New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas turkey hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure if this is the place for this, but I'm looking for a Texas turkey lease for next spring. Any advice on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say that deertexas.com is probably your best shot. There's a membership fee, but the site seems to be on the up and up.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I consider turkeys to be the equivalent of deer corn eating feathered rats, I am considering offering some kind of low key commercial turkey hunt for Easterns on my place next year. We've got a fair amount of turkeys, but for some reason they don't seem to get really long beards in this immediate area. I'm told they are fairly hard to hunt (some local turkey heads say there are too many hens). Season is usually the month of April, shotguns only, limit one. I am thinking of something like $250 (kids under 17 with hunting parent(s) would be half price) for 3 days hunting including one extra non-hunting day for scouting if you want it, SELF GUIDED (in the sense that I can tell you where I think/know they are but you'll be UNACCOMPANIED (to repeat, I'm not a turkey hunter and claim no expertise in that area, but generally know where they are) while hunting and to have a reasonable chance of killing one would probably need to be an accomplished turkey hunter/caller with your own blind if you use one). Unless you REALLY like to walk, you would need some kind of transport such as an ATV or if it is dry, AND ONLY IF IT IS DRY, a truck would work. The area you would be hunting is about 2100 acres, which I reserve strictly for hunting (no cattle and thus more turkeys) and is a Tx Parks and Wildlife Level 3 game management area (not high fenced, in fact barely fenced at all). You would likely be the only hunter unless you bring a friend or relative, that is no others will be booked at the same time, I do have one turkey head friend but he doesn't usually hunt very long before he kills one. There would be primitive camping available for a minimum charge and I could probably figure out an electrical hook up for a few more bucks a day. Closest motel is about 30 miles away either in New Boston Texas or Idabel Ok. All game regulations/laws will be obeyed. Hogs are a distinct possibility and would cost $100 for any decent sized one (I dunno, say 75 lbs and up live weight) and hamburger sizes would be free. If you want to hunt hogs, bring a rifle or appropriate pistol. This is blind/stalking hunting, no dogs. I'd let you know before your arrival whether I think hog hunting would be a worthwhile use of your time.

I'm a LONG ways from El Paso, basically where Tx, Ok, and Ar join but if you want to hunt an Eastern, you should have a good chance on my ranch. As if you can't tell, I'm new at this commercial hunting game, but if this interests you or anyone, my email is sixtlghorn@aol.com

PS: Day deer hunting might be available (I'm considering it) for what I consider very reasonable prices with reasonable kill fees, which I haven't figured out yet. If you wanted one, you'd have to be really unlucky not to kill a doe (dry preferred early on). We don't have the real Booners they have other places but do have some nice bucks. Like any whitetails, the bigger they are, the harder they are to successfully hunt. Bow hunters would be cheaper on the day fees. Our deer hunting and GUN SEASON starts Oct 1, if you can stand the heat and mosquitos, although right now it is so dry the mosquitos are standing on the corner with cups, begging for water.

If you plan on walking or scouting in what I call the thicket (about 400 acres), I'd strongly advise a GPS or be comfortable in how to use a compass.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote