Find
Notify
Tools

My first bear hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I leave Tuesday for my first black bear hunt! This will be my first hunt of any kind in the wild wild west. I will be hunting with a friend that lives near Vail CO where we will be hunting. Other than my gun, ammo and tag what is THE thing I DON'T want to forget? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Poly pro underwear underwear, good boots and a sharp knife.

Wool or fleece, forget about anythign cotton unless you are in camp.

Stay warm, and enjoy yourself [Smile]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you'll be doing the skinning, a device for sharpening is a must. And if salting the hide yourself afterward, you're in for a real special treat. Good luck!

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt, hope you get a bear. If I was going from Missouri to Vail, I would bring along some oxygen.

Seriously, make sure you carry some water at all times. It will help with the altitude. I would include a compass and or gps.

Layer your clothing. At altitude you can get snow this time of year.

Pete

[ 09-22-2003, 19:05: Message edited by: Quail Wing ]

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I have been doing some running to get in shape. I am familiar with the area I will be hunting as I guided horseback rides there for 3 summers.
Leaving tomarrow can't wait! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote