Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado sheep results posted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted
Any one draw a tag? I drew another weighted preference points----3 points + 3 weighted points now. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too CB, another weighted point. I now have 3 + 6 for sheep, maybe next year!!

Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My brother did not draw Sheep or Goat he now has 3 points and 9 weighted points for both.
I did not draw a Desert Sheep again for the last 12 years running.
I'm betting on a Moose tag this year!
(been applying for Moose since 1986)

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blanked again. That makes 23 years in a row for sheep. I drew the tag in 1986 but was too selective. I let a 3/4 ram walk over the hill since I was intent on getting at least a full curl. That was the only decent ram I saw for the entire season. So, I ate a big plate of tag soup with my one and only sheep tag. I've been trying to draw again ever since, but no go.

I drew the goat tag in 2001 and this was the first time I'm actually in the running again.

But, there's always next year and the forthcoming moose draw. I've also put in for moose in my wife's native New Hampshire, so there's still hope yet.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I had my 15 year old son apply this year for his first time and he got a point as well, wasn't sure if I wanted to start him down this long and frustrating path of trying to draw a Sheep.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,

Your son will probably draw before I do. I got him by a point though because now I have two! Yippee!

Give me call when you get a chance.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, more of the same 'ole same 'ole.....3+6. When will the madness end?????

wave

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainview:
Yup, more of the same 'ole same 'ole.....3+6. When will the madness end?????

wave

I hear Ya. I've got 3+10 now for sheep and still can't draw. I may end up taking up archery just to have a better chance at the drawing. It's getting so hard to get the tag that I really think they should consider limiting it to residents only. But, I'll probably get blasted for that comment from the non-residents. There are just too few tags to go around.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how many tags does colorado give out every year? I've seen a lot of sheep out there over the years. in 2005, I saw, and almost ran over, 4 rams on the road between canyon city and gunnison. All of them were at least 3/4 curl, and 1 was full curl without a doubt. The gf and I stopped several times to take pictures of herds of them on the snowy slopes in that stretch of highway.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
MAC
Check your figures, I think max points for Sheep, Goats and Moose are 3 points + 9 weighted points, doesn't matter though even with max points most of us can't draw a tag.
Andy
This year (2009) 12,076 people applied for 265 Sheep tags.
8,862 residents applied for 238 tags and 3,198 non residents applied for 26 tags and 16 resident youths applied for 1 youth tag. These figures include ewes as well as rams, archery as well as rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snell,

You're right. I just double checked. I have 3+9. Still kind of frustrating to not be able to draw. Many times I wish I had the 3/4 ram in front of me again with a valid tag in my pocket. If I ever draw again, I sure won't be making the same mistake again.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey MAC in 1996 I drew my Sheep tag and passed on a Ram at 35 yards on opening day/evening, he was a solid 3/4 curl but thin on the tips and I had a certain size Ram in mind. I hunted 24 days and killed a nice one, a Ram I'd never seen there before so he was a surprise and he was what I was after. You just never know what luck has in store for you.
Good luck in the drawing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac - Snellstrom's right, ya just gotta keep tryin! In 1995 I drew a Sheep tag in Colorado, took a 174" ram from unit 50, and took a 9" Mtn. Goat from G-7 in 2001. Haven't draw a sheep tag since, even though I apply all across the west for tags.

I did however draw a Shiras Moose tag in Montana in 2006 where I shot a net B&C moose, and I drew an Early Rifle Bull Elk tag in AZ. this year!! So keep trying, it's gonna happen again! Good Luck.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
In 1995 I drew a Sheep tag in Colorado, took a 174" ram ... and took a 9" Mtn. Goat from G-7 ... I did however draw a Shiras Moose tag in Montana in 2006 where I shot a net B&C moose, and I drew an Early Rifle Bull Elk tag in AZ. this year!!

Dear Aaron,

You are an a-hole and I hate you. moon

Sincerely.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Aaron
My Sheep was from unit 35, never measured him but everyones guess is 178". I got my 9-1/4" Billy in unit G-4. After those two I keep trying for a Colorado Desert Sheep but no luck yet.
Wendell seems Jealous of you Aaron!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Jealousy is such a strong word ... Big Grin

... I just was just giving him back some crap he gave me earlier today.

I think it is great. thumb

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one more question, where are the desert sheep in CO? I thought they were all RM bighorns...

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
There are 3 Desert Sheep units, 2 are near Grand Junction in Mesa and Montrose counties while the third unit is further south in Dolores county.
6 tags were given out this year, all Rams.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom - Unit 35 is another good area that alot of people are not aware of, 178" is an awesome RAM, good for you!! I have guided goats in G-4 a couple of times, always an enjoyable experience in all of those units when the Bunny Huggers are watching!

You may know Mike Duplan who is from here in Colorado? He just called me yesterday, seems the LUCKY bastard won the Colorado Statewide Raffle Sheep tag!! Now talk about luck!!

Ya know if it weren't Wendell giving me shit all the time, I actually would have a stress free day!!!

Futrdoc - Colorado gives Desert Sheep tags to residents only, I believe there are 6 available each year. They are located in the SW part of the state! The guy who I just mentioned above, Mike Duplan, ya he's drawn one of them too!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron
I have a feeling we know people in common, my brother knows Mike Duplan and I think I met him 2 years ago on my brothers unit 44 late season buck hunt.
Mike is one lucky S.O.B.!
Did I meet you in Arizona last yaer at one of the hunters safety classes?
My brother and I went down to get the extra point there were a couple of guys from Colorado there too.
On my Goat hunt I went in on horseback in the backside of the unit to the Bear track lakes basin and never saw another person the whole time so no bunny huggers!
I can't wait to see my brothers reaction when I tell him Mike got that tag!
I'd like to hear more about your upcoming AZ hunt.
Dave Snellstrom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom - I too have hunted G-4 from where you are talking about, guiding long ago actually!! Packed a goat out from the bottom of hidden lake once, the whole damn thing in one trip as the client could not carry anything!

Mike and I have both hunted 44 together over the past few years, both for ourselves and with a couple of buddies!!

No, it wasn't me in AZ., I have not taken the course there!

I drew the multi-unit tag, valid north of Prescott. I have 2 good friends that outfit the area, both of them lease BIG private ranches. One's 257,000 acres, the other is about 75,000 acres. Most of the good elk hunting in the units is on private, but the tag is fairly easy to draw compared to the rest of AZ. Two years ago they shot 14 bulls on the 257,000 acre ranch, 7 of the 14 grossed 400" or better! Guess we will see how it goes!

Where are you from in Eastern Colorado? I still lease about 60,000 acres out there myself, and the guy who took over my former outfitting operation has the remaining 150,000 acres still leased?????

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com