New
Find
Notify
Tools

whitetail deers sense of smell
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see all the sent lock suits ect out there for hunters to buy, but always wondered where the deer are that are so spooked by human smell? I wear my work clothes that smell like, well, work, meaning cattle and sawdust, chainsaw smoke ect. I kicked a pile of apples up from under a wild apple tree on the edge of one of my fields, and pissed on them Eeker The next day, they were all eaten, tracks all over. I now wonder if they just dont care, or have I got something good going on here Smiler If I have a beer or two tonight, I should have the first bottles for sale first thing in the morning. Big Grin

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting clothes are kinda like fishing lures.

You do understand don't you that most fishing lures are designed to "catch" fishermen than catch fish...... Right?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
put the ashes from your pipe or cigar in with corn feed them the corn year round then smoke while you hunt works great for me.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I now wonder if they just dont care,

I like that answer, and feel like unless it whistles by their head, or throws dirt upon them, they are the same way about gun shots.

Ever seen a deer spook out from a loud clap of thunder.

but always wondered where the deer are that are so spooked by human smell?

There maybe be someplace, but I think that the majority of whitetails in the U.S. are never completely out of smell/sound and possibly sight of humans. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
I suspect that smell in the air is more important than smell on the ground. A wind shift when you are close by will send them running but I don't think they care much if you've left scent from walking by (or pissing on their apples).

Sound and movement tend to cause a stronger reaction in my experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of acclimation and patterns. You live every day with the sounds of cars and airplanes and so do they. Eastern WTs smell humans every day and hear cars and planes. Farmers will tell you that in short order the deer will all but ignore a tractor or combine.
It's the changes that they notice. Like people dressed up like scent blocker bushes trying to sneak thru the woods with the wind at their back.
Allen D. told the truth. You folks that bought the scent blocket clothes, I hope you saved the receipts. 'cause if a dog can smell a sack of dope supended in a gas tank, a deer can smell you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UGA did some fascinating work with scent and whitetails a few years back, and Kroll and Jacobson also, with all that crap sold to make "mock scrapes", found that the stuff you spray to make your car smell like a new one drew more deer than any commercial urine, scent, etc.
Human scent will spook deer under most circumstances if it's from close to them, and if they are not acclimated to it on a daily basis. In backcountry areas where not many people ever go, it is definitely a concern, and there is nothing you can do, spray on, put on, etc to completely fool a deer's nose. I hunt the wind and leave the rest to the Almighty. It's worked out fine so far...
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Scent-Lok, here's an interesting tidbit. -TONY

Suit says clothes don't pass smell test

Four Minnesotans claim that a company that makes scent-disguising clothing has duped hunters out of millions of dollars by selling them a product that doesn't work.

By Doug Smith, Star Tribune

September 23, 2007

Deer hunters know that if a whitetail's sensitive snout gets wind of human scent, it'll flee in alarm -- and the hunt is over.

That's why hunters, including 500,000 in Minnesota, spend millions of dollars each year buying special hunting clothing with activated carbon that promises to eliminate human odors.

Now that clothing, which has been on the market for about a dozen years and is sold by virtually every major outdoor retailer in the nation, is under fire.

A lawsuit filed Sept. 13 in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis alleges the clothing doesn't work and that hunters have been -- and continue to be -- defrauded.

The suit was filed against ALS Enterprises Inc. of Muskegon, Mich., which produces and licenses "Scent-Lok" clothing sold under that name and others, including ScentBlocker. The suit says the company is the largest maker of such clothing and licenses it to at least 22 others, including Gander Mountain Co., Cabela's Inc., Bass Pro Shops Inc. and Browning Arms Co. Those four firms also are named as defendants.

The suit alleges the five firms conspired to deceive consumers and suppressed and concealed the truth. "Consumers have been duped into spending significant amounts of money on a product that does not work as represented," the suit says.

A spokesman for Gander Mountain, the only Minnesota-based firm being sued, declined to comment. Mike Andrews, vice president of marketing for ALS, said the suit is without merit.

"We've done years of research ... we have hundreds of testimonials from consumers over the years," he said last week. "We know it works. And we're excited about the opportunity to prove to the world once and for all how effective our product is."

Added Andrews: "We have a written guarantee that says you'll experience unalarmed wild animals downwind. You don't build this kind of business on something that's not true."

The company says testing done for it by Intertek Testing Services in Cortland, N.Y., has shown its fabric performs as claimed. It also cites supportive studies by S. Holger Eichhorn of the University of Windsor in Ontario and Donald B. Thompson of North Carolina State University.

ALS is a privately held company, and Andrews wouldn't reveal sales figures, but some have estimated the activated carbon hunting clothing business may be worth $100 million annually.

Four men who bought the clothing -- Mike Buetow of Shakopee, Theodore Carlson of Edina, Gary Richardson Jr. of St. Paul and Joe Rohrbach of Shakopee -- are named as plaintiffs in the suit. But attorneys are seeking class-action status, meaning it would be argued on behalf of all those who bought the clothing. The suit says "tens of thousands" of Minnesota hunters have been deceived into buying millions of dollars of odor-eliminating clothing.

Buetow, a bow hunter, said he and the others can't comment on the case on the advice of attorneys. He said he bought $1,000 worth of Scent-Lok gear -- including pants, coats, face masks, hats and gloves -- in 2003.

The lawsuit is just the latest salvo fired at ALS and its sellers. The question of whether the company's clothing works as claimed has been the topic of Internet chat rooms for about the past year.

And a Minnesotan -- T.R. Michels, 57, of Burnsville, an outdoor writer, author, hunting guide and frequent hunting seminar speaker who has his own website (www.trmichels.com) -- acknowledges he is responsible for raising much of the stink.

"Hunters have been screwed," he said. "They have been misled. And they [companies] are making tons of money off the stuff."

He said he has no ax to grind and began looking at the clothing because his job as a writer and outdoor expert is to "look into myths and dispell them."

Said Michels: "I was lied to, and that really ticked me off."

He is not involved in the lawsuit, and won't be because, while he has used Scent-Lok clothing, he's never purchased it, he said. However, Michels has questioned the performance of the clothing with the U.S. Patent Office and has posted numerous exchanges he's had with the company on his website and others.

He said outdoor magazines won't write about the issue for fear of losing lucrative advertising dollars for the hunting clothing, and that he has lost freelance work because of his stance.

Everyone claims science is on their side.

ALS has created a new section on the company's website (www.scentlok.com) to explain how the activated carbon adsorbs human odors. (Adsorption is the adhesion of the gas or liquid molecules to the surfaces of solids.) Andrews said independent experts have verified the company's findings.

"It does work as described," Andrews said. "Unfortunately some people refuse to look at the data we've provided."

No one disputes that activated carbon adsorbs odors. But even ALS acknowledges the carbon can become saturated with odors. Andrews says the company's clothing can be "regenerated" or "reactivated" many times by putting it in a regular household dryer for 45 minutes. Then it's ready to adsorb more odors.

"We know that even after several years of use, it still has enough adsorption capacity to overcome big game animals' [scenting ability]," Andrews said.

But the lawsuit and Michels dispute that.

The suit says that dryer temperatures never exceed 150 degrees, but temperatures in excess of 800 degrees are needed to reactivate the carbon, and even then it wouldn't be restored to full adsorptive capacity.

The suit doesn't cite any independent testing done on the clothing that shows it doesn't work.

"Defendants knew or should have known that their odor-eliminating clothing cannot, as a matter of science, eliminate all human odors ... or render a human body scent-invisible to a deer or other game animals," the suit states.

The suit says that had hunters known that the clothing doesn't eliminate all human odors and cannot be regenerated in household dryers, they wouldn't have bought it.

The suit also claims the defendants violated the Minnesota Consumer Fraud Act, the Minnesota Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, the Minnesota Unlawful Trade Practices Act and involved civil conspiracy.

Andrews said ALS will vigorously fight the suit.

The actual 42-pg lawsuit filed in MN.

The above photograph is blowup of a piece of Scent Lok fabric, about 6.25 x 6.25 inches square. The tiny black dots on the fabric are the carbon particles. You can clearly see that the powdered activated carbon particles (PAC) are not much wider than one of the threads of the fabric, and there doesn't appear to be more than 30% of the fabric covered with powdered activated carbon.

Odors must come into physical contact with the activated carbon before they are "bound" or "adsorbed" to the activated carbon by "electrostatic" or other forces. All odors, including human perspiration odors, will take the "path of least resistance" if they can, meaning they will go around the activated carbon and exit the suit through the large spaces between the small flecks of activated carbon if they can - and they can!

This means that many of the scents and/or odors on the inside of a suit made of this material can exit the suit without coming into contact with any activated carbon - they just go around the carbon. And deer, elk, bear and other animals will smell those odors!

Scent Lok Patent - Rejected by the Patent Office (9/14/07 1:50 PM)

On 9/13/07 the United States Patent Office posted a "Final Rejection Mailed" notice on their web site for Patent # 90007331, which WAS the "double patented" application of Scent Lok for activated carbon clothing for use while hunting. It is illegal to patent something that has already been patented.

What does this "Patent rejection" mean for those companies who have been paying royalties to Scent Lok, or for those companies who have an agreement with Scent Lok, or for those companies who have been bankrupted by Scent Lok for infringing on the now rejected patent application of Scent Lok? It may mean that Scent Lok's demand for royalties for the past 16 years was never enforceable.

The consequences now - who knows? Maybe new technology, with lower clothing prices, for you hunters.

You can find this Patent rejection at: http://www.uspto.gov/ebc/index.html and click on View "Public PAIR". On the next page check the "Application Number" circle, and then type 90007331 in the "*Enter Number" box. You can then click the "Image File Wrapper" and "Transaction History" tabs at the top of the page to view more information.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
I now wonder if they just dont care,

I like that answer, and feel like unless it whistles by their head, or throws dirt upon them, they are the same way about gun shots.

Ever seen a deer spook out from a loud clap of thunder.

but always wondered where the deer are that are so spooked by human smell?

There maybe be someplace, but I think that the majority of whitetails in the U.S. are never completely out of smell/sound and possibly sight of humans. JMO.

I had a chance to watch a whiteatail for almost two hours last weekend on the minnesota opener,and while there where dozens of shots heard,the deer didnt flinch once,although some were very loud.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wear this...

or hunt the wind.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A deer, much the same as a dog, can smell, what your great great grandma had for lunch!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote