and was equal favourite with the 308 Win. But they have both largely been replaced by the 7mm08 in all the gun shops over the last 10 years.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Personally I enjoy carrying large calibers with stout bullets that I'm sure will penetrate to the vitals at any angle, but with that said I've had clients consistently show terrific success with the .243 and 6mm. I've always said I'd much rather have someone shooting a .243 that they shoot really well than a .300 that makes them nervous and flinchy.

Placement is king, penetration is queen... the rest of the garbage we argue about doesn't matter much.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I shoot deer with .243s often enough, and have done so for fifty odd years. I have four of them and use 80grain TTSXs or 85 grain TSXs in them and have never with those bullets felt that they were any less effective on deer than the bgger rounds I use.

I have seen better than 30 inches of penetration out of them and red soup inside the chest is the general outcome.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a number of large mule deer with my 243 and I shot one spike bull with it. I was hunting with my pack goats and this bull saw my goats. It completely ignored me and was only looking at the goats. I shot him through the ribs at 80 yards with a 100 gr hornady flat base. He ran for about 50 yards and piled up just like he was shot with a mag. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot anything big with a 6mm, but it's been plenty good enough on several antelope, most of the time with 85-grain partition bullets. They don't go far, pile up at about the same distance as the ones shot with my friend's 30-06.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used a 243 on a huge dall ram, couple of caribou, and numerous black tail deer. Worked as well as any caliber. Bullet was a 90 grain Barnes original if memory serves me correctly.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally have had adequate penetration with most of the bullets I have used. When I started reloading for the first 6MM I used the 105 grain Speer Hotcors exclusivly with great results. The haters were in full swing back then but I could not understand why as destruction and penetration were just fine. I have never used the partitions or any monometal bullet in the 6MM bore size but have had a great deal of use with the old corelokt, the 95 gr. Ballistic tips, 100 gr. Nosler solid base bullets and the Hornady BTSP. I have also recovered more bullets fired from 243/6MM rounds than heavier rounds but the deer that gave them up were plenty dead. Recently I tested some 70 gr. Nosler BT against some 100 grain Federal Powershok factory loads in gallon water jugs and the 70 grain bullet beat the 100 gr. powershok out in penetration. The Powershok went to pieces, the Nosler bullet lost it's core but the solid base an the rest of the jacket made it into 1 more jug than the powershok. One could argue neither was all that good but in my experience any bullet that makes it thru 2 gallon jugs of water penetrates well enough for a lot of deer and antelope hunting. The powershok stayed in the second jug, the Ballistic Tip was in the third. Shot at 100 yards.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palidun:
Recently I tested some 70 gr. Nosler BT against some 100 grain Federal Powershok factory loads in gallon water jugs and the 70 grain bullet beat the 100 gr. powershok out in penetration. The Powershok went to pieces, the Nosler bullet lost it's core but the solid base an the rest of the jacket made it into 1 more jug than the powershok. One could argue neither was all that good but in my experience any bullet that makes it thru 2 gallon jugs of water penetrates well enough for a lot of deer and antelope hunting. The powershok stayed in the second jug, the Ballistic Tip was in the third. Shot at 100 yards.

I've shot thru as many as 6 milk jugs filled with water and still haven't caught an 80 grain Barnes TTSX with my load at 100 yards. This was with 4 half gallon jugs up front and 2 - 1 gallon jugs on the backside.

I tired it again recently with 6 - 1 gallon jugs, but the bullet exited out the side of the 4th milk jug. I'll try it again when I get a chance.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
My son (then 14yo) used a Parker Hale .243 and 100 grain Partitions in Africa to take a list of game up to and including Impala.

As Heym SR20 said, its all about the bullet and placement.

Latest Camel with a quatering away shot that went behind the R forleg and forward into the heart with a 100 Sierra SptBt..(Mind you, I wasn't too happy with him taking that shot)

Nuff Said

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Quartering away is a nice shot for a light rifle round. Ribs in, Vitals out. No shoulder to have to break. Quartering towards, you have to break some bone usually.
Anecdotal only but I had a hunting buddy who killed many, many big mule deer and last count 17 or so Elk with a 243 and the 87 grain Sierra HP bullet. I don't know why it worked other than he shot it like a laser but he broke bone and killed game. Last I heard, his wife was still killing game with it.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady do a 95gr SST which when I had a .243 thought was the best bullet out there

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I put this doe antelope on the ground in about 2 steps as she was about to go under the fence to the neighbor's property.

I had to anchor her with the fear she would make it under the fence.

The TTSX broke both shoulders on it's way to parts unknown. Shot distance was 228 yards.

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might seem strange to some but when you are hunting brushy ranch property with plenty of cows on it limited penetration is a good thing. I will someday try some of the Monometal bullets though. probably test the Partition first.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palidun:
It might seem strange to some but when you are hunting brushy ranch property with plenty of cows on it limited penetration is a good thing. I will someday try some of the Monometal bullets though. probably test the Partition first.

Completely understandable!

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Here in WA the minimum caliber is the 243. I've always considered it too small for deer sized game, but its extensive use here has changed that opinion. I track wounded game with a blood tracking hound, and I've never had a 243 shot deer that required tracking. Lots of other calibers for sure, but never the 243. Certainly not definitive but enough to make me a believer.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote