Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: Texas deer/hog destination
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I'm looking for recommendations from knowledgeable AR members for an ~affordable Texas destination where I can go perhaps yearly for a management buck (and doe?) and/or for a hog hunt. I'm okay with high fence as long as it's big enough to feel like a 'hunt'. I'd like to take my wife along simply as a companion and she's not into roughing it. Don't need need a five-star lodge; just needs to be clean, private accomadations, with modern bath facilities.

I've gone on two hunts in Texas and both were mediocre at best. I've talked to a lot of outfitters and am suspect of how much 'outfitter happy talk' I'm getting.

I'd like to have a place to go to every year.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
You might try the 501 Ranch near Uvalde if you are wanting nice facilities and a big ranch to hunt. They certainly have big deer but have less expensive options for management deer. Call James Saunders, their ranch manager at 830-900-4501. I hunted there several years ago and took a super buck and really enjoyed the facilities and hunting...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the PM's received, looks like I've found exactly what I am looking for!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m in the same situation as Matt, looking for a father/son hunting opportunity, management buck, spike, or doe. Being a life-long Texan, season leases or day hunts have proven somewhat difficult to find. Please feel free to pm me if anyone has any insight. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All Seasons guide Services, Mike Powell.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Thanks for the PM's received, looks like I've found exactly what I am looking for!

Any chance you'd share the info with me? I have a friend that's looking for that exact type hog hunt. I'll be joining him but this saves me asking the same question. Thank you.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote