New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most unnecessary gadget??
 Login/Join

<500 AHR>
posted
Controlled round feeding! The push feed works just as well and is much more economical to manufacture and prone to much less functional variation from said manufacturing processes.

In other words, the push feed doesn't need to be worked over by a competent gunsmith after you buy your rifle like the controlled round feed does.

<CritrChik>
posted
Men who are push feed and not controlled round feed [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say GPS, specially the one my hunting partner uses. He goes down the trail creating maps of the same trail he already knows like the palm of his hand.

Controlled-feed rifles need fixing? Not in my case, since my controlled-feed rifle has never been worked by a gun smith. Besides, it has two bolts, one which is of the controlled-feed type, while the other is push-feed. I only use the controlled-feed bolt.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MistWolf>
posted
50 mm objective bell on a scope. Maybe they collect light better, but they set up too high to shoot comfortably

Cobra slings

50 round magazines for a 10/22. And the new 10 rounders that stick out the bottom!

"Folding Style" stocks

Another vote for see thru mounts- especially when used with a "Folding Style" stock

Cheap optics

Best Things I've Taken On A Hunt:
"Heat Factory" heat pads

A good book

My Father

My sons

A good dog

The rifle my Father gave me

A pencil

A journal

one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for ATV's. I'm aware that there are a few handicapped people that could not hunt without them and I'm willing to cut them some slack. But it irritates me to see trailers full of the things with rifle racks and radio antenneas coming into this state every fall.

Any reasonably young healthy person that needs one is just plain too lazy to hunt. Look at the bottom of your legs and you will find feet. Together with your back, those are all that are required for getting into the woods and getting back out again. Nobody today wants to use a packframe, they just seem to want to run around on a noisy contraption running the game all over hell's half acre.

And don't try to tell me that all you use one for is to "get into the country and to pack game out with" either. I see way too many of them off road and running game. They will be the ruination of the sport.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac;I agree with the exception of hunting birds in big open prairie country in the mountains I ride a horse and walk.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A name, designed primarily to inflate ones ego. For instance, Swift, Weatherby, Zeiss, Norma. WAY overrated IMHO. Hunting gear doesnt require a mortgage on ones house to work well.
And a guide, if you cant find it on your own whats the point? I could take no personal pride in a kill that requires no more from myself than the capacity to point a gun and shoot. I can do that at the range.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhunter,

I agree with the last part of your post, but how was the Weatherby name "created" to inflate a hunter's ego. It was Roy's last name. If anything it inflated Roy Weatherby's ego. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
The 280 Remington.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ( [Embarrassed] guilty [Embarrassed] ) optical rangefinder.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
For instance, Swift, Weatherby, Zeiss, Norma. WAY overrated IMHO.

Wstrnhuntr,
Interesting to se Norma there in the company of Zeiss and Weatherby. Here in Sweden, Norma is the boring standard stuff that everybody use. Most people agree that Oryx is a great bullet, but it is still standard and surely not exclusive in any way!

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree with MAC. Those effing ATV's are a excuse for fat,lazy slobs to go to the woods and get "exercise". They are noisy, smelly and they encourage bad hunting habits. Hunting is hunting, riding on your fat ass to find something to kill, ain't hunting.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
How about 16" Bowie knifes
Fuzz

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Battery Operated "ETRONIC" Rifles.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Buchwacker flip up scope covers.

Waste of money.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Remington EtronX rifles!! But how about the new Savage smokeless powder muzzle loader. I mean give me a break and just call it a rifle. Call me stupid but I thought that muzzle loaders are suppose to be traditional.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to second the cell phones.

I heard a story about a year or so ago about some fools that were wandering about the national forest W/o a compass and got lost. They called the local forest ranger on their cell phone to ask where they were apparently they had some notion that the cell phones could be traced like conventional telephones........

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Gerry>
posted
Rockhead

[Embarrassed] I thought the same thing! So I'm not a rocket scientist where scientific things are concerned. Does that make me a bad person? [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
Not sure why people slam Goretex, by and large it has been a boon for the Outdoor industry. Look at the affordable breathable waterproofs and waterproof boots that are now on the market.
Ok, it has its limitations but like some of the other products slammed in this thread, its more the shortcoming of the user rather than the product.

Mac,

During the summer months, its light at around 3:30am and not dark till perhaps 11pm here in the UK. My using a quad to get from the cabin to a hill top where I start stalking saves me 45 minutes hard walking at each end of the day...Lazy? not really bothered what you call it...it means I get just a bit more sleep!

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete E-I have to agree with you about goretex.I have been wearing goretex pants,jackets, boots and gloves for 12 years or so with no complaints at all.It blocks wind well and has kept me dry even in heavy downpours.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Longbob and Marterius,

I just threw a couple names out to illustrate a point, fact is I like Weatherby rifles but my thinking was that it seems obvious that their loads were designed in an attempt to one better the next guy. Not a real practical nessesity IMO.

I used Norma in reference to those who would rather pay for imported brass than a more reasonable buy. My bad but I think my intention was made apparent. [Wink]

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhunter,

Agreed. Weatherby's are not bad rifles. It's just unfortunate that the Hollywood crowd adopted them as their rifle of choice. I think this is what has caused a stigma in the minds of a lot of us "regular" hunters and riflemen. I have a Weatherby Ultralite 270 Win. Mag. that is my go-to Whitetail rifle. I love that rifle! I have a few other Weatherby's, but none stick out so far (I'm working on their loads).

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ngrumba:
Battery Operated "ETRONIC" Rifles.

What is that?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in my college days when I was neither fat nor lazy....however still mighty stupid...I attempted to hunt deer from a "trail bike." I put my rifle across me with my sling and off I went up the mountain. I went about 400 yards before I had enough of that and by the time I rode it back down to the truck, my back was beaten literally black and blue by the trigger guard. I had a bruise and swollen place over my spine that tooks months to go away. Every bump was like someone was following me and hitting me with a bat every other step.

After that I walked. The damn thing DID help us get a deer out of a canyon bottom once. But we never took it again.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:

I used Norma in reference to those who would rather pay for imported brass than a more reasonable buy. My bad but I think my intention was made apparent. [Wink]

My comment was only about the difference between America and Sweden; here Norma is the reasonable buy and Federal is the imported brass! Not that Norma is cheap, but... well, I guess my intention is apparant as well! [Smile]

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I am amazed that people would prefer a wax cotton barbour coat over goretex! You need to do a few British winters!!

Regarding the cell phone thing I have news for those of you who think you position cannot be traced by your mobile phone. Using standard 2G technology - providing the phone is switched on your mobile phone company knows exactly where your phone is down to the location of the nearest mobile phone “relay” site and you do not even need to be making a call!!

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
The 280 Remington.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know this thread was coming, and my record-keeping 30 years ago was even worse than it is now, but it appears to me that Norma brass in 6mm Rem is MUCH better than Rem. Don't know about Winchester, but I'll find out eventually, since somone gave me quite a bit of Rem and Win both.

Norma is not just a name.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My vote goes for ATV's. I'm aware that there are a few handicapped people that could not hunt without them and I'm willing to cut them some slack. But it irritates me to see trailers full of the things with rifle racks and radio antenneas coming into this state every fall.
Mac: I will agree with your comments about ATV's, but only in relation to ATV use in the "lower-48." To reach the hunting grounds in Alaska is accomplished by using aircraft, boats, snowmobiles, and ATV's.

In my case, I park my truck near the road and reach my campsite by riding an ATV 8 miles on a muddy trail. Some other hunters travel over 15 miles on the ATV trail to reach their campsite. There is approximately 400 pounds of gear and tents in my campsite, which I must bring back to the truck by the second week of hunting. If I kill a moose 8 to 10 miles from my truck and I didn't have an ATV, it would take me approximately 12 round trips of non-stop hiking to pack it out. By then I would probably be dead from a heart attack, or the meat would be spoiling.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray, Alaska:
[QUOTE]Mac: I will agree with your comments about ATV's, but only in relation to ATV use in the "lower-48." To reach the hunting grounds in Alaska is accomplished by using aircraft, boats, snowmobiles, and ATV's.

In my case, I park my truck near the road and reach my campsite by riding an ATV 8 miles on a muddy trail. Some other hunters travel over 15 miles on the ATV trail to reach their campsite. There is approximately 400 pounds of gear and tents in my campsite, which I must bring back to the truck by the second week of hunting. If I kill a moose 8 to 10 miles from my truck and I didn't have an ATV, it would take me approximately 12 round trips of non-stop hiking to pack it out. By then I would probably be dead from a heart attack, or the meat would be spoiling.

What, and hunters in the lower 48 are all supposed to stay in Good Sam parks and do their hunting on foot while you guys live like real Americans should?

Hippocrite...!

I agree that the back country has become innodated with ATVs which sucks, but I dont agree that only a few select individuals should have all the fun. That would suck even worse.

As far as Im concerned PITA, treehuggers and D.C. Beaurocrats are all the same.

I think that the number of idiots trying to kill animals at ungodly ranges with "Super Killer" rifles and no real understanding of terminal ballistics is just as big a problem as hordes of ATVs. And its getting worse!

We should make them all use 30-30s [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
BBBruce, in respose to your question, the ETRONIC rifle is a gimmic Remington developed that uses an electronic primer and a battery in the gun to fire the round. They are available in 700 model rifles in limited calibers. They claim much faster lock time as there is not a firing pin, so accuracy is supposed to be enhanced. That's about the scope of my knowledge on the subject.

back to topic:
I agree with a lot of what you guys posted, but,

Deer decoys are cool, in archery hunting specifically. My buddy is an amateur wildlife photographer and loves to film his decoys getting smashed and beaten up by rutting bucks! Cool videos! He also wears scent blockers and has had deer 2 feet from him on the ground. I've seen the shot.

I wholeheartedly agree that ATV's are the ruination of the sport. They should be limited to packing gear in and game out, or for the handicapped ONLY. Not for fools to ride around on looking for something to shoot.

The most useless tool is a good rifle with a cheap scope.

[ 09-06-2002, 05:56: Message edited by: Red Label ]

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
What about fools who ride around on horses looking for something to shoot? Is that also considered road hunting or is that different because the green guys dont require them to use a road?

I dont own a 4 wheeler and never have, Ive hiked my ass off looking for game but what I want to know is one form of riding while hunting damnation to the sport but another not because one ride eats hay and the other gasoline?

Riding while hunting is riding while hunting in my book and its the guys with horses that spawned the idea of ATVs in the first place.

Lets make them ALL walk and use 30-30s!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Western,

Horses don't make noise like ATV's. Horses don't spook game. Horses don't contaminate the ground when you spill their fuel all over the trails.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CAMOFLAGE FINISH ON wristwatch bands,tshirts,underwear,riflescopes,binoculars,backpacks,knife handles,radios,boots, etc. ad naseum

But I agree that nothings says "I don't know crap about guns" like see thru scope mounts on a 30-06 autoloader.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red Label:
[QB]
Deer decoys are cool, in archery hunting specifically. My buddy is an amateur wildlife photographer and loves to film his decoys getting smashed and beaten up by rutting bucks!
QB]

Then I humbly must admit that while you talk out of experience, I talk out of ignorance...
But they still look damn silly in the catalogue! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Red Label:
[QB]
I wholeheartedly agree that ATV's are the ruination of the sport. They should be limited to packing gear in and game out, or for the handicapped ONLY. Not for fools to ride around on looking for something to shoot.
QB]

Using a ATV for looking for something to shoot here in Sweden would make you loose all your licenes. But they are much used for bringing moose out of the forests.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marterius:
[QB
Using a ATV for looking for something to shoot here in Sweden would make you loose all your licenes. But they are much used for bringing moose out of the forests. [/QB]

True, but when the man with the dog comes on the radio and says that his dog has bayed a moose which has now run 2km to the North and appears to be standing have you never 'run very fast' [Wink]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted
Another vote for the See thraugh scope mounts

weidmannsheil martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr : Perhaps I should have explained in my previous response the reasons why ATV's are so necessary in Alaska. But an easy way to understand some of the differences between the lower-48 and Alaska is by placing an Alaska map next to any State map next to each other (both of the same scale). This place in huge, and we don't have many roads. Some villages are reached by boat or aircraft, or by traveling on the ice when the rivers freeze during the winter. We use ATV's on the hunting trails to reach the campsites, transport game meat and equipment.

But we also have hunting areas where ATV's are only allowed on designated trails, while other areas only non-motorized modes of transportation are allowed . To brake the law means that one can easily lose the ATV, motorized canoe or boat, guns, and even the truck parked on the road to F&G. It is very easy to lose your Aircraft to the State when hunting regulations are not followed. It all means that hunters who want to use ATV's can hunt in grounds where ATV's are allowed, and also that backpack or horse hunters can hunt away from ATV hunters if they choose to do so.

I understand that lots of people in the lower-48 are having problems with ATV's, and I agree with their reasons for not wanting them. They simply don't have enough room to have ATV's running around scaring game.

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
quote:
Originally posted by Marterius:
[QB
Using a ATV for looking for something to shoot here in Sweden would make you loose all your licenes. But they are much used for bringing moose out of the forests.

True, but when the man with the dog comes on the radio and says that his dog has bayed a moose which has now run 2km to the North and appears to be standing have you never 'run very fast' [Wink] [/QB]
Either you are in company with the dog-guy and are then allowed to advance against the bayed moose, or you are on your stand and are totally forbidden to leave until the hunt is over... But you need to be fit hunting with a baying dog!

Anyone using an ATV to get closer to a bayed moose would be thrown out from all the hunts I know of. The only exception is transporting hunters out to new stands in order to find an already wounded animal tracked by a dog, but then you have to use the roads. It is lillegal to transport a gun on any vehicle off road.

posted Hide Post
What alot of you folks forget is that to many people riding an ATV is fun in itself and to them its part of the adventure of the "hunt". Yes I can see how they cause problems, but its a lack of consideration by the rider rather than the ATV itself...ATV's are no more bad or good than guns are bad or good, they are both simply tools to be used or abused by their respective owners.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote