New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bumblebees/Dangerous Game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was mowing the grass this evening and noticed that our bush honeysuckles are about to bloom. This is generally what ushers in our only dangerous game season here in eastern Kentucky; Bumblebees.

I started hunting them years ago with a .22 and shot cartridges loaded with No. 12 shot. I have to be careful now that we actually have neighbors (may be temporary after dangerous game season). What's everybody's experience with this cartridge? I am interested in responses to the following:

1. I have had good luck over the years with the standard cartridge with the folded crimp, but was considering moving up to the CCI Minimag. This, like the 458/458 Lott combo would give me more options.

2. This ammo is subsonic. Does anyone have any experience with suppressors and shot cartridges? That would solve the neighbor problem and allow me to work closer to the bait tree without provoking a charge (from 6').

3. Any thoughts on shot size? I have used No. 12 for years, but sometimes don't get reliable kills beyond about 8'. Some of the newer loads are available in No. 9. Would overpenetration be a problem in a herd(swarm) situation? I am also concerned about keeping two loads due to the possibility of mixup. This load also serves as my pest load (stray dogs) and I need a minimum penetration load for this.

4. My rifle of choice to date has been a single shot Stevens, due to the inability of the round to function in an automatic. It is short, handy and accurate. Recoil with the standard loads is not a problem. I am somewhat concerned about the Minimags. I also am nervous about the single shot. I would love a double, since its length, combined with the two quick shots would be ideal when hunting in the "bush". However, cost may be an obstacle. Would anyone recommend a bolt? Maybe a carbine?

5. What would be considered the proper hatband for a safari hat in this situation?

Any input appreciated. Remember that I am allergic to bee stings.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Art
Are you drunk? [Big Grin] [Wink]

I've used a .22 shot load to effectivly kill little ground squirrels (about the size of mice) in a .22 revolver at about 8'

Bees may take less killin'

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Use a BB gun already and be a little sporting!!!!! [ [Razz] ]

When I was a kid we used to play a game in the clover, stepping on them and killing them with our bare feet.

Eventually your sorry you played that game.

[ 04-23-2003, 05:14: Message edited by: cas ]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
4. My rifle of choice to date has been a single shot Stevens, due to the inability of the round to function in an automatic... Would anyone recommend a bolt?

You need to check out the Kimber 22's. They actually have a Mauser type extractor, and CRF. Remember, this is DG here, and with an allergic reaction, your life is on the line. Settle for nothing less, your life depends on it!!! [Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin] [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
This would be spiffy!
 -
Picture from 2001 Safari Club Show.
http://www.gunshop.com/sci2001.htm

[ 04-19-2003, 16:58: Message edited by: Copper Country ]

Posts: 138 | Location: Hubbell, Michigan, USA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Copper Country
that must be one heck of a stopping rifle, since it's a double [Big Grin]

Double's are better whan you life is at risk soo why take a chance [Big Grin]

This is just to funny, a double in 22lr [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hahaha,

this is kinda good.

We have used 12 gauges to get rid of wasp nests at work. Two of us would empty all the shot we had into the nests hoping to take as many of the little bastards out as we could. So far I havn't been stung.

I find number 8 shot works good for the paper nests. Number 4 for when you need a little deeper penetration on the rotten log nests. Gasoline for ground nests.

Always use the proper gun for the job. You don't want to be under gunned for dangerous game.

Happy hunting. [Cool]

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only fool alive who hunted bees. A couple of friends and I use pellet guns though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say a nice Beeman(pun intended) Kodiak out of a RWS 48/52/54 oughta have enough stopping power while not letting the neighbors get to privy to your antics!! They work great on other pests too!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Art,
To someone whom is allergic to bee venom,bee
are truely dangerous game.
My younger brother upon being stung by a bee,began to swell around the face.Within minutes
he was having great difficulty breathing. Fortunely,The Drs.office was 2 miles away and we were able to get help in time.The Dr.stated,most likely my brother would not have survived the trip
to the emergency room at the hospital.
A point of interest,only female bees and wasps can sting.
In mid Tennessee,we have an abundance of wasps and bees,providing good off season shooting.
I often wing shoot the wasps with the high powered nail gun blanks,they will kill a wasp to about 5 feet away.
Carpenter bees are very erratic in flight,I use
fireforming loads with 8-10 grs. of pistol powder,
toilet paper and cornmeal to wing shoot them.It is lethal to 8-10 feet.
On bumblebees,I see feeding on clover,I use .22 LR,as I live in a remote area.
I suspect that,there are a lot of "closet"
bee shooters around.
WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about using a flamethrower? That way you can get the bees and their hive at the same time. [Big Grin]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flamethrowers are lot of fun, but relatively unsporting. They also don't do a lot of good for the bush honeysuckle.

A comment above reminded me that our most common quarry is actually the wood bee, a larger variant. Has anyone collected a slam of all the bumblebee types in one season?

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting close to my grand slam. However I have to save up so I can afford the trip to Africa or south America for the dreaded "Killer bee"

What would you recomend for this type of bee? Is CRF needed? I understand this is a very hostile bee prone to attacking and often swarming to protect their young.

Would it be unsporting to wear a bee suit?

What about bait?

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honey, always honey.

posted Hide Post
Them thar vermin is pure dangerous game as fer as us Vermonters is concerned. My frontstuffer has accounted for untold kills in the killing fields of the back lawn. I use an empty sabot and 1 30 grain pellet of powder and have been known to hunt (read: waste) an entire afternoon away. My better half thinks that I am plum loco. Good luck this season...someone oughta post some pics of a successful afternoon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folded crimp shot ammo will pattern much better thru a rifled bore than the cci capsules. Smooth bore .22's intended for shot are available. Bees are fun, range to about 15'-25' with a rifled bore.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and I are going on swatfari Saterday.
Dakota (my son) will as usual be packing his trusty Red Rider. I (his PH) will be packing my .416 rem.

I,m not kidding! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

When a bee charges you can't be over gunned.
The load is 8 grains of W231, a case full of cream of wheat plugged with a wad of toilet paper.
Devestation! [Big Grin]
I am considering moving up to 10 grains, but recoil is an issue.

My wife is right. I really am a big boy with expensive toys. My son loves it though.
You should have seen the look on his face when I pulled out my 416.
Just our little secret. [Wink]

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I belong to the Mark Sullivan school of bee hunters. The trick is to sneak up behind them when they are on a blossom and grab them by the wings. Bumble bee's and honey bee's cannot bend their abdomen backwards. I can tell you from experience, don't try this with a wasp though [Eek!]

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
4. My rifle of choice to date has been a single shot Stevens, due to the inability of the round to function in an automatic. It is short, handy and accurate. Recoil with the standard loads is not a problem. I am somewhat concerned about the Minimags. I also am nervous about the single shot. I would love a double, since its length, combined with the two quick shots would be ideal when hunting in the "bush". However, cost may be an obstacle. Would anyone recommend a bolt? Maybe a carbine?

5. What would be considered the proper hatband for a safari hat in this situation?.

Have you considered a pump? That would solve the problem of having a repeater that is reliable with low-power loads (unlike an autoloader), faster to activate than a bolt action, and relatively inexpensive (unlike a double).

As to headwear, I think a pith helmet, covered with bee netting that reaches down to your shirt or jacket, would be appropriate for this dangerous game situation.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I have found over the years, that one of the finest weapons for bumblebees is a well swung badmitten racket. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike416,

That reminds me I have seen little electronic fly swatter badminton rackets. Push a little button and it charges the wires and then wack the bugs.

That would be excellent for bee hunting.

Much easier on the capes for trophy mounting.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Art S

Have you thought about going into th emovie business?

Titles such as "Humming Death Around My Ears", or " Swarming Death" might be appropriate.

I think that double .22 LR with shot is just the ticket for this business, for that quick left and right on "charging" bumble bees when saving the client.

PS I think I know where you are coming from with this thread [Wink]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Markus; I bought 6 of those swatters and handed them out to friends in the Tulameen area. They don't work quite that good on large game but then if you swing it hard enough derF

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote