New
Find
Notify
Tools

camo for antelope hunt
 Login/Join

<hcfd533>
posted
I am going to southeastern Wyoming on an antelope hunt in late Sept. This will be my first antelope hunt as well as my first hunt out west. What will be a good camo pattern for hunting antelopes? I have some desert BDU's from my time in the ARMY will that work or is there something better?

<MontanaMarine>
posted
that should work fine under your 400 square inches of blaze orange. [Wink]

MM

posted Hide Post
Most of the grasses are out there are yellow and brown; the dirt is grayish brown. Desert BDUs are probably fine, but I've never needed camo. I hunt in a grey sweater and faded blue jeans most of the time.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Chevy or Ford Pickup is the best Antelope camo.

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
have you though of using a "fake cow" plywood blind? A friend in Western Canada uses one with success

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
hcfd533,
I have hunted antelope in SE Wyoming for a few years and have never needed camo clothing. Between the Laramie and Rawlins areas I have taken 30 some. Blaze orange is required but not 400 sq inches unless they have changed the rules since last season. Which area did you draw?

Ray,
So we need a Chevy or a Ford? What about my Dodge? Do I have to go buy a new pick-up? Maybe I can use that as my excuse to buy the new Chevy Dura-Max diesel.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camo is alright but I personally think knee pads are more important. If you go without them you'll find out what I'am talking about.

The Chevy truck isn't for concellment, it's to carry around the "Big Bore". Ray always uses enough gun. [Eek!]

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JHook>
posted
Yeah I'd throw the elbow pads in with the knee pads. My last hunt for them I did a belly crawl for about 60 yrds, only to have to critter run like hell.

Were supposed to go this fall if we draw. This time Im going to do more ambush sitting. Every other ranch , and vehicle, is pushing them all over the place anyway. Im going to spend a day scouting and then spend 1/2 my time just sitting. Nobody can tell me they cant see those orange vests especially when your moveing. I think any camo works as well as any other for them, theres no reason to buy new stuff for speedgoats.

Last time I packed a lunch and water and spent a whole day in solitude in the vast Montana prairie. Boy what a magnificent state..................good luck..............J

one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe,
Yes that will work, I also drive a Dodge Ram, but I really want one of the new Chevys also, guess I was just wishing...Dodge is a good stinkie goat truck...maybe we can run one over Hook...

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dodge trucks are especially valuable in the plains states due to their tornado-proof qualities...

(Rent the movie "Twister" for details)

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year I spent a night in Casper during the antelope season. The motel seemed overrun with folks in camo. Mostly some designer green based pattern that would of been perfect for a spring turkey hunt in Mississippi!

Apparantly they were hunting alfalfa fields cause the irrigation circles were the only green I saw in the landscape. [Big Grin]

With pronghorn, as with all game, I think it's more important to stay out of sight than to rely on camo. If you do go with camo, think grey, tan or light brown.

Good luck with your hunt, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hey

How about a ghillie suit [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I have never been in to the commado type of hunting. Some of the camo freaks seems to be nervous about most stuff [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I use grey, olive,green clothes when I hunt.

/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Camo Suits for Antelope? [Big Grin] Are we trying to kill the antelope with humor? Why not just wear a sign around their necks that say's "I'm from back East." [Cool]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hcdf533, we are poking a little fun at you, but it's good natured fun. Come on out and hunt antelope. We'll be glad to see you, with or without camo. And you'll have a good time. [Smile]

The problem is most antelope I know about live in mighty open country and they have the eyes of an eagle. A snake has a hard time sneaking up on them. As Ray suggests, the best "camo" is a vehicle. Many antelope won't pay much attention to a vehicle...until people start hopping out of it.

The best antelope "camoflague" is to get a hill or gully between you and these devils and then sorta "surprise them" when you pop up close by.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've worn Praire Ghost out of Vicor Mt quite a bit. It's good stuff, matches the sage quite well.

NatGear makes some excellent stuff as well- a bit darker than the P Ghost though.

Also a fella from Buffalo Wyo (I believe) is also a maker of some really good camo for the open country.

Knee pads would be nice/elbow pads and a good pair of lightweight leather gloves.

Are you gonna be bow hunting or rifle?

We did the cow trick on some bow hunting lopes last year it worked like you won't believe! grins

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something that really works for me when stalking goats is for the shooter to bail out of the truck (when it is going very slow) and just stay down flat for alittle while. The truck/drive proceeds on his merry way keeping in sight, and parking about 1/2mile away. Get out of the truck, have a cup of coffee or what ever, only move around a little. The lope will watch the truck and driver everytime while the shooter is closing the range. Nothing to it. Last time I pulled this I got a nice 15in. buck south of Lemhi. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete is giving you a good trick and it works...another trick that works is hang your shirt on a sotol, a stick, whatever and lay low, they will wonder over to see what all the fuss is about and you can pop one...In the low rolling hills it is easy to walk up on them but keep a hill between you and them and never skyline yourself...

A pure walking antelope hunt can be a 50 mile a day walk and meet with little success in most parts of the country. Just wear kaki or green shirt with levis or kaki pants.

<Huntaholic>
posted
I have been going to the northern Colorado, southeastern Wyoming are
hunting elk , deer, and antelope since 1994. On the open plains, Mossy Oak's
Shadow Grass pattern is as good as it gets. Where in SE WY you gonna be?

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are hell to sneak up on but you can do it. In addition to knee pads bring tweezers. After one or two sneaks you will know why. They are a great animal to hunt if you make a hunt out of it. I watched some guys last year chaseing them on ATVs and it made me sick. Good luck.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote