THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Bagged two more Bucks w/ NBTs..........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bagged two more Bucks w/ NBTs..........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Well Thanksgiving turned out to be a great Holiday this year and I was rewarded w/ two more Bucks.

I elected to hunt this past long weekend w/ my 7RM loaded w/ 150 NBTs being pushed at 3115 MV.

Here's the result of a succesful Thanksgiving Morning Hunt:

Then, on the very next day I connected again w/ this guy:

The Big 8 was one thriller of a hunt. I knew the rut was wide open so, anything could happen despite the lack of deer movement. Well after about an hour and 1/2 of waiting w/ not seeing nothing but a rabbit and hearing no shots around, I had just about decided it just wasn't a good morning then, all Heck broke loose in a thicket about 80 yards away. I was in a tripod on a skinny shooting lane out in a 4 year old cutover that had pines about 8' tall and sparse oak sapplings probably 20+ ft tall. At around 7:30 I hit my "Can" and grunter a couple of times and it sounded like a bear tore off through the thicket. It slammed into two of those oak sapplings and whipped them like a fishing pole as well as parted the little pines as it ran through the thick brush. I thought it may have been a large Boar that was spooked or something and then the the ruckous started heading toward the shooting lane and then just stopped. There was total silence and then I heard the inevitable U-R-R-R-G-G and I knew that there was a bruiser Buck of some sort standing in the brush. Well, then the waiting game began that seemed like hours but, only took about 20 min or so. He'd grunt and I'd grunt then, a sound I'd never heard before in my life... A Snort Weeze. You talk about having the fever set in, I was Pumped!! I started mimicking another buck chasing a doe w/ my grunter and my Can but, nothing happened, he'd sort of walk toward me grunt and then go away. Finally a doe shot out on the shooting lane at 125 yards and I heard the rustling in the brush behind her and There He was. I'll admit the hairs were shaking all around his vitals from the intense standoff we'd been having but, I managed to get into him quartering towards me and he dropped at the shot. What a wondefull feeling. The NBT struck him high behind the shoulder went about 2-3" below the spine and exited the rear of the ribs. He flopped a bit and tried to get up but there was blood all over his side and I knew he was hit hard. Despite the bullet hitting nothing but, ribs and mid lungs, it dropped him right on the spot. I've taken an awful lot of deer w/ various carts and I must say I just can't find anything better for this type of game than the 7RM w/ 150 NBTs, It flat levels them every time.

The Smaller 8 was taken at 60 yards walking towards me (I'd been grunting on a scrape line) and I hit him in the thick part of the neck and it exited behind the off side shoulder, That bullet traveled through quite a bit of meat and bone and once again dropped another in his tracks.

I just love it when a Plan comes together.

Good Luck to You all, I'm headed to Iowa Wed. to try and bag a Bruiser w/ my MLer this weekend in their Shotgun season.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
That is awsome. Those bucks are both very nice!

Good luck in Iowa.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is awsome. Those bucks are both very nice!

Good luck in Iowa.

Thanks Doc. It's supposed to be cold up there, at least alot more cold than what us Southerners are used to (Highs in the lows 30s and lows in the low teens)Burrrrr. I just hope we all three bag a Buck and that my MLer fires at those temps. I'm going to drag out all of my old Duck hunting gear and wash it in unscented Sport Wash tonight, I think I'll need lots of cool weather gear on this trip.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader: Thanks for the great story and the nifty photos!
Your Noslers worked like mine do!
Long live the Nosler Ballistic Tips!
Good luck in Iowa!
Does Nosler make anything for muzzleloaders?
Be sure and let us know how the Iowa Hunt goes.
Our Deer/Elk season here in Montana just ended yesterday (Sunday the 27th) and I had another VERY successful season due in large part to the accuracy and lethality of the 130 gr. 27 caliber Nosler Ballistic Tips!
Doc: I am working on Mule Deer pictures for posting - be patient.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Well done Reloader, nice bucks...great story! Yes it is a beautiful thing when a plan comes together...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Reloader, Congratulations again on some fine Deer. Really enjoyed the fine story too.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Hey, how 'bout leaving a couple for the rest of us! gunsmile

Our rut is just starting to kick in, next two weeks will be awesome. Hope to see a couple like that.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
What part of Iowa you heading to? There is a pretty good snow storm in the western and northwestern side this week. Otherwise it is going to be mild (32F) this weekend.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
What part of Iowa you heading to? There is a pretty good snow storm in the western and northwestern side this week. Otherwise it is going to be mild (32F) this weekend.

NEJack,

We're headin' to the South West Corner, I believe it's about 20 miles east of Omaha. Wheather Channel.com said it be in the low teens during the mornings and low to mid 30s during the day. It also said it would be clear and the wind should be tolerable but, you know how those extended forecast change every day. Sounds like it's going to be good deer hunting weather.

Good Luck

Reloader