New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mule deer doe in the freezer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got out to hunt the other day, 3 mulie does run right in front of me and stop approx. 100yards away. As usual i get all hyper and standing the crosshairs are all over the place so i kneel down, better but still too wobbly. Next i see they are still just standing there checking me out so i slam down into prone- bingo! nice steady shot. Two of the does are facing right toward me, one is broadside looking at me so i decide she is the one, i pull the trigger and after the recoil look into the scope. Two still looking at me and one has 4 legs in the air. I hit Mid spine, funny i shoot regularly but when i see game i spaz and am not in control like i should be. I got her home and skinned out, probably one foot area bloodshot, a hole 1/2 again the length of my fist exit hole. I really did think the woodleigh rn 350gr bullets would open up like that. Butchered her out myself it was my first experience at this and it went well. Meat in the freezer, trimmings in to get made into hot beer sausage. I know not a story about a nice buck but i do enjoy hunting and eating them does [Smile]

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Correction, I did not think the woodleighs would open up like that, doesn't matter they got the job done and the deer is in the freezer.

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good job billy375 - having a freezer full of quality game meat is great, plus the satisfaction of processing the meat yourself - job well done!! any photos of that mulie gal?

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Couple of pics in the camera, I don't have a scanner though, need to get one!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Billy-thanks for the story

Yeah bucks are nice but to me unless they are really big-I could care less-I say to the world let the smaller bucks (the ones not to go on your wall) and beat up on the does.

I also think it is cool you did your own butchering--so far this fall I've done an elk and 5 lopes. Muley does are next for me and the wife and for the cutting board.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Right on Mark! Give the bucks a chance to grow big horns. Does need to be harvested also.

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job Billy.
Take advantage of whatever natural rests are available to you.If there are trees where you hunt then place a glove between you and the tree to cushion the rifle.This should help steady your shot. Also the tops of fence posts work well to steady the shot.I was impressed that you did not shoot until you could control the rifle.I used to hunt in electric transmission towers when I was younger.Gave it up because after the shot ,my legs started shaking and I almost fell off.Shoot enough critters and you will start to calm down.
Glad to hear that you butchered that doe yourself.
Remember that most negative flavors in game are carried in the fat.Trim away all of the fat and that doe will taste like heaven.

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Billy, in addition to removing all the fat before cooking, do not overcook the meat. Try some med rare from the grill and you will be hooked on deer steaks!

Overcooked meat tastes like shoe leather and chews like it also.

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been going to Wyoming for the last several years. I usually see the big buck but getting close enough for a shot is another matter. I have taken a doe on the last day each year. They eat just fine, and a good stalk is a good stalk wether doe or buck. Eat well and enjoy.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billy375:
Meat in the freezer, trimmings in to get made into hot beer sausage.

Any chance you could post the recipe for this?? It's not a dish I'm familiar with, this side of the pond.
[Smile]

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
British, I did the butchering but not the sausage making, took the trimmings into the meat shop and the hot beer sausage sounded really good. Not sure if they'll give up the recipie. My wife made some stew tonite with the deer, looks pretty good. [Wink]