THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Where are semi autos illegal for hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where are semi autos illegal for hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Besides Pennsylvania? I know some states have magazine capacity limits for semis (KS is not one of them).

I just want to know which states prevent their use for big game hunting.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This isn't a trick question. Please just state which states you know do or don't allow them. I don't intend this to start some huge "ethics" flame war.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wisconsin and Michigan both allow them.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
Texas,has no limit on cap.of a mag and you can use a Semi-Auto. my youngist use a AR15 to hunt deer with.

Doc in Texas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Keep it coming. I'd like to hear from at least one person from each of the 49 other states (I don't think we'll hear from Hawaii on this).

I could do the research myself, but that means I'd have to wade through 48 other big game hunting regs. Thanks for bearing with me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc in Texas:
Texas,has no limit on cap.of a mag and you can use a Semi-Auto. my youngist use a AR15 to hunt deer with.

Doc in Texas

Cool. Kansas is same, except .243 is the smallest legal deer caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kalifornia has no rule on semi-autos,but has a cap of 5 rounds in the mag for all semi-autos for big game.

We also have no minimum for rifles,other that it has to be centerfire.Handguns must have at least a 4 inch barrel and be of 32 caliber or larger and centerfire.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
West Virginia allows hunting with semiautos.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simi-autos ok in North Carolina, no mag restrictions but caliber restrictions for big game of .243+

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read recently where it was estimated that 35% of the deer hunters in Wisconsin use semi-auto rifles .

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
No problem using semi autos in Arkansas or Louisiana.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Semi- auto's are legal for deer hunting in Illinois but they have to have a three shot capacity and have to be shotguns [Big Grin]
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Maine allows semi's for big game hunting. Interestingly enough, although PA. doesn't allow them, they do allow semi automatic shotguns for small game. Go figure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NY has no caliber restriction (except you can't use a rimfore, of course) no restriction that i'm aware of on the use of a semi-auto but i do belive they want a 4-5 round mag capacity.

[ 11-30-2002, 20:42: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
They are legal in BC. Shotguns must be restricted to three shells for hunting birds. Rifles can have 5 rounds in magazine, +1 in chamber.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe, I've used a Beretta 390 for deer in Illinois but I'm sure Lowell would disapprove, not a ''gentleman's'' choice.

[ 12-01-2002, 03:16: Message edited by: JoeZ ]

Posts: 111 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Desert Rat>
posted
Arizona allows hunting with semi-autos, but does have a 5 round magazine capacity limit.

I believe that Australia does not allow hunting with semi-autos, except possibly for pistols.

Come to think of it, I don't think the magazine capacity limit applies to pistols in Arizona.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Semi's are ok in Washington State.
Used to see more Remington auto's than about anything else even on the east side of the state.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alabama Regulations Digest allows centerfire rifles with mushrooming bullets. I can see no other restrictions.

[Smile]

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Semi-auto OK in MO, magazine capacity max 10+1, any centerfire rifle/handgun single-projectile cartridge using expanding-type bullets.

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/hunt/deer/deertuk/firearmsdeer.htm (See "Methods")

Bill

[ 12-03-2002, 00:03: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado allows semi's. 24 Caliber or bigger. 5 round magazine max.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote