New
Find
Notify
Tools

MASS confusion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wow!! How's a neophyte to learn on this forum?

One group of very experienced hunters says you are a fool to use anything "less" than a $3 premium on game. Others insist, to the tune of 30 page topics, that a fragile, disintegrating bullet is the ONLY way to go, and that shot placement is EVERYTHING.

Soooo...will it be $3 premiums in the Ultra-mags, so I can shoot any animal from any angle, OR will it be the Sierra Matchkings, and chose the RIGHT shot, but from a mile away??

HMMMMMM....since I am just an average guy, shooting average calibers, with an average income, spending only a bit on my hunts (about 200.00 per game animal - max)
I guess maybe I'd be well suited by the AVERAGE standard factory ammo like Core-locks,
or Power-points.

Do ya think??

one of us
posted Hide Post
C'mon guys....get the hell off the pot. I'm trying to stir it!!

<Howitzer>
posted
Johnny Ringo,

What are you doing? You're going to get blasted from both sides!!!! I'm just glad that you didn't say that you used an average scope or else all hell would break loose(what does an average scope look like anyway?low end leupold,high end tasco?).

I don't think people are allowed to be average here!!!Pick your side early, you don't want to fall with a leg on each side of the fence if you know what I'm saying.

Seriously, it all depends on your AVERAGE success rate when hunting. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

<Howitzer>
posted
Patience Johnny I can only type so fast!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't confuse the issue, by quoting facts from companies like federal, that make premium bullets, at very nice velocities, that will probably kill everything, short of armor plated elk, and bear.

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Howitzer>
posted
This is where I meant to post this.
Johnny,

I'm shocked and appalled. We are two years into a new millenium and nobody has told you the rules yet? As the clock struck 12 on december 31 1999 all elk and moose were issued bullet proof jackets. This put an end to broadside shots. Hunters have had no recourse but to use heavy calibers with Premium bullets in order to penetrate these formidable opponents until recently. The new way is to be a long ways away and use Matchkings on a broadside shot. Impossible to penetrate bullet proof jackets?NO, the matchkings first "pencil through the jacket" and then upon reaching the vitals explode into pieces thereby quickly dispatching the animal.
Johnny you have a choice to make. Either get a bigger gun and start use premiums or load matchkings and back up for the shot. AVERAGE bullets in a AVERAGE gun won't cut it anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates....your post confuses me....
are you a PREMIUM man, or not???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark me down on the hand loaded premium side of the fence. Nosler Partition, Bearclaws or X. Why, nothing's to good for my fury little friends. That plus after freezing in a tree stand for hours deer hunting or traveling far from home and spending big money to hunt what's $0.50 more for the price of the bullet.
I've tried the Hotcore, didn't pass through; Failsafe, one shot at a deer and it had 5 holes in it; Core-lokt, actually not a bad bullet: Extended-Range, junk. This of course is MY not so humble opinion But also based on 12+ years of deer hunting in Alabama and taking 50-60 deer, more or less. Plus tracking and capeing many more. We usually take 30 to 60 a year on the lease's I hunt on. Ok Johnny Ringo hows that for droping a t@#$ in the punch bowl?

------------------
Mark
http://communities.msn.com/20012002HuntingSeasoninAlabama/homepage

[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 03-03-2002).]

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME MARKO!!!
Thanks for the contribution.
Keep the pot stirrin' gents!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny, Don't even get me started on Ballistic Tips and deer huntin

There if that don't do it stick a fork in it this topic is done

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
How about pure lead in a muzzle loader or almost pure lead in black powder cartridges like the 45-70 at a laser like 1100 fps muzzle velocity, slow enough to see in a spotting scope at 200 yds.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ringo,

You want to kill 30 pages? Sorry - you can only do that using Matchkings. Nothing else will come even close.

Armadillos - they're not just for breakfast anymore.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Ralph Kelly>
posted
Ihope I have things right. If I want things just dead I should use Ballistic Tips, if I want them Dead Dead I use regular bullets (non premium) such as Corelocket's and power points, if I want them DEAD AS HELL, I should use the premium stuff! Boy this huntin stuff is hard to remember.

<Paladin>
posted
I don't understand: I just sit where the deer usually are, and when one comes by I shoot it with my revolver. It falls down, dies (or, sometimes dies and falls down), and that's that. Last one fell to a Speer "Gold Dot" hollowpoint loaded in my .38-40 Ruger Blackhawk. They're more expensive than most, so I suppose the Speer "Gold Dot" is a "premium" bullet, if that counts.
Paladin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralph Kelly,

I think you've got it!!

<X-Ring>
posted
Johny Ringo I'll be your huckle berry! Sorry couldn't help myself

As I have posted in resent threads I have been useing the high end stuff for several years now. I have resently decided to go back to the low end stuff. I have not seen any differance in the level of deadness acheived by these high dollar bullets. So why do I spend the money?

I'm going back to Hordaday interlocks and dare I say Ballistic Tips. Most of my kills are one shot kills, and at that rate I have enough X's to last the rest of my life so it's easy more me to say. Because I'm just changing my practice bullet for all intensive purposes.

Wow did any of that make sence to anyone?
X-Ring

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
X-ring,
interesting that you're returning to standard bullets.

I believe that the premiums are better bullets overall, but if (out of a 30.06)Power points will do the job 98% of the time, and
Bearclaws will do it 99%, I can't afford the extra $60 per year for that kind of insurance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
with all this talk about using only high end, you would think none of our ancestors who were shooting game with home made (low end) black powder equipment ever shot anything.

I don't think the high/low end matters that much as long as you know the limitations of your equipment and don't try to overshoot your equipment.

Shoot the best you can afford but shoot it well.

(Matchkings? we don't need no stinkin matchkings....)

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 03-10-2002).]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote