THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Delorme GPS'? need a GPS with map functions

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delorme GPS'? need a GPS with map functions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a GPS that I can use for hunting as well as driving. I was looking at the Delorme PN-40.

Does anyoen have experience with these units? ANy suggestions on a GPS that can be used in both the field and street?

I need something that will let me download various maps of both roads and wilderness.

Sorry if this is not the right forum. Looked in several and could not find one that seemed more appropriate.

Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I have the older PN-20. It works well. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with a Delorme GPS. But I do have two Garmin GRS'. The Model 76CS I have will do exactly what you want to do, download maps for hunting. The screen displays all of the roads and forests. I'm amazed at the detail that it shows. It has all the bells and whistles you could ever want. A buddy of mine up here has a Garmin on his airplane for navigation and he pointed me to the Garmin 76, which I did buy. He described the awesome detail of his on the plane for navigating, and that flat impressed me. But, the 76CS is not a small pocket size GPS. It's about 6"x3"x 1.5", with probably the largest screen of any of the hand held GPS'. I like that as I can get better coverage of the terrain I'm negotiating.
The one feature I really like about it is the compass. The compass works electronically in every way possible; walking, inside the Jeep, or stationary. I sit the 76CS on the passenger seat of the Jeep to use as you might want to do. The satellite signal is available for the 76 to keep locked on while inside the Jeep on the seat, so no problem from that point of view.

I have a smaller Garmin Etrix I use just to find my way back to the Jeep, when I don't want to carry the larger 76CS.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!

One thing I have worried about is my relative lack of computer skills and general hatered for learning new ones unelss absolutely necessary. On one GPS web site I read a review that said the Delorme required good computer skills, but I could not tell if he was trying to use every little feature or just generally use it.

For anyone out there-which GPS' are the closest thing to "plug and play" for soemone who hates electronic gadgets?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I need a GPS that I can use for hunting as well as driving. I was looking at the Delorme PN-40.

Does anyoen have experience with these units? ANy suggestions on a GPS that can be used in both the field and street?

I need something that will let me download various maps of both roads and wilderness.

Sorry if this is not the right forum. Looked in several and could not find one that seemed more appropriate.

Thanks!

I've not used a mapping Garmin, but they have some nice features and we're going to try to get a few for our Search and Rescue teams.

You can buy SD cards with 7.5 min topo maps (the 1:24,000 USGS maps) which is very appealing, and you can also get brackets for mounting your unit on the dashboard of your vehicle. Plus, of course, you can get a plethora of street maps.

I like the fact that you can get an external antenna which you just slap on the roof of your truck and plug into the unit. The folks I've talked to say that with that antenna, the 60CSx units they use maintain satellite lock under heavy canopy, even when it's wet.

I like the "real" compass feature, too.

posted Hide Post
The Garmin 76 and 60 series of GPS are old technology now and you would be buying an item that is likely to become outdated very shortly..

Take a look at the newer Garmins such as the Colorado...They use different technology to display the maps and this new technology will be more "future proof" for updates ect. The GPS functions are apparently better than eve, while ease of use is about the same...

I say this as someone who bought a Garmin 60CSx a couple of years back and although I am very happy with it, I realise these newer units represent the future and offer improvements over the 60CSx, as excellent as that is...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a GARMIN-VISTA and if I can learn to use it, anyone can. It took me about a week, with reading and actual practice. I'm 78 so judge for yourself.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
The Garmin 76 and 60 series of GPS are old technology now and you would be buying an item that is likely to become outdated very shortly..

Take a look at the newer Garmins such as the Colorado...They use different technology to display the maps and this new technology will be more "future proof" for updates ect. The GPS functions are apparently better than eve, while ease of use is about the same...

I say this as someone who bought a Garmin 60CSx a couple of years back and although I am very happy with it, I realise these newer units represent the future and offer improvements over the 60CSx, as excellent as that is...

Pete,

Good posting. I will take a look at the new Garmin's with current technology.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

I have a DeLorme GPS that plugs into the USB port of a laptop, was amazed at the plethora of dirt roads in the database. I have not tried any of the stand-alone models.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14590 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote