Notify
Tools

80 year old lady shoots Mt Lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From the Rapid City Journal website:

quote:
The light was already fading when 80-year-old Martha Smith heard her dog Bo barking furiously outside her Fairburn ranch house late last Thursday afternoon.

She looked outside and saw Bo, a Border collie, facing off with a snarling mountain lion in the yard.

So Smith grabbed her .22 rifle, walked outside and fired a shot at the snarling, spitting lion. She missed. “He was a little uphill and I should have raised the barrel more,†Smith said.

She hadn’t fired the rifle much in recent years.

Smith went back inside and called 911, but the dispatcher had trouble finding someone from Game, Fish & Parks to come out right away and take care of the lion.

So Smith grabbed the .22 again and went back outside where Bo was keeping the lion at bay.

She admits she was a little nervous because she couldn’t see well enough to tell whether the lion was big or small. “All I could see was three feet of tail switching and it was snarling and spitting at me,†she said.

“I knew I’d have to kill him. You can’t have a mountain lion in your yard,†she said.

She walked to within about 20-25 feet of the lion and fired. “I got as close as I could,†Smith said. “I figured he’d run. I waited until he lifted his leg to run, and I got him right in the chest where his heart would be.â€

Smith, a retired nurse anesthetist who has also doctored dogs and cats on the ranch, said she had a good idea where the lion’s heart was located.

She hit him with one shot. The lion jumped up, ran a short distance and dropped to the ground.

Smith went outside her yard gate and found the cat dead.

A GF&P staffer showed up a few hours later, measured the cat and brought it to Rapid City.

GF&P regional wildlife manager John Kanta estimated the 6-month-old lion weighed 30-40 pounds.

Smith said initially she was worried whether the young lion’s mother was around.

But the young cat had been fitted with a collar, so GF&P was able to determine that its mother had been shot by a hunter last fall.

“Thank God he was little because I don’t think my .22 would have killed a big one,†Smith said.

Kanta agreed that a .22 rifle probably wouldn’t have killed a full-grown lion. GF&P staffers use high-powered rifles when they have to kill a problem lion.

Smith says she would like to get the cat mounted and display it at Fairburn’s new museum. Kanta said GF&P does not return mountain lion carcasses to private individuals but does allow lion carcasses to be mounted and loaned to public places, such as museums, where they can be exhibited for educational purposes. The state retains ownership, he said.

Kanta said Smith was justified in shooting the lion because she was protecting her property and her animals.

Smith lives alone on the family ranch where she was raised and learned to shoot. “My sister and I were taught to shoot when we were young. We were put on a horse with our lunch and a gun and we were sent to the pasture to herd sheep,†she said. “So you learn to shoot, you know, rattlesnakes and rabbits and coyotes.â€

Smith said she isn’t a hunter and doesn’t do a lot of shooting. “But a person never forgets how to shoot,†she said.

Smith also has a bigger rifle, a .30-.30, but it kicks too hard so she isn’t keeping it loaded until a neighbor finishes making lighter-load rounds for her.

But Smith said she always keeps her .22 rifle loaded. She said, “What good’s a gun if it’s not loaded?â€

I found this interesting, thought some of you may want to read it.

BTW, Fairburn is located about 20 miles S. of Rapid City, SD. On the East side of the Black Hills.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I can't believe it.

I am just shocked that she didn't flail her arms in the air, scream and belly ache, wring her hands, cry out, "Somebody's gotta do something, somebody save me!" I can't believe she didn't call CNN. I can't believe she didn't organize a protest march, e-mail her congressman demanding new regulations or legislation.

I can't believe she saw a problem, took responsibility for the problem and took action to resolve it.

Oh nuts, I just went back and re read the article. sorry folks, I thought it said she was a 32 year old from California. I see she is an 80 year old from South Dakota. That explaines her sound judgement and strong character.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
From the Rapid City Journal website:

[QUOTE]
“I knew I’d have to kill him. You can’t have a mountain lion in your yard,†she said.

Sounds like a solid argument to me. Smiler

Good on her.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
It is absolutely amazing talking with some of these more "mature" persons from western SD.

I have met many an older lady that have this exact mentality. Wonderful people to talk to and learn from.

Very independent lot, just like alot of the west and Alaska.

There are too many Gov't agencies and other types of people that think we should let someone else take care of the problems.

Notice, she did try and do the PC thing by calling the GFP. Then took care of her problem.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think its a real shame to kill a cat like that. I think it was just misunderstood. Perhaps if she had taken the time to rub it on the belly and scratch it behind the ears and try to understand the cat's inner needs and "id" she would not have had to kill it.

Whoa. Where did that come from? Sorry about that. I've been living in Washington State too long!

They just don't make women like that anymore!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote