THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best Hunting and Fishing State in the lower 48?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Hunting and Fishing State in the lower 48?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted
Lets here about the State with the best Hunting and Fishing in your opinion.Idaho has:

1-Elk..Either sex without a draw.
2-Deer..Either Sex..Mulies or Whitetails.
3-Bear..Two Bears and Bait and Dogs are legal.
4-Moose..They are a draw.
5-Cougers..Yep and lots of them.

On one hunt you can shoot a Cow or a Bull Elk along with either sex Deer(Whitetail or Mulie) and a Bear or Couger and all the Grouse you can hit plus a Moose if you draw.

Fishing is unsurpassed and at the same time as Hunting if your luck isn't doing well the Fishing will perk you up.30+ pound Trout and Dollies plus lots of Muskie/Sturgeon and every creek is full of Brookies along with Salmon and Stealhead.

One of my favorite areas I used to work..

Full of lots of Large Fish and lots of Game.

Wheres your choice in the lower 48?
Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I may be biased, but I have to go for IDAHO....

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't a state, but a province. I'll vote for British Columbia. Black bears, brown (grizzly) bears, bighorn sheep, Dall sheep, Stone sheep, mountain goats, mule deer, whitetail deer, blacktail deer, elk, caribou, moose, wolves, cougars, lynx, and other 'small stuff,' not to mention ptarmigan, forest grouse (3 species), sharptailed grouse, chukar, quail, and odd others.

Add into that mix, huge amounts of public lands on which to hunt, forest roads for access, little competition, and fishing if you get bored roflmao

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I'd say BC is the Serengeti of NA

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
The lower 48 States does not include Canada.Play fair guys..The United States Of America. jump

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
idaho's nice, wyoming is nice, the dakotas are nice,....but they are all just a precursor to the best state:

MONTANA.

small game/furbearers
upland game birds
waterfowl
turkey
antelope
deer (both species)
elk
bighorn sheep
mountain goat
bear
moose
mountain lion
several species of trout
walleye
northern pike
muskellunge
catfish
large and smallmouth bass
panfish of all kinds

and many more that i am sure i forgot; ALL in abundant numbers.

not to mention every type of terrain, scenery and habitat imaginable: mountians, prairie, plains, basins, valleys, coulees, buttes, desert, riverbottoms, grassland, hills, rocks, cottonwooods, pines, willows, glaciers, rivers, lakes, creeks, reservoirs, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
tasunkawitko

I am curious about Montana...Can you hunt Elk(Either Sex) and Deer (Either Sex Mulie/Whitetail) and Bear and the rest at the same time with an over the counter tag without a draw?

I love Montana.My uncle was the Super on the Hungryhorse Dam.We were there every year for years and it is perty country.My long lost cousins husband was an outfitter out of Kallispel/Whitefish with one of those jet boats with a prop on the rear like in Florida...

Great country...

Jayco

one of us
posted Hide Post
if you are a resident, the answer is yes. i think you have to buy all tags separate, but tehre is also something called a sportsman's license, which combines several animals and includes fishing, birds and, i think, trapping.

i really only hunt deer and antelope, so i 've never bought one. if i want to hunt elk, it's only 16$, so i have never bothered with a combination license.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote also goes for "The Big Sky Country"(Montana). Great place for the outdoorsman. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
really have two choices. I guess I'd have to answer Idaho first for a working person, because of better job availability. Montana would be my hands-down favorite if I were single, or retired and could support myself anywhere.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas

You can shoot anything from impala to kudu to whitetails to quail - if you have the cash.

Fishing is great as well - salt water and fresh.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jacocreek

I just moved to Wyoming after 22 years in Alaska but I did do some hunting in WA, MT, TX and ID before moving down here. Overall I liked ID the best. It seems a guy even a nonresident can do a lot there without having to mess with the draw. I particular found the 2 buck limit for some truly outstanding whitetails and the late season archery for 2 bucks and an elk very attrative.

I was only there in Unit 1 on one hunt for cougar but we saw loads of deer, some moose and got our cougar on the 3rd day and he definitely was not the only cat around.

I'm sure Wyoming will be very good hunting. Some elk hunting nearby is really fantastic but we have the draw system which I understand the reason for but it does make things complicated and difficult to plan.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Mark-Good luck in Wyoming and I hope it works great for you.Idaho like the rest is changing rapidly but the hunting if you know where your going like you did is still great.I love it up there around Priest Lake,Especially the fishing and the huntin is not to bad either and I am glad you got what you were after.

It seems lots of people off of the AR forum hunt Idaho especially Bear very close to where I live.I have a few things going on or I would take the short trip to Elk City and meet the boys there from AR now....Maybe next time..

Jayco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How hard is it to get nr tags in Idaho? I'd love to go on a hunt there sometime. Go to Sand Point every summer and think it'd be great hunting north of there.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry! Wyoming has them all beat!

Most remote in the lower 48, least populated state in the USA! No taxes! Elk hunting is fantastic, except in the wolf areas! Lion, bear, sheep, moose,deer both WT and MD,Mt.Goat,turkey,antelope, small game and fishing! And 50% of the state is public!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
montana's got all that, plus fewer weirdos. Wink

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Now this is a tough call,

To see the most animals during hunting season
I would say Wyoming.
To be able to hnt any and all game at the same time I go with Idaho.

If I could'nt live in Idaho,Wyoming or Montana
I don't know what the hell I would do.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3075 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
The only thing Wyoming lacks is good duck hunting and warm water fishing. Walleye fishing here is excellent, but I find walleye fishing about as exciting as tasunkawitko's avatar. If you can get a license, it's tough to beat our big game hunting.

If it were 20 years earlier, I think Colorado would rank high as well. It's way too Kalifornicated now though, and all of my old goose hunting spots are covered with urban development. My best cornfield is now a mall.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You must mean the lower 48??

ALASKA!!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That pic looks like Lake PendOrielle, Cape Horn, taken at a turnout overlooking a recent slide on the old mine rd into lakeview?? This rd takes off @ 4 or 5 mile of the Bunko/1050??

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Montana sucks, you'll hate it, don't come here, the snow never stops, tell all your friends...

one of us
posted Hide Post
and it's cold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
and windy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
in fact, forget what i said up in the eariler post. the truth is that montana sucks, just like brad said!

and don't forget to tell your friends!

Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
That pic looks like Lake PendOrielle, Cape Horn, taken at a turnout overlooking a recent slide on the old mine rd into lakeview?? This rd takes off @ mile 4 or 5 of the Bunko/1050??

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That pic looks like Lake PendOrielle, Cape Horn, taken at a turnout overlooking a recent slide on the old mine rd into lakeview?? This rd takes off @ mile 4 or 5 of the Bunko/1050??

Actually it is above Garfield Bay on the West side of the lake.I know where your talking though as I worked above Lakeview.We finally had to take a boat across the lake as it took to long to drive around through Lakeview and the Boat was much quicker cutting across from Bayview.

Jayco

one of us
posted Hide Post
If Alaska had the regs of normal states to where they let you shoot moose and didnt kiss the tourist bus companies and hunting guides butts it would be heaven.I hunted Montana last year and if I had gone there first ionstead of Alaska ,I think I would have only visited Alaska.I think the road system of Alaska will become a no hunting place for the Japanese Tour companies to rule the state as far as wildlife goes.There are more moose hit by cars than shot by hunters.The fish and game wants you to have to fly out to hunt moose so they dont have the hassel of hunters to fool with.I found the Montana Fish and game way more hunter friendly that Alaska will ever be.The combining of the state troopers with the Fish and game in Alaska was a very big mistake.The Alaska Govt is about as close as comminism as you can get in the United states.You want people to hunt not quit hunting because it has become too hard or too complicated.They save the moose for the bears ,wolves and your car not your freezer.I really like Montana wide open spaces with out a zillion rules and regs that you cant understand .It will be a shame when Alaska is open only to Govt guided hunts.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Guess which one I vote for.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and windy.

this is, of course, my opinion only.

You have never seen windy! Why it's so windy in Wy. that we send dirt to Colorado!

And we all know why it's so windy here! Yeah, Cuz, Montana blows and Colorado sucks! wave

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
And we all know why it's so windy here! Yeah, Cuz, Montana blows and Colorado sucks!

Where I was living the joke was that
Utah sucked and Nebraska blows. beer

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3075 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
This rd takes off @ mile 4 or 5 of the Bunko

tsturm
I am headed to the over look this sat,ita about 10 miles from my house. wave

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Not to be contrary, but I feel your question is biased towards freshwater fishermen. I haven't done enough to say which state is best for big game hunting, but I can tell you that I've done a lot of fishing in my day and I've yet to hear of any marlin, shark or giant bluefin tuna caught in a landlocked state. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're correct, we don't have the big saltwater fish. But that does give us an excuse to go to Cabo every winter. beer

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
quote:
This rd takes off @ mile 4 or 5 of the Bunko

tsturm
I am headed to the over look this sat,ita about 10 miles from my house. wave

Dam I miss that lake Frowner I still have 4 lots @ Granite Creek between the mail dock & 278) beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaycocreek:

Actually it is above Garfield Bay on the West side of the lake.I know where your talking though as I worked above Lakeview.We finally had to take a boat across the lake as it took to long to drive around through Lakeview and the Boat was much quicker cutting across from Bayview.

Jayco

Ok that's the northern pt. of garfield bay down past the Capns Table and the marina jump Havent made it down for 8 yrs. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Wyoming has no elk, moose, deer, bighorns, goats, antelope, or bear. The fishing is poor, highways overrun with RVs, National Parks are crowded, mosquitos have West Nile, Chronic Wasting disease is spreading, the locals have 6 fingers and marry their cousins. Winter is long, summer doesn't exist. Probably best to hunt and fish someplace else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
don't forget hantavirus!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontMike:
You're correct, we don't have the big saltwater fish. But that does give us an excuse to go to Cabo every winter. beer

Having failed to find a sufficiently snappy retort, I'll say instead that that was a brilliant observation, and damned funny to boot. Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You're right, Montana is way too cold. I never see any deer or elk when I go, too many grizz & mountain lion too (maybe that will keep them away). Wink

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How hard is it to get nr tags in Idaho? I'd love to go on a hunt there sometime. Go to Sand Point every summer and think it'd be great hunting north of there.

I hunt this area every year. Its great country, the other good area is southeast of SP towards the Montana border. Thompson Falls is the closest town from where I drop off from the border/ridgeline down into Idaho.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote