New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Range Finder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Other than the obvious things, there are a couple of things I really like about the Leica.
1. LED display instead of LCD. You can range it even if its to dark to see it. The number always show up.
2. The case with the buckle. I used to have one that had velcro. Did ya know a deer can hear velcro at over 500 yards? I learned that one that hard way...

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have own the following rangefinders:

Leica Geovid
Leica 800
Bushnell 1000
Bushnell 400

I have had the following on loan for extended periods:

Bushnell Quest LR Binocular
Leupold Wind River LR Binocular
Leica 1200

All work well. The Geovid is hands down the best. The other rangefinders will tell you a deer or antelope is 750 yards away, but they also tell you the tree 15 yards behind is the same range was well. The Geovid will detect differences a few yards at 1000 yards.

The other RFs don't do that well in the UV10 light of Arizona either. Finally, be aware that LRFs have different beam divergences, and beam divergence is to a laser what choke is to a shotgun. The Geovid has the most narrow; the Bushnell are pretty wide.

The Leupold is extremely difficult to use in bright daylight; the numbers wash out.

Finally, be careful with them. The Bushnell 1000 is not very tolerant of being bumped around in a truck. Mine has twice lost its calibration. I guess when you pay $4500 for a LRF, you don't keep in the back of the truck.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote