New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "just a doe?"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My mulie doe story was on a whitefish fishin' trip on the Marias River below Tiber on block mgmt. Anyways, I filled a cooler in 5 hrs. with a limit of 35 @ 2 weeks ago. I was drifting a #1 silver and yellow Panther Martin thru the riffles on 4 lb. test. The whitefish in the Marias are huge (15-19")and run 1 to 3 lbs. They smoke up nice in alderwood. On my trip back to the truck I spook me up 3 does and a forkhorn mulie. They didn't go far and were within site of my rig. I dropped off my gear and grabbed my Colt 45 Super Redhawk (truck gun) and put the "sneak" on em. Tiptoeing thru the cottonwoods and braking branches wearing waders isn't ideal to say the least. I got to within 45yds. with the biggest doe facing right at me. With open sights I sent a 300g Hornady XTP powered by 13.5 grains of Bluedot on it's way. Aiming mid-neck I hit her right in the upper sternum facing me. Big doe did a sumersault and hit the ground dead and the other three split. Bullet penetrated @ 14" taking out the top of the heart and some lung. The work started when I dragged the deer @ 300 yds. back to the truck by myself. When I got home I had a deer to skin and 35 fish to clean and brine. I got to bed after midnight. My other mulie doe I shot on opening day with my custom 222 Remington model 722 on the same river from about 25 yards. Shot in the head with a 53g TSX powered by 23g of H335... instant death with 3" exithole behind the ear. My 4x5 whitetail and cow elk were shot down by Deerlodge with my 35 Whelen and 250g Hornady RN's. I'm done huntin' for the year and waitin' to go ice fishing.

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as promised, here are the pictures!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Tasunka,

Change your tags from [img] to [image], spell the word out on this version of Infopop UBB.

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks! i think i got it~~let me know if you can't see them~

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote