New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rainguard.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from a successful hunt in Western Washington.
We were hunting the four day late season for Blacktail Deer.
Traditionaly, this hunt is a little wet, but the last few days were soaking wet...almost monsoon in intensity.
My wife bought me a scope for my birthday last summer. It, a very nice scope with excellent quality had the "Rainguard" feature.
Whatever it is, WORKS!!!! I couldn't believe it!!! The Zeiss, Leupold and others can compare for optical quality when rain soaked!!!
I looked at the objective lens and was shocked at the amount of water that collected.....it was unreal!!!
This feature is fantastic for the hunter who goes about hunting in VERY inclimate weather!!!
I just wonder if any have experiance with this "Rainguard". Is it good? Does it rub off...etc. This hunt was fantastic!!!
Blacktails in the brush with a constant downpour!! Two nice BIG BT bucks out of four is not bad I think....
I used to use my 'ol M-71 Winchester .348 for this stuff. Now, I'll use the .25WSSM M-70 FWT. with the "Rainguard" scope.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I am assuming the scope is a Bushnell Elite?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
try rain-x from the auto parts store

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Year before last I missed an elk using a frozen over Leupold at last light. I simply couldn't see out of it to make the shot. My wife dropped a nice 5pt bull at 260 yds while I sat helpless. She had her new Elite scope on her rifle with what I had considered to be gimicky fluff, "rainguard." My Leupold is now on my AR, and I have an elite on my main hunting rifle.

The rainguard on the elite doesn't just shed moisture like the stuff for windshields, it allows you to see through water and fog on the lense to an incredible degree. You can have a fogged and frozen scope and still be able to operate. It is shockingly effective.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rainguard works as I have used it in a mixture of rain, freezing rain and snow condition. They perform better than my Leupold scopes under the extreme conditions.

Don’t put Rain-X or like products on scope or binoculars. They may damage the factory coating on the lens and void your warranty.

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote