New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 165gr Accubond for Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any Experiences or observations of .308 165gr Accubonds on Elk?
I have my 30-06 Dialed in with the Nosler Custom 165gr AB's, sub MOA in my rifle. I like having a one load option for this rifle, would you hesitate to use this on Elk?

mg

Thanks, Mark G
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes that is perfect Elk medicine. If you do your part that bullet in a 30/06 will not let you down.
Yeah some guys will tell you that you need a 180 grain bullet or a 300 Win Mag as a minimum but neither of those are required to kill Elk.
Modern bullets changed the whole weight thing.
You will be lucky to recover a bullet unless you take a raking shot, they will probably pass thru.
Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate to use it. My last moose was shot with the 165 Accubond out of my .30-06 at a distance of 240 yards. Broadside double lung and complete pass through. Walked about 10 yards in a tight little circle and fell over.

Not a huge Canada moose, probably 1000 pounds on the hoof. Where I was hunting I could have taken an elk or a moose........ happened to be a "freezer moose" I saw first.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 165 grain Hornady interbond in a '06 for many elk. If you put it where it goes, it will do a fine job.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I used a 165 grain Hornady interbond in a '06 for many elk. If you put it where it goes, it will do a fine job.

I used the 165 grain Hornady interlock in my 308 Win., for all my hunting in Idaho 30 years ago. It took deer, elk and bear with no problems.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 165gr Sierra hollowpoint in my 308 Win on Deer, Aoudad, and elk. Works fine. Rarely any need for a 2d shot.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Accubonds perform very much like a Nosler Partition except that they lose less mass early on. They don't penetrate quite as deep as the Partition's rear end because they are pushing a larger frontal area. Expansion appears to be quick enough to provide adequate trauma, but since they hold together pretty well they also penetrate fairly deep.

I used a 180 Accubond on my last elk, but it would have been just as one-shot dead if the bullet had been a 165 Accubond.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It just might work
Wink

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 6 years ago I saw a cow elk looking at me with her head up at something around 200 yards. From a prone position the 165 grain Partition out of a 30/06 hit directly in the center of her chest. Bullet did not hit any bone and traveled directly under the spine and stopped in the tenderloin. That's a lot of penetration. Elk fell backward not straight down. Tremendous impact. Yes 165 grains is enough.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swedes kill a lot of moose with the 6.5 x 55.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I can have my cake and eat it too; with my one load option for this 30-06.

Thanks, Mark G
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote