New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southern Alberta Moose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Post rut bull Moose, if nothing else, are predictable. At least in my limited experience hunting them. When they like a particular area they tend to be there year after year. If not today then tomorrow. I’m not sure if you could pattern them per say, but you will find them close if you look. Like most other big game animals, make sure it is early or late and despite their size use your binoculars.

In Southern Alberta our opportunity to hunt them is limited. If you start applying for a tag when your new bouncing baby boy is born, he may leave home before you draw a tag and for darn sure will taking calculus prepping himself for University. But friends and family draw tags and they roam in whitetail country and partner licenses are available, so you can tag along hunting them more than every other decade if you wish.

On year 16 my wife drew a tag in 2014. While not the passionate hunter I might be considered, she does hunt, enjoys the time outdoors, and is keen on fresh meat in the freezer. As a consequence, I do the hunting prep work with permissions, sharpening knives, selecting gear, picking rifles and appropriate bullets etc. You know the tedious stuff that make most outsiders yawn at the thought of such mundane activities (kinda like shopping for golf pants I guess). She also prefers nicer weather than not but won’t complain either way.

So with weather in mind, we figured opening day was as good as any and then set out to procure grandparents to watch the three offspring. Given our tendency to have a date night once or twice a year whether needed or not over the last 16 years of marriage (we’ve gone from poor, to not as poor and busy) we figured to make it not only a Moose hunt, but also a date. Effectively killing two grouse with one stone as they say. If we weren’t successful on opening day, parts or all of the crew in turn would accompany us throughout the season.

The forecast for the opener was perfect for warm toes and ears, which pleased my spouse beyond words. Nonetheless, late fall mornings in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains are always cool and we miraculously seemed to be sidestepping the wind. Always hard to do this time of year in Southern Alberta. But forecasts are not always right so only the morning would give an honest picture of what the day would really bring.

There was a bit of tension in the air as we made the long hike with packs on our backs. It was cool and calm and the silence made things a bit tense for the walk in. There had been enough Grizzly incidents in the area in the past couple of weeks to make the imagination run wild as we silently moved along in the darkness. I warned my wife that often I have bumped whitetails as I moved along these trails in the dark so not to be too alarmed if we heard something along the way.

Skirting the Moose inhabited bog to the North and then East was the initial plan of attack. If nothing was spotted in some likely spots we would make are way to higher ground to the South and look into willow-choked swamp for any lingering or bedded bulls that could not be seen from ground level. It is a great way to see Moose but getting onto them once located is a different matter altogether.
Legal light was approaching fast as I noticed, through my binoculars, that a half a dozen small bulls were feeding along the aspens directly East of us. I could only imagine black bodies as I saw their white-panned antlers bobbing up and down in the pre dawn shadows. It was tough to remain quiet as we sloshed through the marshy ground that surrounded the large bog. It was wetter this year than it had been in recent past, and it forced us to slow our pace to try and remain audibly undetected.

To avoid bumping something in the blackness, I was careful to only proceed after I had thoroughly scanned ahead with the aid of binoculars. Finally it opened up to the South and I could see into country I had seen good bulls in before. Legal shooting light was fast approaching when I spotted a Moose that looked like a promising prospect. He knew something was up and was looking our direction. We slowly hunkered down and I started to retrieve my spotting scope for a closer look.

Face on it was tough to tell what kind of a bull we were looking at. As the light continued to improve things became clearer as they always do. Then through my binoculars I could see him turn his head and quickly shifted to the spotting scope. That view showed a great front end and good pans for the area we were hunting in. I said, “I think this is our bull” and my wife, more concerned with roasts for the crock pot readily agreed and with legal light well upon us she figured we ought to do something about it.

The report of the 338 Winchester Magnum broke that tense surprise a Grizzly Bear silence. I immediately saw the bull react through my optics and almost as quickly the audible dull whomp of the 225 grain Barnes TSX hitting chest confirmed what I had seen. He lunged forward, then stopped and proceeded to do the four legged moon walk ending in a backwards somersault onto his ears. It was over before a second shot could be fired. “He went down quickly for a Moose” I blurted!

Convinced he was not getting up, we gathered our things. For some reason this is the point in the hunt that I tend to leave pieces of gear in the grass. So I carefully made sure I had everything while my hunting companion kept an eye on her steaks. He was indeed planted where he fell and we spent a minute or two looking at what I knew was going to be a bunch of work. With that in mind I quickly called family to let them know of our success and that a horse or two might be handy if they showed up in a couple of hours.

We wrestled him into position to get a few pictures and then the work started. Everything came off the topside and then he was rolled over for the same treatment on the other. It was warm enough that I was in my shirtsleeves before long and I was glad I brought lots of liquid. Gatorade or water is worth its weight in gold in my opinion! My razor sharp Gene Ingram Yellow Jacket and CRKT Krommer 2 Shot did their job and are still sharp enough to take apart a Whitetail if I’m lucky enough to find one. Good sharp knives are always a nice companion.

Horses arrived shortly after our work was done and a couple of trips had the bull to the vehicle. The season seemed awful short in retrospect, but I have never had a better time. My beautiful wife and best friend makes a fantastic hunting companion and we both agreed that it was one of the best days we have spent out of doors. A repeat date is tentatively penciled in for October 2030.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice moose

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good job! I love a moose hunt.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great looking bull and great report. Congratulations. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Nice bull Chuck, awesome story that you penned too.
I wish my mama would come out hunting with me...your a lucky man!

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull and story Chuck. Looks like a great hunt.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Beautiful lady, serious bull! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunt report. It is a great thing to have a wife that will join us in what is really our passion.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
wow what a moose...love the symmetry up front

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice lady with a very nice bull. Big congrats to you both. I have fond memories of Sadie and I shooting several moose together when we lived in Alaska. Those kind of hunts and the following work tend to define the type of relationship a couple might have.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Great in every way. Thanks for posting.

Ted

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull!

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason this is the point in the hunt that I tend to leave pieces of gear in the grass.

And I thought I was the only one that did that.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Great report,,your wife did good! Nice guideing job.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
simply outstanding clap

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
way to go.

left handed rifles are better for sure Chuck.

Phil

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ripper report an photos.

WL

Posts: 63 | Location: N.E Vic- Awwstraya | Registered: 24 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Very nice report Chuck. Congrats to your wife.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the report and pics well done on a good Bull. Looks like she put a TSX thru the heart, a Waidmannsheil to her for that!

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote