New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Gameking HPBT?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did anyone try or use Sierra Gameking HPBT (not Matchking!) bullets at hunt? I will try them (165 g.) at the range soon, with my RUGER 77/II .300 Win. Mag. cal. Thanks.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 30/06 and the 300 I've used em on chucks/elk/deer/lopes, no problems

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I just shot a 165 gr .308" Sierra Spitzer BT into water filled cartons at 20 ft at 2950 fps. Perhaps there is some comparison.

The core penetrated into 7 cartons and weighed 45 grs and the jacket stopped in the 6th and weighed 55 grains.

As a general comment all .30 cal Remington Corelokts stay together. This includes the 150, 165 and 180 gr out of various cartridges. However if any thin skinned quarry got hit with that Sierra in a vital area it would be deader than a doornail.

<shall>
posted
I have shot about 30 whitetail with the Sierra 165gr spbt out of a 30-06 with great results. Full penetration every time. Never a bullet recovery.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wery soft but accurate bullet.
I have used 160grHPBT GK in my 7mm-08Rem (<2600f/s). I have shot into one Moose wich made it disintegrate into nothing more then small fragments. I also used it on smallgame with the same results. As long as you do not hit any heavy bone it will work/
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lazzeroni reccomends them for long range hunting. He maintains that a well placed bullet that fragments a little bit is better than perfect performance from a hunting bullet that hit in the wrong place. I can see his reasoning. www.lazzeroni.com

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
They Rock!!! They work as well as the Ballistic Tips as far as accuracy and shooting deer in the ribs! (and way cheaper)

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Express! I believe that the praise of cal. 30 Sierra HPBT bullet, seen on Lazzeroni website, is almost a security. Ciao.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got back from a feral pig hunting trip in Alabama 4 weeks ago and used the 30 cal. 165 gr. HPBT Game King shot from my 308 Win. It worked just fine. It shot 1/2 MOA from my gun and a friend who had a 308 Win. with a stiff load of N550. We killed 3 feral pigs with the 165 GK bullet from our 308 Win. and all were one shot kills with complete pentration. Bone was broken with 2 of three shots. The largest weighed 225 field dressed. It don't have a great B.C. but it does seem to shoot and perform very well. Sierra has told me it a tougher bullet than the 165 GK SPBT. I believe it. Just my observation....

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for your replies. I have just tried the HPBT at the range, and they give very good accuracy. I will use them next hunting season.