New
Find
Notify
Tools

My second antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just back from a 3 day trespass hunt in area 72 of Wyoming.

Booked the trespass through Butch Manasse Outdoor Adventures http://www.worldwide-hunts.com/I have booked a few hunts with BMOA and have always got my game and the promised hunt.

I had a fairly large ranch to hunt. As far as I could tell, I had it all to myself for the weekend. I only saw 1 other truck during the hunt. Likely a ranch hand or oilfield guy, as they were just driving.

The land was fairly rough and hilly. This made stalking easy as I could always slip around a hill after I spotted a group. I also saw several mulies including one nice buck.

The ranch roads were a little rough for the only 4x4 I could find to rent in Casper, a fancy 2006 Explorer. I managed to high center it twice and finally decided I would have to hoof it to see much of the ranch. It also rained quite a bit Fri-Sat, making the roads slick.

In spite of this, I did look over probably two dozen bucks or so and managed to stalk with 175 yards of the second largest one, as far as I can judge them. There were several that were essentially identical to him. I did spot one larger one with great prongs, but I spooked him and his girlfriends and was not able to get <300 yards for a shot.

As Murphy would have it, I shot him in a rough area and had a pack to get him out. Luckily, this is much easier than packing a caribou or elkSmiler

Not really sure if he is a really good one or not. He is just at 14" and I can't put my hands around the bases. I am very happy with him and the hunt. Love doing it on my own.

This would be a great hunt for a father-son or a normally non-hunting companion. You are in animals all day and it can be a relatively easy hunt. I am going to get my brother, who doesn't really hunts but loves to shoot, to go back one year with me.

I didn't have my tripod with me. At the time, it did not seem like a good idea to go back to the truck to get it for a decent tropy photo with my ugly mug. A decision I already regret.

[URL=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/metalman29/AntelopeCropPic.jpg]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS:

Gun used was a old Rem 700 in 6mm.

This animal is also very special as it is the first animal I have ever taken with my own reloaded ammo!

He fell to a 95 grain Nosler BT with a near max charge of H4350.

Being a 30-06 fan, this is also the first animal over 100 lbs I have ever taken with a bullet < 150 grains.

I was impressed with the performance. He managed to roll/kick down a hill for about 30 yards, but never really took a step. Hit the shoulder going in and broke the off leg coming out. Full penetration and the bloodshot meat was not as bad as I expected. I feared a blowup of that small and frangible a bullet, but the behavior was all I could have wanted. I would not hesitate to use that combo again, at least on animals of this size/weight.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice going. Think you should consider firing your camera man, however...Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote