THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Talk me into or out of getting a RUger 77 in 338wm

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me into or out of getting a RUger 77 in 338wm
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
I was looking at getting either this or a winchester in stainless for their CRF action with fixed ejectors.
How does ruger's newer zytel synthetic stock perform? I figure i will need a timney trigger and possibly a bedding job... let me know

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I had one 15 years ago and did everything I could think of up to and including glassing the action and barrel solidly to the stock and couldn't make it shoot for beans.

Had a Model 77 in .243 that was just the same.

Get a Winchester.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like the M70 & the MKII, you roll the dice w/ either as far as whether they'll shoot well in factory form. The MKII has base & rings going for it. The M70 has a better trigger & safety. Either way, everyone needs a .338wm. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Stainless 338 Win mag is most likely the most popular and durible gun for Alaska and the lower 48.I have several 338 win mags around 9 total.I have a so called stainless Winchester with a boss.It rusted before I even hunted with it and the Ruger outshot it even wiuth the boss.The Winchester has too thin of a barrel for a 338 win mag.The winchester also had to have the foller and spring in order to feed.It also came with crooked drill scope mounts.I have had to do nothing to my Rugers except shoot the heck out of them.I have shoot 83 deer with 83 shots with my Ruger 77 in 338 win mag.I have seen Ruger Stainless Rifles left on 4 wheelers for weeks at a time with no cleaning.I saw one guy drive oner one of the ugly ruger old style stocks.Mine with a 3x9 Nikon Monarch scope can shoot 3/4" groups at 200 yards with Remington 225 gr factory ammo.They use to use the grand slam speer bullets in these before they made their own.I like the newer stock better than the old one because its easier to shoot with than the old one.Its seems alot better on your cheek.I have had around 500 rounds though my stainless ruger 338 without any problems.I have had the new stock out in 110 degrees to -60 no problems.I dont know if a horse could roll over it like the older ruger on the side one but I like the new stock alot better.I had to go to a Weatherby 338-378 weatherby to get any better preformance for $1000 more .Is it worth the .25 inch group vs 3/8" group at 100 yards not really but the 338-378 added about 300 yards to the range of my 338 win mag.I dont baby the Ruger 338 Stainless model 77s they have been through hell and back.If there is a rifle that you had to survive with the Ruger 77 Mark II stainless 338 win mag would be the one to take.The stainless finish is very durible not a coating like my Winchester has.The Triggers on my Ruger 77 stainless rifles are around 4.5 pounds.It would be better at 3 pounds but I trust this rifle not to go off if its dropped 25 feet.I actually like the old safety better but I decided its worth having the stainless barrel and action and fiberglass stock than the blue wood that the original had.I almost ruined my old blued 338 Ruger up here on my first hunt from rain and snow.Ruger has thye strongest rings bar none.I have never had a scope move on my Ruger 77s.If I was limited to one rifle it would be a Ruger model 77 mark II stainless.I just talked to a guide here and he said thats all he used and would not change for anything.You can get the new stock from Ruger for around $76.It has to be the one for the magunum rifles.You wont be disapointed in a Ruger Model 77 Stainless its the timex of the Rifle world.The recoil is also less from Rugers Medium heavy barrel.I have made many long shots due to the steadiness of these 338 Ruger rifles .Go get one.I am still trying to find one with open sites they quit making them this year.You dont have to bed them mine all shot fine.You just have to find its favorite load.Mine shoot about everything I put through them factory wise 1" or less at 100 yards.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
In the past I have never found Rugers to be consistent. You either get one that works well, or you get a dog. lol

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have varying models of both Ruger as well as Winchester from the last several years of production. I find that Winchester is the one that is hit and miss as of late. The Rugers have been consistently better in QC IMHO as compared to later American made Winchesters.

I just picked up a stainless/laminate Ruger 338WM to convert to a 416Taylor; but this rifle handles and shoots so well out of the box that I changed my mind. As is, it will shoot about any factory ammo no worse than 1 - 1.5MOA for 5 shots. It is well balanced, fairly light and is tough as nails.

As far as triggers go, Winchesters have been the crappiest out of the box by far and the Rugers are easily made near perfect.

As far as the safety is concerned, I prefer the Ruger safety as the Winchester is clunky and loud.

I like iron sight and find that the Winchester stocks are piss poor for fixed sights. I find that the Ruger stocks better fit me for fixed sights yet will still work with scope as the Ruger low ringmounts will mount the scope closer to the barrel axis than those available for Winchester.

I'd suggest handling and shouldering both. If one feels bad to you then pass on it. If you like the Winchester, I'd grab it as they will be gone before too long. But beware, I've seen quite a few that were sloppily machined. Don't know if it was the machine operator or the machinery being worn out; but when the scope mount holes are drilled all over the map, the barrel is not square w/ the receiver and the crown is machined poorly, I'd say something is amiss. Flip side of the coin, the M70 is a fine rifle if you get the bugs(if any) out of it

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any mass produced product can give you great ones or piss poor ones.

Cars and rifles are not any differant.

I like ruger rifles I have serveal of them. Mine are 1.25 to 1.5 inch rifles.

My buddy brought a new MK11 stainless and out of the box it well put 225 gr and 250 gr rem factorys into .750 all day long.

My blued MKII puts them into 1.5. Still a very useful big game rifle. Minute of deer,elk or bear out to 300 yards or a bit farther.

Half inch rifles are nice I have a couple but one really does not need them for big game unless one plans on shooting it out past 400 yards.

You well not find a tougher rifle for the money then a syt stainless ruger.

I have put after marget triggers in all mine.

Posts: 19442 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak on the Winchester but I've owned 3 Rugers and shot many more while loading (for family). As previously stated, it is truly hit or miss in terms of accuracy, but I'll say with certainty, the Ruger is hard to beat for durability and function IME.

I currently own one Ruger that is sporting a Hart bbl, and it is a real shooter. I'd buy another Ruger in a heart beat. (But prefer Remington).

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've got both but only one in .338, I have 3 Ruger M77's and 4 Winchester Model 70's one of the Win is a .338 with a BOSS and shoots under .5" at 100 yards 3 shot groups and its best group was .264". This is out of the box and only a trigger adjustment shooting factory Federal 225 grain ammo. All of the guns I mentioned above shoot excellent groups and all but one shoot under 1" consistently and the one that doesn't shoots 1.25" and 1.5". Pick the one you like handling the best in my experience you can get either one to shoot very well with just hand loads and maybe a little clean up on the barrel channel if that particular gun acts like it needs it, for me the Winchester triggers are really easy for me to adjust Rugers take a little work that I can't do.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Well then don't check this Mark II, Model 77 . 338 Win Mag That I have for sale in the Classified Section. hijack

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
My wife bought the ruger 77 .338 in stainless. The gun shoots under an inch at 100 yards with remington ultra core locks. She likes the shorter length of pull on the all weather, and she can shoot it well. Recoil management is good with the stock pad. Although not as refined as the M70,the ruger is a good functional rifle. The bad shooters are usually such because of the barrel. If you do get unlucky, a barrel replacement isn't too pricy.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LongCarbine
posted Hide Post
Haven't had experience with the .338, but I own Ruger M77s in the .30-06 and .243, and I swear by them. Just about every big game animal I've killed has been with a Ruger, and I've never had a malfunction or felt like my rifle wasn't up to the task at hand. There are definitely guns with better triggers and actions out there, but I just haven't felt the need to replace rifles that have proved themselves time and again. Sounds like you need a bigger gun allowance, then you can get the Ruger and the Winchester and eliminate any guesswork...

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable."

Posts: 125 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler 200 grain BT with 36 grain Blue Dot shoot just great and kill everything we have crawling around here, including big hogs with authority and very little loss of meat.

The full power loads I have now reserved for Africa (if I ever achieve to accumulate the necessary dough).

I have two of those rifles and very much like both them as well as their customer service. Great firm!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did add a different pad to my 338 win mags.I want to see if I can get the new Remington ones to fit.I do like the new stock way better for shooting than the old Ruger on the side ones.I added kanes gun chaper no longer made a sling and a nikon monarch scope a 3x9 and its a good hunting rig.My triggers have all been around 4.5 pounds.I thought about buying another winchester but I thought of all the problems I had with the last one.The only problem I have with Rugers is that they wish they had made the old Ruger 77s in stainless.I have had good luck with all the new rugers I have bought.I did get a used Model 77 in 338 off of gunbroker that was a disaster .The trigger guard was broken ,the screws were all wrong,the floor plate was messed up and it was cromed instead of stainless like the guy told me.I rebuilt the gun with new parts and it shoots 1" or less.Its was not Rugers fault this guy had butchered this gun.Its now a pretty good rough and tumble 338 win mag.I have had 9 Ruger 338 win mags in total .I only sold one to a friend who need a good gun.He loves it and would take nothing for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1974 I bought a Ruger 77 (tang safety) in .338 Win. Mag. I put a Redfield 2x7 'scope on it. After shooting a box or two factory rounds through it, I sent it to MagnaPort.

Experimented with various handloads and found that with either the Nosler Partition 210 grains bullet, or the Hornady 225 grains Interlock bullet, Norma MRP & IMR 4350, it would consistently group 1 3/4" at 200 yards (two hundred).

I can't even estimate how many miles it's been carried in a saddle scabbard on horseback, or on my shoulder, in rough country and very inclement weather.

I've killed several bull elk and two mule deer with it. Works for me. No complaints.

FWIW. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
I will say up front that I do not own a .338WM, but will instead make a comment on Ruger's m77's in general. With the older m77's, accuracy was indeed in my experience, a hit or miss proposition. Never a one that wasn't acceptable for larger game, but some of the varmint rifles were really wanting in the accuracy department. In recent years however, especially with the introduction of the MkII, they seem to have successfully addressed their accuracy issues and I have been very favorably impressed with the dozen or so that I have had a chance to shoot in various chamberings from .223 through -06. They are rugged and dependable in extreme conditions, and in my opinion, one of the better production hunting rifles made today.
I wouldn't own a W70 post '64, and I can buy two decent rifles for the premium prices pre 64's are going for today. I did hear some positive things about the new CRF's, but I have not shot one and so cannot make a fair comment. With the factory closing, I wouldn't think a man could be sure of getting needed parts for much longer, and considering their deteriorating quality control in recent years, access to parts would be critical a few years down the line. That would be enough to decide me.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad CZ doesn't make the 550 in 338 Win Mag. Then it would be a slam dunk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
I was looking at getting either this or a winchester in stainless for their CRF action with fixed ejectors.
How does ruger's newer zytel synthetic stock perform? I figure i will need a timney trigger and possibly a bedding job... let me know

As an FYI, modern CRF winchesters don't have fixed ejectors either. I haven't palyed with the pre-64's.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
As an FYI, modern CRF winchesters don't have fixed ejectors either. I haven't palyed with the pre-64's.

John

Neither pre-64s nor CZ 550s have fixed ejectors. They are spring loaded and are pushed down by the bolt as it goes fwd into battery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LRH270,

quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
I had one 15 years ago and did everything I could think of up to and including glassing the action and barrel solidly to the stock and couldn't make it shoot for beans.

Had a Model 77 in .243 that was just the same.

Get a Winchester.

Ruger had serious quality control issues with the barrels it was purchasing; however, I have heard they fixed that problem.

Take care,

Tom

Posts: 43 | Location: Greater Los Angeles | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger is a great rough use hunting gun, CRF, I doubt there will be any problems getting one to shoot, but there are bad ones in all makes just as in a car. The triggers are really easy to fix, I wouldn't waste the money replacing it, just work it over.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reference the Win Model 70's accuracy, I have only one, a Stainless Featherweight in .308 Win. I have only fired factory stuff through it. It will shoot well under MOA all day long (bedded), its trigger is excellent (had it worked), and for a mass produced gun, it is of great value. While it is no Sako (old AV action), I have no reason to expect it will fail.

I really wish Beretta would revert to Sako's AV action. Now that is a production rifle w/o comparison.

Take care,

Tom

Posts: 43 | Location: Greater Los Angeles | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have stainless laminate .338 ruger and like it very much, it's accurate and well balanced

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk you out of the 338? OK, get a 375 H&H. Ruger, CZ American Safari for the same price, and various Winchesters.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would only buy one if I was going to put a Hogue Overmolded stock on it. The Ruger Black canoe paddles are terrible.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone is talking about the gun,let me talk you out of the caliber I have owned a couple 338's and have found the preformance,as compared to a 375 H&H to be poor. The 375 will do every thing the 338 will do and much more. The 375 is also a fine preformer at 300 yrds,which in this hunters opinion is as far as any of us should be shooting anyway,and a few of us should be shooting a lot closer. So go 375 you won't be sorry,as for the Ruger a new trigger will improve the gun dramatically. wonders..

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 473 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is alot of over lap with the 375 H&H and 338 win mag.The 338 win mag is way more versitle for North American game.If you hunt deer you can have flat shooting 180 gr or 200 gr bullets in the 338 .If you shoot elk an still flat shooting 225 will work just fine.I like the 250 gr for moose and bigger game in the 338.I let a friend use one of my 338s for 5 years.He had always used the 30-06 for moose.He had never shot a moose over 100 yards and it always took a few shots.The first moose he shot with my 338 was around 125 yards.He dropped it in its tracks with the 250 gr remington factory loads.The next moose was around 80 yards headed into deep brush.He dropped it in its tracks.The longest shot he took was a little over 300 yards.He shot the moose it wobbled a little bit took a step and died.I have shot all the deer I have shot in the past 20 something years with my Ruger 338.They were all one shot kills from 3 yards to 425 yards.I think for North American game there is no better one gun than a Ruger 77 338 Stainless .It wont fail you and you can depend your life on that gun for the rest of your hunting through out life.Its one of the toughest guns you will find.The recoil is about like the same as 20 ga heavy dove loads.The ruger does not kick up like other 338s it kicks back.I have one laminated 338 Ruger stainless which is probally around 9 pounds loaded its one of the sweetest shooting 338 I have ever shot.I like it just as good as the plastic stock ones.Either way you wont go wrong.I had good luck with triggers I guess.I have not had a bad Ruger yet .It will take about as much rough and tumble as you can give it.If you watch Gunsamerica ,here or gunbroker they pop up all the time.I even shot a coyote with my 338 last year.

One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
I say get it! I have a a couple of Rugers in my safe including a 338 WM and they are all very accurate well built guns! Mine is a SS boat padel model. Rugers are great guns in my opinion. Good luck!

Good Shoot'n!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
I would only buy one if I was going to put a Hogue Overmolded stock on it. The Ruger Black canoe paddles are terrible.

Luckily, ruger discontinued the old paddle in favor of a traditional synthetic. Much better move. The new mkII is a good rifle. .338 will knock anything in America deader than a doornail. Yes a 375 will do it with more authority, but at the price of more recoil and noise, but then again, I like the .375.

John