Notify
Tools

Euro or Shoulder......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Ok guys, help me out.

I've got my mulie caped and in the freezer right now and I can't decide what I want to do with him. It will only cost me $325 to have him full shoulder mounted which isn't a factor, I'm not worried about the cost. I can Euro (Skull) mount him for nothing, but I just can't decide which would look better.

I only have one Mulie shoulder mounted, the 181-1/2 I took last season, but I may not hunt mulies again for many years.

Here's the mulie I have shoulder mounted now:

I'd hate to wish I'd have shoulder mounted him in the future. I think either mount would be nice, just can't decide which way to go. He's not that big (162-1/4), but a nice buck:

I was thinking maybe a full sneak like this whitetail my tax did 2 years back:

What do you think?

Thanks,

Reloader

Question:
What would you do?

Choices:
Euro style bleached skull mount
Full shoulder Mount

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
euro, hands down.

but, having said that, don't let us make your decision for you! in the end, it should be something that YOU will be happy with.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I like the way they both look, but I haven't seen a mulie euro mounted, only whitetail and elk.

You know, I haven't really thought about it, but I may could just have the tax remove the cape and give me the head. I could euro mount it and if it's not really what I was looking for, I could have him shoulder mount it. That may be the best route.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may could just have the tax remove the cape and give me the head. I could euro mount it and if it's not really what I was looking for, I could have him shoulder mount it.

that sounds like a good plan. i have a feeling you will like the european mount - mulies look very good with them, in my opinion.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader-

Even if cost was a consideration, I personally would have that deer shoulder mounted.

Those are my thoughts anyway. Both of your Mulies are great, congrats!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easy..Shoulder mount nilly

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here is a mount I did my self. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics Ron, that turned out really nice.

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would Euro. I would trade the cape to your taxidemist for credit against a nice walnut plaqued Euro.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Without doubt...shoulder mount. Muleys are to darn pretty for a euro mount..IMO.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
I like the way they both look, but I haven't seen a mulie euro mounted, only whitetail and elk.

You know, I haven't really thought about it, but I may could just have the tax remove the cape and give me the head. I could euro mount it and if it's not really what I was looking for, I could have him shoulder mount it. That may be the best route.

Reloader

i think you've come up with the best solution. the guy who does my deer mounts always lets me take the skull home so i can have it to look at and then he calls me when he's ready to mount it.

BTW.....shoulder mount got my vote. preferably a wall pedestal. like the one in the middle(not a great picture)

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything 160 or better would be a shoulder mount..........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. "It will only cost me $325 to have him full shoulder mounted which isn't a factor, I'm not worried about the cost."
2. "I may not hunt mulies again for many years..."

I would shoulder mount it, especially the wall pedestal to vary from your last season mulie mount.

Also, the 162-1/4 buck has a nearly white face (nose to eyes) while the 181-1/2 buck appears not to have and that would be a nice contrast if the 162-1/4 is shoulder mounted and put beside the other.

Besides, two very nice shoulder mounts of mulies will be an eye catcher in a Louisiana home.

Posts: 64 | Location: Lowcountry, SC | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Shoulder mount, just get a different pose.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoulder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am looking at the right photo, it looks like a "average" cape. If that is true I would personally do a skull mount. I do favor skull mounts, so between the cape and the size, I would not shoulder mount that deer unless it had some extraordinary story or memory attached to it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife hates my euro mount. She can not stand to look at it. She says it just dosen't look right without skin. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote