Find
Notify
Tools

ultimate sheep hunting rifle!
 Login/Join

<ovis>
posted
Canuck,

Great Ram!!!!!!!!!!!! Any chance there could be an interesting story behind that one????????? Maybe some measurements???????????

A lot of sheep hunters will never see a ram like that much less have a shot at one. That's one fine trophy........Congratulations.

Joe

<Safarischorsch>
posted
I would take the blaser mountain rifle(K95) 8x68S loaded with CDP (196gr) or Partition 200 gr. Combined with swarovski 4-16x50AV

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted sheep. I have been applying in Utah for the last 7 years though. If I ever do draw I will use my 700 in 25-06 .

Canuck Awsome!

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to leave today for a sheep hunt the rifle would be either one of two Weatherby Ultralights either a 257 Wby or 7mm/08.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Tremendous Stone Ram. Looks like at least 44" Congratulations on that one. Being an avid sheep hunter I imagine you enjoy the Gland Slam Club/Ovis magazine. Dennis Campbell does a good job on that quarterly. If your sheep has'nt been in there I guarantee you it should. Maybe there's some others out the that would like to show us there rams as well?

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Now that's one tremendous trophy!!!

I've never ram so I'd love to hear what a ram hunt would entail. What kind of equipment do you use? How do you get to them? How would you get one out?? Again....congrats on the ram!!! I'd have a tendency to believe the guys who can post the proof if it were me!!!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
that's not a ram, that's a HOG!

My current sheep rifle is a M70 Stainless that has verything imagineable done to it , to light'n it up. Lots of machine work etc. It is chambered in 30-338 Win. Mag. Not nessesary to kill sheep but we hunt grizzly at the same time as sheep. Though not very often, the bears come to us. If it were not for bears, I would go with a fast 257 or 6.5.
I do not have the exact weight of my sheep rifle but it is light enough that it is not very practical for any other hunting.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Canuck! Wipe that sheepish grin off your face!

[Wink] Lucky Bastard ...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nickudu, that sheepish grin has been on my face for three years now! And if I never shoot another ram I will still die a lucky bastard!!

Scrappy, your impala luck is like my sheep luck. [Smile]

Keith, I subscribe to everything sheep. I do more sheep hunting in the off season than I do during the season. That ram was the very lucky end result of a lot of hard work. My sheep hunting partner and I invested 100's of hours into research before that particular trip. That ram has been in GSC, on the back cover. Dennis also used the picture for his Ext"ram"aganza ad last year.

Ovis, it is 45 4/8 x 42 4/8 x 13 1/8. It doesn't make book, but comes aweful close. Suits me just fine cuz I never would have entered it anyway. It is extra unique in that it is probably one of the longest rams that never broke 170.

The hunt was great too. 14 days in paradise. It took 3 days to outwit that particular ram, which really added to the experience. I'd love to tell the whole story but I just don't have time tonite.

Thanks for all the congrats guys. I know I am a truly lucky SOB.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That sheep doesn't make the book?!!?! That's it ... no sheep hunting for me. [Wink]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Canuck,

Fine, Fine animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick,

You're not getting any younger!!!!!!!!! [Razz]

Joe

<rws2>
posted
Canuck,
As long as it makes your personal book all the other books are unimportant.Great Ram!!!!
Please when you get some time tell us the whole story.

<JOHAN>
posted
Canuck

I envy you [Wink] ..congratulations

Please tell us more about the rifle and the sheeps.

Now, why hasn't any smart wildlife service clerk inplanted some sheeps and goats to the mountains of Sweden [Mad]

/ JOHAN

<sbhva>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Yardbird:
Did the sheep get bigger and smarter since Jack O'Connor's days? I think not, the hunters have meerly been a bit psyched out by all the magnum hu-bub. O'Connor did it with a .270, he did say there were probably better rifles, but it never failed him, in what he wrote anyway.
Yardbird

And Jack's wife shot everything that Jack did with her 7x57.