THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Fast-forward 15yrs- will 300WSM displace 300 WM?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast-forward 15yrs- will 300WSM displace 300 WM?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
I gotta agree with Mike375, from the data I have read (Cartridges of the World, Gun Digest 2005, Direct sources- reloading websites like this one etc...etc...)that chart seems WAY OFF.

Anyone care to share YOUR real world ballistics here? Just mention cartridge, load, FPS and barrel length.

This was done as a comparison of the cartridges all with a 24 inch barrel.This is what he wrote:
quote:
Comparisons of this sort are best made by computer programs such as Quickload and Quick Target,which I used to generate the performance chart accompanying this article.I used the same criteria for all cartridges:60,000 PSI chamber pressure.Nosler 180 grain Partition bullet and 24 inch barrel.One variable that could not be avoided was propellant selection.Using the same propellant for such a wide range of case capacities is not practical.I tried to pick an optimum powder for each cartridge based on my own experience as well as a perusal of loading manuals.

His comparisons not mine-Don't kill the messenger.I thought it was interesting with all having equal barrel lengths and loaded to the same PSI with the same bullet.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
No flies on you jaycocreek- not wanting to kill the messenger.

I am glad that you brought this into the discussion. BUT, as you read in my post, I was a little critical of the info comparison done by Jamison.

It is a bit odd to have a 300 Wea, RUM, Warbird etc. and hunt with a 24" barrel. In fact, I have only seen one person with a 24" 300 Weatherby and he was an oddball indeed. No production rifle 300RUM or Warbird or 30-378Wea or 300Wea exists with 24" barrels.

Further, propellant selection and other variables may have come into play in his analyis.

I agree that it is interesting data: Key takeaway is don't hunt with a super-magnum if you don't have at least a 26" barrel and have shot a few different handloads for accuracy-velocity comparisons.

What would have been even more interesting would be to see the same data using 26" barrels for all and max. rated SAAMI pressures for each cartridge. Then we are getting somewhere.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Lefty-Odd it is as you said but I often wonder where does it stop for the .30 Caliber mags?What is gained in 26 inch "Super Mags" with the extra recoil over the old standard 300 Winchester.It can already kill Elk way farther than I am willing to shoot for the most part.What noticable difference is an Elk going to feel at 400 yards from a 100-200 fps faster Super Mag if it's put where it belongs?

Getting old I guess as I don't see the need for them at practical ranges.Nice to have though as I have always wanted a 340 Weatherby just to have one but I don't need it here in the middle of Idaho.

Take care..Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
There are three types of people who use the Super Mags: sofa

1. The "Efficient Minimizers"- those who want all the performance in a fairly small package- 26" and less than 9.5 pounds. They usually practice a lot from bench and field positions with Handloaded ammo and have high-end factory or semi-custom rifles. They are experienced hunters and want to maximize performance in a relatively small package.

2. The "Professional Long-Range Hunter"- those who have semi-custom to custom rifles with min. barrel lengths of 26" but often between 28-30". They practice religiously with handloaded ammo both on bench and field positions and out to ranges where you can't tell if the deer has a B&C head or just large ears-heck you can't even see the animal with your naked eye Smiler They also tend to be very experienced hunters and shooters.

3. The "Wannabe Super Elite"- those who get caught up in the marketing hype and are fairly new to the hunting game. They use factory ammo and get some range practice in a few times a season, mainly from the bench. They purchase off the shelf factory rifles in super mag. cals because they feel it will extend their shooting range and skill and kill trophy animals better. They like attempting to impess folks by dropping "Yeah, I carry a_________ Super Magnum- you know, THE only heavy hitting big .300 MAGNUM that guys with large p_ _ _ _es should be carrying to shoot em far across them there valleys. It blows-up milk jugs like crazy man!"

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, this throws my original topic off-course. I will post this in another thread- for Super Magnum people Smiler