New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Shooters sling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a little clip on the outdoor channel a week or so ago and the guy was talking about different shooting positions and he was using a sling that helps to remove weight from your muscles and keep it on your bones or something like that, It had a loop that cinched around his upper arm. I have no idea what the one he was using was called or where I can get one. I would really like something that could help steady me from a sitting or prone position when taking long shots at game. Has anyone here used a similar device and how effective are they. Could you give me some recommendations about where to get one?

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
If the sling had an actual loop that he slipped his arm through, then it was likely a standard issue or copy of the tried & true military sling. You can get the same effect with a Ching Sling that is faster for hunting situations yet accomplishes the same geometric stabilization that the military sling configuration provides.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
As discussions of rifle slings in these forums corroborate, most hunters use "carry straps" instead of "shooting slings." Some hunters use the carry straps for partial shooting support employing the "hasty sling" method.

Among the shooting slings there are basically three categories: match slings, military slings, and so-called speed slings. For hunting purposes we can dispose of the match slings and concentrate on the military slings and speed slings.

The military shooting slings require several actions to use: put a half-twist in the sling; slide the keeper forward to open the loop; insert the support arm into the loop; slide the keeper back tight against the upper arm; and wrap the support arm through the sling.

Of the speed slings, which were specifically intended for hunting use and offer a balance of speed and true shooting support, there are basically three current models: the CW Sling, the original Ching Sling, and the newer Safari Ching Sling. The first two need a middle sling stud just forward of the floorplate or front action screw, whereas the third uses the standard two sling studs. The CW Sling is essentially the same as a Cobra-style carry strap, but with the wide end at the buttstock instead of the forearm.

The CW Sling requires detaching and reattaching the rear sling connection to change from carry to shooting support, whereas the two Ching Slings do not. After moving the attachment on the CW Sling, one inserts the support arm and wraps it in the sling.

The original Ching Sling does away with the attachment repositioning, but still requires wrapping the support arm in the sling, whereas the Safari Ching Sling does not.

The Safari Ching Sling requires no reattachment or wrapping of the arm. One simply pulls the elbow loop up behind the support arm. I should also note that the SCS doesn't constrict blood flow to the support arm, whereas all the other shooting slings do.

The CW Sling and the original Ching Sling are better suited to lightweight carbines, whereas the Safari Ching Sling, being wider and heavier, is more appropriate for heavier rifles, especially big bore dangerous game rifles, hence the name.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eric. I have heard of the Safari Ching Sling but have never used it. I have two of the original Ching slings and love them. Are you the inventer of these Ching devices?

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stinkers:
.... Could you give me some recommendations about where to get one?
Hey Stinkers, Any sling is better than no sling at all.

I prefer a regular old nylon 1" sling that I use with the Hasty Sling Method. Much quicker getting into it than what I have written below and provides a solid shooting position.

Simply stick your left arm between the sling and rifle(for a right handed shooter). Lower your left arm down and bring it around and over the sling as your left hand grips the stock.

You pre-adjust the sling the first time you attach it to the rifle and you can mark that position on the Nylon with a white piece of thread if you desire. The only time you really need to move it is if your physical size requires you to "open" the loop to put the sling over your head while dragging the Game out with the rifle across your back.

No need for ANY adjustments afield and no need for a 3rd sling stud to gouge you in the back. Inexpensive, is the quickest to get into position and just works great.

Military Style slings allow you to get into an even steadier position, but it takes a good bit of effort and time to get them in place.

You can order them from about anywhere, Cabelas, BassPro and of course your local Gun Shop or Wal-Mart.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a website that has movies or pictures that illustrate exactly how to use slings for best results in different shooting positions? Personally I like shoooting from a kneeling/sitting/prone position. I have a hell of a time holding a gun steady while standing, especially for longer distance shots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stinkers, Ask around where you live until you locate a MARINE. He will be able to tell you all about "slings" and can show you in about 4sec how to get into the Hasty Sling. Just have your rifle and sling with you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianbo:
Thanks Eric. I have heard of the Safari Ching Sling but have never used it. I have two of the original Ching slings and love them. Are you the inventer of these Ching devices?

Yes, indeed, and glad to hear that the original Ching Sling works for you.

---
Eric Ching

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the original Ching sling, and it works as advertised. One of the best-kept secrets of military Mausers is that the ones with a sling swivel in the front if the triggerguard are ideal for this sling because this swivel doubles the "wheelbase" of the Ching-pattern sling, making it faster to use. I used an old military sling, and rigged the shooting loop from the front swivel to the one on the guard. Then I added the runner to the rear sling. Add a few bootlaces to hold it together and it's perfect.

Jeff Cooper covers the proper use of the sling in his book The Art of the Rifle. In the first edition, you can see rifles rigged with the Galco sling and as I've described above. When I get home I'll dig mine out and get the pages for you.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Westley Richards sling right now cause I can take it off the gun and fold or roll it up and stuff in a pocket but have always thought that a biathalon (sp?) type sling would be the cat's meow. Especially when climbing. Does anyone know where a guy could obtain one of these? I hunt in the Northwest and it can get pretty hairy sometimes and you just need two hands to get where you need to. Can't stand it when in a hairy predicement and your rifle starts swinging around. Thanks - Pegleg

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I use a Westley Richards sling right now cause I can take it off the gun and fold or roll it up and stuff in a pocket but have always thought that a biathalon (sp?) type sling would be the cat's meow. Especially when climbing. Does anyone know where a guy could obtain one of these? I hunt in the Northwest and it can get pretty hairy sometimes and you just need two hands to get where you need to. Can't stand it when in a hairy predicement and your rifle starts swinging around. Thanks - Pegleg

FYI, the Safari Ching Sling can be used "backpack style" by pulling the inboard strap over your head so that your head is between the two halves of the strap.

---
Eric Ching

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pegleg, Those Biathalon Rifle Toters sure are interesting devices. Do you remember if they even use them when they are shooting Off-hand?

Anyway, you should be able to contact "our NRA" and ask how to get in touch with the US Shooting Team. I feel sure they can put you onto who ever makes them.

Have you tried "Googling" on it?

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I don't think the biathalon sling is used for shooting support, only for carry.

---
Eric Ching

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a brownell's latigo sling (actually I use several as they are fit to the rifle). Part of the sling forms a fixed loop which you use to shoot with. I think they are great - easy to carry with and fast to shoot with. WHen you install the sling, do not cut it until you are satisfied with the fit. The directions were confusing when I bought mine.

Good hunting.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.