Find
Notify
Tools

who's idea is this?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
I wonder what species of bird this is intended to be for? its about 10 ft off the ground,and the entrance hole is about 18"tall.I would say they have enough room in there for a few chicks.
Looks like a dog house to me. Roll Eyes its on a state WMA near here.Anybody seen anything similar?

It was an interesting morning,even if way too early in the year for hunting

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owls maybe?

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bats...maybe?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be more inclined to think ducks, but I can tell you it ain't for bats. I've had to build a lot of bat houses as mititgation, they are narrow vertical boxes with the entire bottom being open, and placed 15+ feet off of the ground. Owls, I don't know--but the ones I've had to build go way up in tree also.

It'll be interesting to see the exact answer.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Looks like some of the wood duck houses built in the marshes here.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I would guess Wood Duck as well.

Posts: 6258 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the opening is indeed 18" tall then that makes the box about 6' - 7' tall. I guess you could always reach your arm in there and feel around.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of McKee Boykin
posted Hide Post
Squirrel house! Confused

Posts: 23 | Location: Edisto Island, SC | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Flying monkeys? Big Grin

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It definitely looks like the houses my father used to build out of cedar shingles for wood ducks when I was a boy. I used to wade out into a sheltered part of the swamp near shore and drive the pointed stake deep into the muck. (My father hammered old razor blades at an angle into the stake to discourage water snakes from crawling up in the Spring) Yeah, it looks to me like it's for wood ducks. (Scarce when I was a boy in NY and season limit was only 1 when I was a teenager -Thus I never shot a "woodie" in my life)

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I kind of doubt it would be for wood ducks if the hole is 18" high and the box is that big. My guess would be some kind of house for a marsh bird colony.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Wood Duck boxes I've seen look a bit different and are not quite so big. They are also very near or over water.

Alan

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
wood duck houses are way smaller.There are hundreds of woodie houses around.
This thing is at least 4-5 FEET tall.it is in a upland field,some distance from water.Im guessing its for owls,but,I dont know yet.I would have thought it would have been better in the trees,but what do I know.
If you compare the width of the 2x4 braces on the bottom (1 1/2 x3 1/2),to the opening,it would be about 3 2x4s widths tall,which would be about 10-12 inches high.Smaller than my estimate,but it shows just how big it is.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of wood duck billets and blue bird houses, but never anything quite like this. Somebody put a lot of time and effort into it.

So maybe it was some boy scout project that went on tilt. Some well meaning dad with some new tools got a little carried away.

Let's not rule out the possibility that some tree-hugging dipshit had a notion that this was something that he/she thought birds would like. Maybe it was a left over dog house and they featured it as a potential condo for condors.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Lets not forget this is on STATE property,and this was probably paid for with tax dollars.It probably cost well over $1000 for this to be planned,built and installed.There is a large locked gate that must have been opened for someone to put that post in the ground.
I like how the tin to keep raccoons and squirrels out around the post is above the 2x4 braces,making the tin useless. Roll Eyes

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barn owls. Although it's a somewhat "unique" design there's little doubt. I've twice seen them built and placed (both times on public land) as boy scout projects.

BTW, that tiny predator guard would be useless where ever it was on the post but yes, especially there!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i suspect it is just something someone built as a lark. certainly not suitable for any bird in the lower 48 states, obviously not for any canine.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I am gonna say it is an owl box, either Barn Owls or Great Horned Owls will use this type box. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with Barn Owl as well, they don't need much room on the floor, so the entrance hole can be low. Most plans call for the hole higher so the fledglings don't fall out too early. The "deck" is a place where the fledglings can venture out and test their wings before first flight. Lots of room at the top to keep the house from getting too hot.

If it's not for Barn Owls then my second guess would be your local Monk Parakeets Smiler

And you thought ducklings were ugly:

But they look great later:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
As for the tin predator guard, my guess is that the round pipe under the floor of the house is mounted to the house and slides down over the post.

The 2x4's were probably installed after the house was set in place as an afterthought to keep the house from turning in the wind.

SWAG Method In Action.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
best bet is owls.there is quite a barn owl following out there.this is somewhat similar

http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/content_images/gallery/P...ose_up1211380701.jpg

I emailed one of the dnr heads and asked what its for.should have an answer soon.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
wood duck houses are way smaller.There are hundreds of woodie houses around.

Then it is obviously a Wood Duck Apartment.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
It is probably a Chupacabra House.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
When I was in High School some of the teachers got kids to build houses for extra credit for public lands. The public lands folks took what they got for free. Some of them were goofy like that. But free is free!

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
I've had to build a lot of bat houses as mititgation...

Fish30114-

I don't mean to pry or hijack this thread, but I have a feeling there is a funny story behind building bat houses for mitigation! Wink

Care to share? Big Grin

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
I've had to build a lot of bat houses as mititgation...

Fish30114-

I don't mean to pry or hijack this thread, but I have a feeling there is a funny story behind building bat houses for mitigation! Wink

Care to share? Big Grin

Well the quick short version is, 1500 acre parcel, 30 acres of swamp there, and a cave known to house bats. In order to gain permitting to build a bridge that SPANNED, did not touch in any way the swamp, I got to provide mitigation for 'existing indiginous species enhancement' {say that fast} on 5 upland acres (read as not in swamp) and throughout the projcet for other credit. Encouraging bat survival is a great win/win though, they eat lots of bugs, and we built about 500 'bat boxes' throughout the project, along with lots of wetland establishment on the 5 upland acres......about 300 of the bat boxes actually ended up with bats in them, which the biologists told us was great!

Interesting stuff to be sure!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks. That is interesting. I thought for you sure you were going to tell a story about being busted for shooting bats with pellet guns under railroad trusses like we used to do as kids. Haha

We didn't realize the amazing amount of insects they eat every night. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote