New
Find
Notify
Tools

87 gr. Speer TNT and Pronghorn
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
Anyone use this combination? I have an accurate load in my 25-06 and I've wondered if it might work.

posted Hide Post
The TNT is a varmint bullet, and not likely to get to the pronghorn's vitals.

Try the 87gr. Ballistic Tip instead. It should well in your rifle, and it's more of a game bullet than the TNT.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that is a very bad combination for antelope.
The TNT is far too fragile for game the size of antelope.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY BAD IDEA. Any other bullet intended for big game would work better. You've got plenty of time until fall to work up a good load combination.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS wrote:
quote:
Try the 87gr. Ballistic Tip instead.

There is no 87 grain Ballistic Tip, but there is an 85 grainer... Wink

Slancey-A pronghorn is not stoutly constructed, and while your 87 grain Speer MIGHT work, there is no guarantee. And if the animal presents a slight quartering angle and you take the shot, you could run into problems as well, particularly at closer ranges where higher attendant impact velocity will promote extremely rapid expansion.

I've yet to see a 25-06 that didn't shoot the 100 grain Ballistic Tips well. That's what I'd recommend.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Well, actually mine didn't shoot the 100 gr Ballistic Tip well. It shoots the 75 V-Max and anything 100 grain spitzer-length or shorter. I tried the 110 Accubond, 115 Ballistic tip, and even the 85 Ballistic Tip, and none of those worked.
I think I'll settle for the 100 grain Hornady or Speer spitzers.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bobby. It's been a while since I looked at Nosler's BT line.

I use the 100gr. Partition in my .25-06, although the 100gr. BT shot slightly better.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here's a picture of a fast varmint bullet that did not penetrate to the vitals on an antelope:

is this how you want to remember an antelope hunt out west?

use the appropriate bullet for the job you are asking it to do.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
here's a picture of a fast varmint bullet that did not penetrate to the vitals on an antelope:

gee,taz,that one looks like it penetrated almost all the way through. Eeker

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the XXX's, they shoot and penetrate at lighter weights. They do tend to be a little long for weight being all copper, but I've used them in my Sauer 202 in 25.06 and they shoot awesome.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is that the entrance wound?? It looks like an exit wound but since you said it didn't penetrate I am assuming its the entrance wound.

How did it make a hole that big?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what an entrance wound from a fragile varmint bullet at high velocity can do to a big game animal

I have seen it with my own eyes several times in my life

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
Anyone use this combination? I have an accurate load in my 25-06 and I've wondered if it might work.

Although the 87 grain TNT is a varmint bullet, and shoots extremely well in several 25 caliber rifles I have, the other Speer 87 grain SP would be appropriate. It is equally accurate in those same 25 caliber rifles as is the TNT.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Just a WAG, but I think a 100 or even 120 will serve you better with the 25-06 and some of the distances you may have to shoot.

Unless you get one standing there 50 yards away and then they may be even more important

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted antelope for several years in Wyoming.

The people that owned the ranch we hunted on waited until our group got there before they shot their antelope because they liked hunting with us.
The dad, his 3 sons, their girlfriends and his daughter, and her boyfriend all used 25-06's.
A coule of guys used the 25-06 as well.

All of them used the Sierra 100gr Spitzer with excellent results.

We shot a LOT of speed goats as we shot does as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I hunted antelope for several years in Wyoming.

The people that owned the ranch we hunted on waited until our group got there before they shot their antelope because they liked hunting with us.
The dad, his 3 sons, their girlfriends and his daughter, and her boyfriend all used 25-06's.
A coule of guys used the 25-06 as well.

All of them used the Sierra 100gr Spitzer with excellent results.

We shot a LOT of speed goats as we shot does as well.

Good point on the 100 grain bullets.
The 100 grain Nosler Partition is my go-to bullet in a 257 Roberts; very accurate, and a sure killer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
gee,taz,that one looks like it penetrated almost all the way through.

quote:
Is that the entrance wound?? It looks like an exit wound

jb and cvc -

unfortunately, that's the entrance wound. i believe they are called rose blooms. have never seen personally but have accounts from trusted friends and this picture account.

the highly-frangible bullet "explodes" on impact with the skin and muscle, causing a crater such as this. the bullet usually doesn't even get to the bone.

as i said before, it sure as hell isn't a way i would want to remember any hunt.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I bought the 100 Speer Hot Cor style for the pronghorn hunt this fall. I'll use the 87 TNT for coyotes and such.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That antelope looks suspiciously like it is dead.

I would pick another bullet, but the 87 gr TNT will almost invarialbly kill an antelope when it strikes it in the throax (as will any other bullet of sufficient mass and velocity). The notion that you can kill an animal through inflicting trauma without damaging it is indeed a strange one.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote