Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Antelope Draw
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted
Does anybody know when the Wyoming antelope draw results will be out? I know the "official" announcement is later in the month but didn't they release the results in early June the last few years?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The drawing is on June 20.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The drawing isn't on the 20th. That's the day the results will be posted and since that's on a Saturday it will be before the end of next week. Based on previous years I'm guessing next Wednesday.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Good luck to all in the antelope draw. Good hunting on public land.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Results will be posted tomorrow, Friday, at 10 am.

Best of luck!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I drew an "any antelope" tag but struck out on getting a doe/fawn tag.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
I drew an "any antelope" tag

Congratulations! Which area?

I did not draw a thing this year. I am doing my best to laugh at the absurdity of it all: how many times can you apply for hunts that have 1 in 3 or better odds and never draw for anything with antlers?!

Maybe the guy upstairs is trying to tell me something. Knowing that I'll kill a cow elk for meat late in the year, maybe I should buy a general deer tag and place all my eggs into that basket. I did see some good deer in their wintering grounds. Maybe I can find them during the season.

I guess it is better to laugh than cry, right?

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter will be going on her first "out west" hunt this year. dancing

We drew our antelope tags.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congratulations! Which area?

Area 42.

At least you can go for deer and cow elk. A cow elk hunt in NM was my backup plan if I hadn't drawn in WY.

I can't wait for September, I love WY.

No longer Bigasanelk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody was smiling on me. Drew two doe tags for area 114. Thanks for the information Jason - please don't hate me.

Looking forward to getting up that way.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joe25/06:
Somebody was smiling on me. Drew two doe tags for area 114. Thanks for the information Jason - please don't hate me.

Looking forward to getting up that way.

I was trying to draw a buck tag so it is not like you got my tag.
Cool

I know just the ranch for you to fill those two tags. We'll have to talk as I just ran across my note with the rancher's name and phone number. Heck, as I will have some free time around then(boo hoo!) maybe we can drive up and help you find a couple of does.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Anyone got any clues for units to pick up left over Doe/Fawn tags?

I have a couple of leads, but everything will have to be put together really fast. Lora and I haven't hunted speed goats since 1997 and don't mind making the drive from Texas to Wyoming to get the chance.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC
There will be a list prior to the sale.
They go very quick.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
The list is up now I believe.

Ravenr, what did you draw?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up a deer tag and add. cow.
Really wanted the deer tag dancing

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There will be a list prior to the sale.

Yes according to the web site the list is supposed to be ready on July 10 and the tags go on sale the 15th.

I was working on it last year but things went a different direction and we ended up going to the Gulf to get in some fishing.

I am looking at a couple of units around Cody or a couple around Sheridan.

I will just be doing some phone work as soon as the list comes out.

If I can get my act together hopefully I can get the tags.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC---The leftover list has been up on the site since the draw results were posted Friday morning. The leftovers are on this link and are few and far between for antelope where there is any real accessible public land that many people know about.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/QuotaAvai...lectionCriteria.aspx

There are still 560 tags left up in unit 15 east of Sheridan and there are two huge chunks of state land that state hwy 14 hits, as well as a couple big chunks west and nw of Ulm that CR 161 hits. That's probably your best bet at hunting public land or start calling ranchers up in that whole area in units 15 (560 tags), 16 (316 tags), 17 (214 tags), or 109 (248 tags). Then there is always unit 23 to the sw of Gillette with 932 tags left. A lot of ranchers will let you shoot does for free down in that unit after the first week is over, but I don't know about the private ranches up toward Sheridan. Good luck! I drew my Region G buck deer tag with 6PPs and am going with my best buddy, who lives in Sheridan, on a high country horseback hunt near Afton in late September.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

There are units where paying a trespass fee is an acceptable option, I have killed a good speed goat buck and all Lora and I are interested in is does/fawns.

I know that doesn't make sense to a lot of folks to drive from Texas to Wyoming to hunt slick heads, but we like eating pronghorns as much as we like hunting them and horns make really thin gravy.

Add to that, that me and her both like being in Wyoming, it is worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More and more people are finding out that antelope are good eating if you take care of them properly and that's why so many more tags are going in the draw. I don't buy anything other than the doe tags because I've shot 3 good bucks on the three tags I've drawn and don't need to shoot any more horns. I'll be out there for two months again this year and I sort of call Wyoming my second home because I love it so much out there!

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
More and more people are finding out that antelope are good eating if you take care of them properly and that's why so many more tags are going in the draw. I don't buy anything other than the doe tags because I've shot 3 good bucks on the three tags I've drawn and don't need to shoot any more horns. I'll be out there for two months again this year and I sort of call Wyoming my second home because I love it so much out there!

Agree on all points! But I'm surprised at how many still say antelope is no good to eat - I've never brought home a bad one yet. Doe Tags - I would have been happy with a doe tag (or, better yet, 2) unfortunately the odds against drawing a doe tag in the area I'm headed are 25 to 1 so I bought the $500+ special tag. Those goofy looking horns don't come cheap! I was feeling a little down after last year's hunt, and a friend asked what was wrong. I said "I may have left Wyoming but Wyoming has not left me." Every now and then I'll take a Google Street View trip to the Cowboy State.

I'm a little surprised that Crazyhorseconsulting needs to go all the way to WY for pronghorn - don't they have speed goats in Texas? I get email ads for TX pronghorn hunts all the time.

No longer Bigasanelk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is really simple on a couple of counts.

Texas speed goats come high, and all I could shoot would be a buck.

I killed a buck here in Texas back in 1995 or so on one of TP&W's Draw Hunt Program. The buck scored 75 & 4/8ths. and I was out a total of $42.00 on that buck.

I really like pronghorn meat, and like elk, after I killed a bull I only hunt cows now. Also, I like going to Wyoming. Besides if I can get hooked up with a landowner and get a place to hunt on in time, with the left over licenses, Lora and I can end up shooting 2 does each, for a lot less than a buck antelope tag anywhere.

Figuring gas and motels or camping Lora and I can do a doe/fawn antelope hunt in Wyoming and get in a couple of extra days sight seeing, cheaper than a buck hunt anywhere.

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Texas speed goats come high

You've got that right! One of the TX antelope hunts offered was pushing 4 grand. If the landowners can get that kind of money from the out-of-staters I suppose there's no reason to give the locals a break.

Going for does and cow elk has its advantages. Years ago I was hunting in northeast Montana and while gassing up a guy noticed my out of state plates. He asked if was out hunting and I said yes. Then he asks if I had any doe antelope tags and I answered that I had 2. He then gets a piece of paper and draws out a map to his place and writes up permission to trespass. On top of that, he (jokingly) said I should find a semi truck and don't stop shooting until it's full. All for free! It was a large wheat farm and the antelope was absolutely delicious.

I don't think it would have been as easy and cheap if I said I was looking for trophy buck.

Still wish I could have drawn a doe tag in WY this year. The area was crawling with goats last year but they only gave out 10 doe tags.

No longer Bigasanelk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC---You can actually legally buy 4 doe tags a piece for $34 each and still be about what it would cost for one buck license. I put in for two and the draw was not kind to me.. The unit I hunt in used to have lots of leftovers until last year and then this year even with 200 tags available it was only about a 50% chance of drawing them. I may end up buying a leftover cow tag after my guided deer hunt if it looks like the elk are in the area like they were last year. You just never know, as last year we had 19 bulls on a hillside one morning at daylight within good shooting distance and not a cow to be seen! The year before I had herds of 300 and 400 go by me and didn't have a tag for either sex.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Topgun. I thought that is the way it was, but wasn't sure so didn't mention it. That is what Lora and I talked about doing.

Eight antelope between two people sounds like a lot, but antelope don't really have a lot of meat on them and family and friends will end up getting some of it.

Picture of danmcqueen
posted Hide Post
I got drawn in area 38 ..one buck and a doe tag
secound year in a row !!!

Posts: 8 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: 11 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can get Antelope buck hunts for about $1700 to $2000 in New Mexico..I think I'm sold out for 2015 but could check around..Good trophy quality on big ranches. I could also check out West Texas form Marfa to Marathon and find some good hunts if they are not sold out..I have a lot of family ranching down there and have booked a lot of hunts in that area over the years..Finding and opening will be the problem, but you never know..Late no shows are the best deals.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote