Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt for the daughter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
First off, sorry for the long post, but I have to explain a few things.

Daughter (15)is a fine shot, regularly puts 5rds. in 4" at 300 meters, this is with MY .308 The little SNOT should not outshoot dad, it's just wrong!

She works for a vet, and intends on becoming one, however has no problem with hunting.

She has a mild heart condition, so the higher altitude hunts might present a problem.
She would like to take either a bear, or an elk (cow would suit her fine) Has mentioned piggies too.

Late spring/summer/early fall to avoid missing school, she is a little fanatical about her education

As I don't have a money tree, cost is always an issue.

We live in So. central KS, right on the OK border, so I would prefer not to drive to BFE, if you know what I mean.

High fence would be OK, as long as the animal isn't tied up to post (canned hunt) and there is an element of fair chase.

I appreciate any comments, or suggestions.

Thanks guys (and gals)
Joe

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
There is a nice place in Chadron, NE that has elk, rams, fallow deer, sika deer, and bison. It's www.elkplanet.com

He get's $800 for a cow elk, but I am betting if you call and explain the situation he would probably let you gal whack one for $500-650. No daily rates, meals are included, and it sounds like a nice place.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, I will for sure be in contact with these folks.

Thank you,Joe

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A do it yourself antelope hunt would be pretty cheap and they are a blast. Wyoming is probably the easiest place to get drawn, but Colorado is an option also. You could probably find one that is early enough to not have to miss school. They Wyoming draw deadline is march 15. Any do it yourself elk hunt will be physically straining.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I have a very reasonably priced outfit in New Brunswick for black bear that would be great fun for both of you. It's a very friendly place, the hunting area is beautiful, thick forest with nice stands. Fly fishing in the morning.

I've also got June bears in Manitoba which also combines fishing (walleyes and northerns).

Nice lodging at both places. These are outfitted and guided hunts.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Antelope in Colorado is usually the first week in October. Saying that, its still a lot of fun. Hog hunting in Texas is available in some areas at a reasonable price, as it is in some other states. My hat's off to you and your daughter. My daughter never wanted to hunt, but she became a Deputy Sheriff...and head of the drug squad, raids and all!
Got a granddaughter who wants to go hunting with her grandfather. Can't wait for the '06 season.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I've taken my son, who is now 19, on quite a few hunting adventures. The first was when he was 12 on a trip to Alaska for a caribou/black bear hunt. We had a great time and chose this hunt for several reasons. First, you can hunt them beginning on August 1st, which allowed us to do this hunt without interfering with school. Second, it had a very high likelihood of success, and I wanted him to get one of whatever we were after. Third, with him being only 12, it was not overly strenuous. I don't think we were ever over 4,000' in elevation. And lastly, I don't think you'll find this hunt too expensive.
We had a great trip, we each got a caribou and bear, and it was a time together we will always treasure.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of folks look down on them, but I'd heartily recommend a hog hunt in Texas. You can go any time of the year, thus avoiding scheduling conflicts. Depending on the outfit, hunting difficulty can vary from not even hunting to bustin' your buns in the thick and nasty.

Another option is the exotics down there. That's catching a bunch of heat (especially here), but on a properly run property (low-fence, free range), exotic hunts are certainly fair chase and definitely fun. Costs aren't terrible, and most of the meat (think axis deer) is incredible.

A combination hog/exotic doe hunt would be a fine way to break up the summer doldrums before returning to school.

Edit - Oh yeah, if that doesn't float your boat, you can pick up landowner cow elk tags in NM for $400 and up plus the cost of the license. I've seen fully guided cow hunts offered for less than a grand. I'm not sure how the seasons would fit in with your schedule though, as many of them are in late September through December. Antelope is an option too. In the northern NM units, antelope seasons are generally during the last weekend of August.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have Red Deer, and I need some Hinds shot this fall (or late summer) She can shoot pigs too if she wants.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A strong second for the Wyoming Antelope hunt. It is fair chase, but you will see lots of Antelope on terrain that is not rugged. Her marksmanship will be put to good use as well. I have taken my daughter the last two years, but I have done the shooting since she is only 8. My daughter has the same interests as yours and I love her unpolluted mind that loves animals (she also wants to be a vet), but fully understands the benefits of hunting, and loves hunting with me. Reduced priced doe tags are made available over the counter in August (last year were about $30 for nonres), and they are often available up until the day you hunt! If you do a little homework over the phone you can find a ranch that will let you hunt for no fee (especially when they find out it is for you and your daughter). Send me a PM if you are interested and I can point you in a good direction.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
Of course a fifteen year old should be able to outshoot her dad. She has better eyes and quicker reflexes. You pass on good genes and you should expect good results. I could outshoot my parents as a young teen, and now that I have teens of my own I realize why. Be smug, not embarrassed - She's doing you proud! I can only shoot like that with a varmint rifle and a high powered scope. You got yourself a keeper! Good luck wherever you chose to go, it's a win-win situation any way you look at it.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Texas had a lot of ranches that put on game management hunts that are reasonabley priced and are typically blind hunts. It is usually a good start for hunting.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you call Chain Ranch in NW OK? They have hog hunts out of tower blinds stationed near corn feeders. Lots of wild pigs in western OK. Probably your best bet.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKenzie Outfitters
posted Hide Post
I have 1/2 price discount on accompanied youth for there first trip. We gotta do our part for the future of hunting.U interested in a fly in bear hunt in Manitoba with a guaranteed opportunity? I run 2 different camps in a remote area that encompasses over 50 lakes in remote Wilderness Park allocated to my business. The smallest bear harvested last spring made a record book & the fishing is superb for Northern Pike, Walleye, Lake trout.

I also offer archery whitetail deer hunts & have yearly success on P&Y bucks.
I also offer upland bird, waterfowl hunts on sloughs, stubble fields & hard wood thickets.
All of the deer & bird hunts are on my large privately owned cattle operation & u stay in my cabin along the river.
If U need more info check out my web page at www.mckenzieoutfitters.ca & feel free to drop me a line if U have any questions.

Thanks
Monty

Monty McKenzie
McKenzie Outfitters
204-824-2440
info@mckenzieoutfitters.ca
www.mckenzieoutfitters.ca

Posts: 66 | Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana has those $50 each antlerless pronghorn tags over the counter.Its an awesome hunt I went last year .I am about to die to go back.They have a farm and school land program to hunt that land for $10.I met some farmers and they let me hunt their land for free.They also have cow elk tags for $280 .I would try a nonfenced hunt instead of a fenced hunt so she gets the feel of hunting.I saw thousands of pronghorn ,elk,muledeer and whitetails .It was one of my funest hunts ever and I went by myself.I wish my dad could have taken me to some hunt like the one I went on.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote