THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Any law about minimum caliber for elk ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any law about minimum caliber for elk ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Just wandering...in Argentina there is a law that estipulates the minimum caliber for red stags or any other big game hunt.
A 6,5 mm bullet no less than 140 grains.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't think so. There ought to be, I think. With a 6.5 or, better yet, 7mm as the starting calibre. That said, a 7mm Rem Mag with a 160gr partition is the smallest calibre round I've used on Elk. A 30-06 with a 200gr grand slam is a good performer.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming stipulates rifle caliber of .23 or greater for big game hunting...is not specific to elk.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo here in my home state of Montana theres is no caliber restriction. You can use any thing you like on them.

Pesonally while I understand the thought process behind a restriction I do not believe they will do any.

I still believe the most important thing is ability and discipline and of course shot placement. This to me is the key to quick and humane kills on any critter.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Colorado the Regs. state that the centerfire rifle must be .24 cal (6mm) or larger with a min. bullet weight of 85gr. and have an impact energy of at least 1,000 ft./lbs @ 100yds.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No minimum caliber for elk here in Alabama. [Big Grin]

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In Idaho, no rimfires, and the only caliber restriction is on muzzleloaders. I suppose if you wanted to hunt elk with a 410, you could.... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Kansas, legal calibers for deer hunting must be greater than .23" (5.8 mm) and greater than .25" (6.3 mm) for elk. No energy minimums are specified.

For all practical purposes, the legal minimum deer caliber is .243/6 mm, and the legal minimum elk caliber is .260/6.5 mm.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Oregon it states that you must use a minimum of .24 or larger for Elk and .22 or larger for Deer in Centerfire Rifles. Also has Minimums on bows and muzzle loaders.

[ 02-12-2003, 02:11: Message edited by: firedog ]

Posts: 37 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe in Oklahoma their is a minimum of .270 or bigger. Of course Oklahoma only has a minimum Elk season, refuges and some private land adjoining refuges.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
New Mexico requires .24 or larger for Big Game with a rifle.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
WA State it's .24
Fuzz

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Like Trapdoor said the minimum here in Wyoming is .23. Ethicly I think the minimum should be .270 Win.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, these guys are right. I forgot about a "minimum cartridge" for the general hunting of big game.
[Embarrassed]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
German hunting law requires a minimum caliber of 6,5 mms and an energy of 2000 Joule at 100 metres, for all cloven-hoof game.

Exception for roe deer and for seal: a minimum energy of 1000 Joule at 100 metres.

The law is widely accepted, but criticized as being overbroad for chamois and for small (id est still striped) boars (piglets).

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaska, it is no rimfire except for swimming caribou in certain management units. New Mexico it is .24 or larger for elk and oryx, and stipulates a centerfire for all other big game.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
I believe in Texas it is any centerfire of .22 cal or better; that allowing a .22 hornet for deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in B.C. Canada, the only restrictions are: No rimfires for anything but grouse , squirrels, rabbits and similar small game. For big game it must be a centerfire, no caliber indicated. [Smile] However, for our Bison hunts, the caliber must be 7mm or larger, with bullets weighing 175 grains or heavier. Also must retain 2000 joules of energy at 100 meters. Our neighbor to the east, Alberta, specifies that big game must be taken with calibers over .23. So the 6mm's are the minimum. Whoever stated that ethically, the 270 should be minimum for elk obviously forgot about the 264 Winchester Magnum, which is more effective on elk than the 270 is. [Roll Eyes] Regards, Eagleye.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
For those comments about caliber choice questioning a persons ethics.

As much as I hate to admit it, I shot far more elk with a 25-06 than I have with my 30-06. I'm just more comfortable shooting it.

Because I do shoot a smaller caliber, I do use premium bullets, and almost always have one shot kills. Even out to 300 yards.

I've always worried about the 120grn partion doing the job, so this year I broke the stock on my 25 so I replaced it with a 270 WSM, in an effort to add a few grains of lead to my bullet choice.

Bottom line - shot placement is everything.

[ 02-17-2003, 09:12: Message edited by: Painted Horse ]

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Not all NM big game requires a .24 caliber or larger, only elk, oryx and bighorn sheep. Deer, antelope, Barbary sheep, bear, and others have only a "centerfire" designation.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
In Iceland we only have Reindeer. The limit is 6mm and 100grains producing 1300 lbs/ft at 200 meters.

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote