Find
Notify
Tools

Knee surgery
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I am about to undergo an arthroscopic procedure on my left knee. If any of you have had a similar procedure I'd like your thoughts on how soon you were able to return to a good activity level. wave Two conventions coming up in January which will require a good deal of walking.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I am the antithesis of the knee arthroscopy poster child !!! When I had mine done, after I was released, I went out with one of my friends that night. They had put a hard cast on it. I had a near impossible time sleeping with it that night, so the next day, I cut it off with my sawzall. Tht was back in 1985. I know now that I shouldn't have done that, but apparently everything came out ok. I think a lot depends on your age and activity level. PT also won't hurt, getting you moving again. IT also depends on what's wrong inside and how successful your surgeon is.Follow your surgeons advice (not like me), and you should be fine. My 78 year old mother in law just had this surgery recently and she was walking pretty good after about 3-4 weeks. Younger folks heal more quickly.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
billinthewild,

I had that surgery done to my right knee about three years ago and I am 68 yo now. My knee was never that bad but it did click when I walked and the doctor could prove that it was swollen some. I must have waited six months for it to get better but it would not.

Mine just required some trimming of the meniscus. I walked to the car in the lot but got a ride home. I was up that day around the house and walking fine. I need no special pills etc. I hope yours goes as well.

A friend of mine who is just a little older and heavier had the same operation not that any operation is the same. He did not do so well and his knee still bothers him years later.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I had it done a few years ago. I'd think that you'd be fine for the shows. Just be sure to DO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY. ALL OF IT!

I was at 80% in a couple of months. Took the rest of a year to get back to 100%

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife had it done two months ago. She was very active prior, volleyball, softball, and such. It slowed her down for about a month. Do your therapy, use ice, and take anti-inflamatories. She is 50.

P.S. make sure you go to the best surgeon you can find. Other wise you had just as well let me do it on my kitchen table! Might cost you a six pack!

Good Luck and a Speedy Recovery!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
I am about to undergo an arthroscopic procedure on my left knee. If any of you have had a similar procedure I'd like your thoughts on how soon you were able to return to a good activity level. wave Two conventions coming up in January which will require a good deal of walking.

Bad timing for your surgery if you plan on a lot of walking that soon. Not that it will be a big problem, but your knee will likely swell.

Healing time depends on a lot of factors. You did not state what the surgery is for. What is the condition that needs surgical intervention?

I agree with the above comment. Go to the very best surgeon in your region. I can tell you, that can make or break your post surgical outcome.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

How do I find the best surgeon in a field?

This is a general question but an important one. My surgery went well and its over but for sure something will come up again.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
You did not state what the surgery is for. What is the condition that needs surgical intervention?

Arthritic build up to be smoothed down, and both meniscus torn. My surgeon is well recommended....

Thanks to all of you for your replies.....

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Bill, what type of surgical repair or you talking about?

Is it a ligament or tendon replacement/repair or is it a cartilage repair/removal? There is a big difference between the types of surgeries that they can do now with arthroscopic surgeries.

I've had my left ACL replaced with parts of my Patella Tendon, I've had a surgical repair of my PCL. A surgical repair of the left lateral colateral tendon, a second replacement of my left ACL with a cadaver achilles tendon and meniscus cartilage removals all done with the old style surgical procedures and recovery times varied from 6 months to two years.

I've also had three arthroscopic procedures for relatively minor repiars where that afternoon I was walking up the stairs unaided and complete recoveries were made in 6-8 weeks.

BTW, all of these procedures were done on my left knee, it's a mess.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Don't know the answer, but will find out next week.....

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
Doc,

How do I find the best surgeon in a field?

This is a general question but an important one. My surgery went well and its over but for sure something will come up again.

Usually, there are ways to find out "who is really best."

You can always start by quizing your surgeon:

Do you have written materials or videotapes about this surgery that I can review?
How much improvement can I expect from this surgery?
What is your experience doing this type of surgery, and how many have you done?
Are you Board Certified?
Approximately how many of these surgeries are done each year at this hospital? Is there outcomes data available?
What are the risks involved? How likely are they?
What type of anesthesia will be used? What are the risks?
What type of implant will be used? What is the track record for this type of prosthesis?
Will I have to stop taking any of my medications before surgery?
What options are available to avoid a blood transfusion?
How long will I have to stay in the hospital?
How much pain is normal to expect and how long will it last? Will I receive medication for the pain?
When will I start physical therapy? Will I need home or outpatient therapy?
Will I need to arrange for some assistance at home? If so, for how long?
What limits will there be on activities - such as driving, bathing, climbing stairs, eating, sex?
How long will I need to be out of work?
How often will I need to return for follow-up visits?
What complications can arise after surgery? What are the signs of complications?

Also, look up your doctor online:

Check the AMA and American Acadamy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Check out weblinks:

orthopaedic search

Just as an example, I need a right ACL repair. The ONLY 2 doctors I would let do this are:

Dr. Frank Noyes.

and

Dr. William Clancy.

Dr. Noyes is about 15 minutes from my office and has better than a 95% success rate on his knee surgeries, but Dr. Clancy is THE BEST.

One of the best ways to find out who the best "knee doc" is in your area is to ask the hospitals. I'd much rather go to a surgeon that does ONLY knees or mostly knees than a general orthopaedic doc that does only a few per year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know the answer, but will find out next week.....

Stay awake and watch - that way you will see if the guy knows what he is doing. I did it quite a few years ago, and it was fascinating. Not only did he explain what he was looking for, but what he was doing and why he was doing it. Walked out of hospital, drove home, had dinner, and went out to drink and dance. When the Marcaine (sp) wore off about 10:30 it was SOMEWHAT uncomfortable! I wouldn't recommend that level of activity!!!!

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Arthritic build up to be smoothed down, and both meniscus torn.

Arthritic arthroscopic debridement does not require a "top" surgeon. I would assume your torn menisci are either traumatic, or degenerative flap tears. Our current knowledge on knees is to KEEP all natural anatomy as long as possible. The surgeon will hopefully only remove your torn cartilage and leave the rest of your meniscus intact bilaterally.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If they're "flap" tears or what they used to call "bucket handle" tears and they only trim down the flaps themselves then I'll guess that by the third day post op you'll feel better than you do right now.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

I am glad to be able to say I don't know on this one......yet!! I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the left knee done twice, for different things. I felt better immediately both times. The folks who said to do all of your therapy are absolutely right. There are also exercises that you can begin now that will make it easier afterwards. If nothing else, lay flat on your back, put a 5 pound coffee can under your knee and start just by lifting your foot until you lock the knee. Do it until you get the burn. On the last one, I made them give me a different therapist because the one I had was not aggressive enough. If the doc says ok, then do as much as uoi can. I walked on the stairs with mine, both times right after coming home from the hospital.

Get pictures from the inside of your knee during and after the surgery. They can be very informative, and cool, if you are into that sort of thing.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote