Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Hogs- Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
Some friends and I got invited to hunt for hogs in Florida with an outfitter down there, but I haven't heard much about this state for pigs. Does anyone have any experience with hunting them, how big they run for size, type of terrain, bag limts, and populations? I've been wanting to hunt hogs for years now and although it may not be wild boar in the mountains it sounds pretty good to me.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I live in Florida (northern) and I've hunted them all my life. I grew up in South Florida. Hogs get every bit as big here as everywhere else. Terrain will vary from swamp to pine to hardwoods ALL FLAT, HOT AND MUGGY ( i hate it here). if you give me more specifis as to location I can give you a better idea of the terrain. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
NBHunter,

The Florida wild hog runs about 150-175lbs for a mature sow. Boars run from 175-275lbs when mature. That's if they're eating whatever they can find in the swamps and praries. If they get fed, like most outfitters are going to do, then all bets are off. 400-500lbs is certainly possible. Best to ask the outfitter.

Also will you be hunting in established stands at feeders, stalking or behind dogs?

Best to ask your outfitter what kind of terrain you'll be hunting in. Most importantly will you need rubber boots, waders, or what?

Also make double damned sure there's a place for you to stay. We've been hit by 3 MAJOR hurricanes and motels are full in most places with workers doing relief and repair work.

Oh yeah... There's no bag limits or seasons for hogs in this state unless you're hunting in a Wildlife Management Area and then you'll need licenses and have established seasons etc.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in central Florida (which I think is the best hog country)...and I still hunt them every year.

I agree with the advice about boots. Get some rubber boots that come up just below the knee, and are easy to get in and out of. They are actually quieter than most other boots anyway. You won't need waders either. If you are going to seriously hunt the swamp, just wear low top sneakers and plan on getting wet. That can be some of the most interesting hunting in Florida, and you will never bump into another hunter.

Second, you will need good mosquito repellant.
I use army surplus DEET (which has been linked to peripheral nerve damage), or the OFF brand liquid.
If you are going in Sept or Oct, get a mosquito net that slips over your hat, and covers your face. Wear gloves too (thin cotton camo ones are great).

There is some mythology on this issue, but if you shoot a boar, gut him and remove the testicles and penis quickly.
The theory is that this reduces the musky odor that comes from boar meat while cooking (although it tastes fine).

I won't shoot boars anymore due to that smell that comes from cooking (or let me rephrase...my wife won't let me cook meat from a boar in or around the house).

You didn't ask about caliber, but I think of shooting a feral hog as similar to shooting a man in terms of what knocks them down.
I have used reduced velocity loadings in my Ruger Redhawk and Blackhawk pistols that were "supposedly" good self-defense loadings (44 Mag), that still exited the far side on a broadside chest shot on a 250 lb. boar. (The last boar I shot chased my wife up on the deck of our house when she went out to feed her horses. He was standing on the septic tank mound about 25 feet away when I shot him...first animal I ever shot while wearing only undershorts).

Lots of property owners/ranchers love to have the hogs shot on their property, although they don't want just anyone wandering up. On private property you can shoot them year round, and you can even shoot them at night by spotlight.

Good hunting,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Wild hogs are a terrible nuisance in many parts of Georgia. They can decimate a corn field almost overnight. In some cases local landowners not only don't charge hunters to remove hogs from their propery, they actually PAY them!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote