Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08/Pronghorn
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
Tell me your thoughts on the 7mm-08 as a pronghorn round. Thanks.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Ought to be just fine. I'd load it with 120ish grain standard bullets (antelope are thin-skinned and not all that big) and go for it. The faster the load the better to flatten trajectory in the case of a long shot. My wife shot her antelope at 225 yards with a 100 grain ballistic tip out of a .257 Roberts and he died within a few steps. I would imagine that an equivalently loaded 7mm-08 would do the same if you put the bullet where it needs to be.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It should work fine, any medium caliber load shooting any light to medium weight bullet works. I bring a different rifle almost every time I go antelope hunting and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference what I use. I've used rifles chambered in 243, 308, 7mm Mag and 300 WSM. I'm thinking about bringing my 375 H&H next season.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo M:

My thoughts are if you use a 7mm-08 on antelope you best find a good butcher cause you are going to have to process some meat. You can't want a much better round.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken antelope with the 308 and 165 grain bullets, the 30 Herrett, a 7mm Mag, a 300 Wby Mag, I have seen them taken with 243's, 6mm, 25-06's,270,other 7mm Mags, other 300 Mags, 35 Herrett, and a black powder 50.
I have taken more with a 308 than any other caliber. Your 7mm-08 should be perfect.
I would be prepared for a 300 to 350 yard shot. I have taken them as close as 90 yards, but if you are prepared for a 350 yard shot you will bring honme the meat. Antelope meat is VERY good to eat.
My wife and I always bought extra doe tags.
MMMMM Good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Near perfect, I would shy away from really light 110-120gr varmint bullets though. Yeah, a lot of guys shoot em out @ 400yds but if you work it hard, you can get closer. If you do get that 90yds shot, your likely to turn him into hamburger w/ a 120gr (except a Barnes). Stay w/ any of the good 140gr & bring home the lope steaks.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my last Pronghorn with a .416 Rem Mag Model 70 as it was what I had on me at the time. I was on the way up to Custer Park SD to hunt Bison and noticed that Pronghorn tags were available while filling up at a local gas station. I used a 400 grain Hornady solid and the animal died quickly. USE ENOUGH GUN! Big Grin

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I suppose it depends only on how well you can shoot...... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
Shot my last Pronghorn with a .416 Rem Mag Model 70 as it was what I had on me at the time. I was on the way up to Custer Park SD to hunt Bison and noticed that Pronghorn tags were available while filling up at a local gas station. I used a 400 grain Hornady solid and the animal died quickly. USE ENOUGH GUN! Big Grin

yowza! you plan on taking that thing to wisconsin, just in case you run into a cat or two?

p.s. that is SOME beautiful country, isn't it? i lived north of there in spearfish for several years. on one hand i was saddened by all of the tourist traffic, but on the other, i must say that i loved being in one of the most beautiful areas on earth. consolation lay in the fact that i knew 5 or 6 places to go that were well off the beaten path......

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

i have experience with the 7x57 and antelope. as you know, the 7x57 is a near-twin of the 7/08, and as the rest of the guys here have been saying, it is a winner! the bullet i was using was a 145-grain winchester powerpoint, and i experienced flawless performance.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My wife has killed many goats with hers.140 gr, N.P. Works good for her.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I use my 7mm-08 for all of my hunting here in Texas including pronghorn. A 120 gr. or 140 gr. bullet will work just fine. I prefer the 140 gr. personally. I am currently using the 140 gr. TSX in mine. The 139 gr. SST, the 140 gr. Accubond, 140 gr. Partition, and the 140 gr. Ballistic Tip will all get the job done.

Good Hunting,

Here is a "7mm-08" west Texas pronghorn.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
yowza! you plan on taking that thing to wisconsin, just in case you run into a cat or two?

p.s. that is SOME beautiful country, isn't it?

Actually I shot the pronghorn in Wyoming before turning north to SD. That area of SD is really great I agree. I have a preference point and should draw a bull tag in Custer this year if I put in. I just dont know if I can swing the cash, however, as I am already booked for another bison in the Yukon territory. Two bison in the same year might be a bit of stretch when it comes to meat storage, taxidermy bills and taxidermy space constraints. Big Grin

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have shot two with my 7-08. Both were shot with 120n gr. handloads.One at about 200-225 yards and the other at 300 + yards.Both were lung shot and neither ran over a few yards.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I took two nice antelope last year with a Kimber M84 7-08. Both at about 400 yards using 140 Nosler BT. Neither took a second step. It should work fine for you too.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it's a terrific calibre Leo and it's one of my favourites. I bought mine for deer hunting and it's done a good job in that role. While I personally don't recommend it, my son got his elk last year with that rifle using 140 grain FailSafes. Very capable cartridge.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote