New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handy stuff to carry in your pack?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm starting to pack my bag for an upcoming moose hunt in Canada.

What are some little items you like to carry in your pack? I'm talking more about interesteing things, not, compass, GPS, knife etc..

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
A Gerber Saw like they sell at WallyWorld that comes with a bone saw and a wood saw blade.Comes in really handy.

posted Hide Post
Toilet paper! Handy for starting fires, marking trails and it has other uses that make it vital.....Carry it in a plastic bag so it stays dry.

Posts: 18 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throw a lighter or 2 in with the TP.

X-tra socks- If anything similiar to hunting Alaska your feet will possibly get wet.

Snack food

Rain gear

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
latext gloves
those wet napkins in the little foil packs. Nice to get clean again after a messy field dressing.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Below is the list I included in THE GEAR chapter of my HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER book. Along with my tripod and 15x60 binoculars, I carry all of the below in a Kifaru Longhunter with a hydration system. -TONY

Toilet paper
2-pair Rubber gloves
Lip balm
small quanity of duct tape
Extra knife
Extra ammo
3/4" foam seat cushion
Space blanket
Compass or GPS
Light rain jacket
Knife sharpener
Nylon Cord (20�)
Moist towelettes
Flashlight w/extra batteries
Small 2" wide roll of tar paper (fire starter)
Orange, trail-marking ribbon
Lens cleaning fluid and paper
Matches AND butane lighter
Topo map of my area
Camera w/extra film (or digital)
Large, self-sealing plastic bags
High-energy snack bars
Small folding saw

[ 10-07-2003, 19:16: Message edited by: Outdoor Writer ]

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get one of those AAA maglight keyring torches and carry it place of one round of ammunition on your belt. It can come in very useful if you get lost, delayed etc. Make sure you don't load it by mistake!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
This is great post...

I throw in a mostly used up roll of black electrical tape, to tape my tag on or for a make shift bandage. I rap about 10 turns around my water bottle with duct tape for who knows what you might need it for. Throw in a tube of super glue, perferably the one that comes in a sealed tube, with your first aid kit for glueing cuts together or what ever... Mole skin to prevent/pad blisters. A leatherman tool or multi tool. I can't tell you how many times it has saved a hunt/big hike out... Knife shapener, small diamond steele, about the size of a pen. Two film canisters with cotton balls soaked in vasaline for starting a fire. A lense cleaning cloth for your optics.

One thing that I always have in my pack is a ~8-10' piece of 1.5" nylon webbing. This is the BEST thing I have found for draging animals. We don't generly drag them very far, but it beats the heck out of a rope and won't cut into your hands causing fatigue.

I usually take some ALIEVE and throw in my first aid kit too. They seam to work better than regular Advil or Asprin.

Ivan

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the multi-tool (Mine is a Gerber)

A roll of dental floss with a needle (great for sewing up what ever is needed)

Good first aid kit with some kind of dental emergency kit. Nothing worse in this world than loosing a filling and being 50 miles from the nearest dentist.

Knife sharpening stone.

Small (about 2 oz) of old smokeless gunpowder. Makes great fire starter and is safe in the open.

Some kind of high energy snack.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heinie wipes.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Food! What could be better than snacks and some nice food?

If I don't have far to go I carry a thermos of hot soup. This is what I look forward to the most. Then there is candy. Lot's of candy! Nobody's watching or checking on you and you need the calories right? This is the time to enjoy.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Peanuts in the shell.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express

I carry a little tiny stove to cook lunch or to make a hot cup of coffee.

Watch your guides eyes when you reach into your daypack and cook him a hot lunch on a cold miserable day!

My buddies and I often try to plan to meet up for lunch in the bush. A great time to share game sightings etc. You almost feel like your cheating mother nature eating a hot lunch in the cold bush.

Once you try it you'll never settle for crapy sandwiches again! [Big Grin]

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ditto the stove... I have a little Titanium one from Optimus that stows with its canister in a small cook pot... nothing beats hot chow when its really cold or miserable out.

Also ditto the butt pad, folding saw, gloves, etc. Plenty of extra dry, warm cloathing and if the weather's really bad I may even bring a goretex bivy bag.

I always carry an "Ultra Pod"... a small, folding tripod that can be attatched to tree limbs etc., in about 120 different ways... as I generally hunt solo its the best light ans small option to gather field photo's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to take a pack of beef jerky in the field with me.
Good all around snack food. Someone mentioned peanuts...me too!!
...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cough drops or Jolly Rancher candy.

Bread bags in case you go tromping through water and those little powdered chemical handwarmers that you shake to start heating up. Great for the feet and hands.

Nothing worse than cold, wet feet.

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butt pad clipped to the belt to keep dry.

LED headlamp, not the brightest but burns 50-100 hours and only weighs 2 ounces. Its enough to field dress in the dark, get dressed in the tent and hit the pisser in the dark.

Chemical warmers, dropped in your jacket or sleeping bag they can really extend the comfort level without carrying heavier gear.

Unsented diaper wipes so I still feel April fresh (at least kind of) towards the end of the week.

Traumadex or Quickclot with a blood sucker bandage. Traum/QC are blood clotters and could be a life saver if you suffer a major injury. I carry mine in my pants pocket. A bag of instant potatoes works utilizing the same principle but there is the potential of an allergic reaction.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
A foot or so of decoy cord or a zip tie for tagging your animal. (finally remembered to take something this year for attaching the tag to the carcass. I usually am scrounging for something in my pack or pocket or truck.) and a pen.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A lens pen or scope cleaning tissue. Snacks of corse, nylon chord. I usually use string to put tags on but I like the elect tape idea. BW.

One thing I like to use is one of two knives, one has an extra saw blade and the other has teeth on the back side of the blade, they go through briskets like crap through a goose.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you use a vacuum packer? I have found a pair of dry socks can be sucked down and sealed to about the size of a bar of soap. A light shirt about the size of a VHS tape. Not to mention Matches and fire starters can be sealed up. Remember things sealed in vacuum are also scentless. Lots of foods will last for a week or better in these bags also.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good one Ted, I have a vacume machine in my kitchen, and would never have thought of using it for anting but food.

A pair of dry socks will be in my pack now...

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How bout some wheels to carry all this shit.

Just kidding.

Alot depends on where you are hunting. I always have fire starter, 15' of parachute cord and some plastic garbage bags in my pack. It is always in there, even when it is put away.
One of those mini torches are dandy little things to have if you got the room. A tube of citrus mechanic's hand cleaner is great for washing your hands. Works great on dried blood. Some duct tape which works nice on hot spots on your feet before they become blisters. Works on blisters too.
Last but not least, a small note pad and pen so you can write down the stuff you should of brought.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Hexamine fuel tablets and a WWII stove. Just enough to heat up a small can of soup or "C" rats.

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry a small piece of 5/16ths Ensolite Pad, say 12-18 inches square, to sit on. Keeps my butt warm on the cold ground.
I like the Sagen Saw from Cabela's as a meat saw. I carry a Buck Switch Blade with four blades. Very light.
I carry two of the lightest Space Blankets. They give me something to put meat on. For emergency over night stays, they work with two 7 hr., tear open, chemical handwarmers. I wrap the space blankets with eletrical and/or Duct Tape.
Extra, concentrated complex carbohydrate food like Power Bars, or Health Valley, Fat Free Granola Bars. No sugar and fat food, or just nuts which are more fat than complex carbohydrates.
Particularly in warm weather, some type of electrolyte tabs for treating heat exhaustion.
Swiss Utility Key is my multi tool. Has an eye glass screwdriver built in. A Photon Light with hat clip and stay on switch for changing the AAA batteries in my Petzal Headlamp.
A 3 oz. Patagonia Dragonfly Pullover for changes in the weather. Rolls up into a packet the size of an orange. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goretex Socks!. It doesen't matter how many dry pairs of socks you have if your boots are soaked. With the Gore-Tex socks you will always have dry feet (the most important thing for comfort IMO).
Ditto on the vacuum sealer. I have one of the kitchen versions and I seal almost all my stuff with it before a hunt (lighter/matches, batteries, socks, food etc.). Not only does it waterproof them, but the vacuum suck stuff down to fit better in your pack.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote