THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Alaska Dall sheep hunt starts August 9

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Dall sheep hunt starts August 9
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
Due to a cancellation prompted by stock market conditions an outfitter I know has two Dall sheep hunts available, both starting August 9 and returning August 20.

These two hunts are 10-day Dall sheep hunts in the Yakutat area of Alaska. You fly into Ahchorage on August 9, and take a bush aircraft one and a half hours flight northwest to Fairwell. Return is to Anchorage on August 20.

Price is US$7,500, plus $550 for the bush plane. The regular hunt is $8,700.

Yoiu can expect sheep in the 35" to 38" range. The highest altitude is 6,500 feet, and the terrain is not difficult. My friend reports it is "...a good hunt and a fun hunt". Many hunters from my SCI Chapter have hunted with this outfitter.

You can add caribou, bear (black and grizzly), and wolf (no moose).

Email me for contact details if interested.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
These are two 1X1 hunts which happen to start on the same date. Sorry for the confusion.

The odds on bear, either black or grizzly, are running about 30% to 40%.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
HunterJim,

I'm not sure where Fairwell is located, but anyone who fly's northwest from Anchorage is not going to end up in the Yakutat area.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Perhaps they fly 1.5 hours northwest out of Juneau?

BTW, this is not meant to detract from your fine offer. I hope some lucky hunter takes advantage of this oppurtunity.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Fairwell was described to me as a WWII airstrip that was used for aircraft being ferried west to the Soviets (lend lease). It is 1.5 hours by bush plane out of Anchorage.

Yakutat is the name of the outfit, and I don't know the local names in Alaska at all. The outfitter is in camp as of today, but he can be reached by cell phone.

I posted this as a favor to a friend; I should stick to Africa!

jim dodd