tough moose - update
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I think I counted 7 hits that all looked good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6uU62CsdYc

Question for you all...

Would you have attempted a shoot through the tree after the first hit?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the John Nosler's story about why he invented the partition. A tough moose and a 300 H&H magnum with cup and cores inspired him.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
yes, i would have shot through the tree. what do you have to loose at that point?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
724wd,

( think I would have too. I was thinking light branched spruce, I already have a good hit in him. Now I just want to do damage., I may get some deflection but I will still get a hit...

I was also thinking...I would consider trying to break that hip that I could see...but I don't know if that is a good idea.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I did some significant meat damage on a moose one time taking some bad shots in an effort to stop him, so in this case I might have waited like the fellows in the video did.

The hunters were fairly close to the bull I think, so velocity at the target might still be high? I don't think I'd of shot him in the butt in this case. I fear for that bulls front right quarter, looks like several raking shots to me.

My preference is to keep shooting until he folds, I'd say generally I'd think I'd of handled it like they did.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What in the world was the guy shooting to need that many to put the bull down? One or two good bonded bullets into the lungs should have dropped that bull at that distance!

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
What in the world was the guy shooting to need that many to put the bull down? One or two good bonded bullets into the lungs should have dropped that bull at that distance!

Not really my experience.

I'm thinking the biggest reason that bull stayed on his feet as long as he did was the hormones in his system at that moment. That bull was in fight mode. Grunting as loud and fast as he was, coming to the call as fast as he was,.... that bull wasn't curious or a little upset, his blood was boiling and ready to fend off a bull competing for the cow(s) that we could see in the background of the video.

I used a 7x57 with good 175g bullets on a nice bull one year. I think I shot him at fairly close range 5 times or so. I had good shots thru the vitals, good penetration and bullet performance, but it just wasn't enough thump to roll him over. Felt more like using a bow and arrow I think. The bull did expire nicely, no meat loss and a fairly nice pack back to camp, but I've not used the 7x57 again.

I thought several of the follow up shots in the video were bad angle, quartering away raking shots thru the shoulder. I'd of taken them all personally, but I don't know it did much more than ruin hamburger.

I wouldn't have any problem taking a person hunting that used one of the smaller 30 cal rifles or even a 270 win, I'd simply advise them to keep shooting, loading and shooting some more 'til he tips over. 130 or 150g bullets don't have the thump a 300g bullet does on moose.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
maybe he was shooting a 30-06...LoL

I put three shots thru the ribs just behind the shoulder of a broadside cow elk once with a 150 grn 270 at under a 150 yards...vaporized the lungs and I thought I was out of ammo. Must a stood there for 90 seconds not moving till I remembered some ammo in a pouch on the sling. Fourth one finally did it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
maybe he was shooting a 30-06...LoL

I put three shots thru the ribs just behind the shoulder of a broadside cow elk once with a 150 grn 270 at under a 150 yards...vaporized the lungs and I thought I was out of ammo. Must a stood there for 90 seconds not moving till I remembered some ammo in a pouch on the sling. Fourth one finally did it.

Smarty, LOL! Yea, he wasn't going anywhere, but I'm sure being rut crazed probably had something to do with it like was mentioned. Also, it did look like several shots were raking ones that may not have gone into the vitals good. It's like a bull elk in that if they don't go down and stay down the wise choice is to give him another until he knows you mean business!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my bull moose with a 300 Win Mag and 180gr Hornady spire point cup/core w/o much issue at all. Just learned how to handload too. First shot thru the boiler at 40 yards and the final one a few seconds later at 25 yards in the same place and it was over right then and there. Bull on the ground dead. I recovered one of the bullets (one was full penetration) and it retained 58% of it's weight...a perfect mushroom, just what it was supposed to be. I still have that bullet on my loading bench, after 22 years. I don't think super premium bullets are absolutely mandatory, except maybe for the big bears. I do think bullet caliber and weight matter though, and with large game like moose it starts at 30 caliber w/ 180+ bullets. I believe the hunter in this video did rush the shots after the first two and most of them were marginal hits. He should have just waited for a better angle since the moose was not really going far or fast.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You can't tell from the video what the actual damage that was done on each shot.

I think placement was quite good on each shot. The only thing we know is that there were 7 hits all striking on an external spot on the body that appears to be good placement.

What the actual angle of penetration is we don't know know. All's we know is that this bull didn't fall down right away.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
I continue to shoot until the animal falls down. Elk, deer, whatever, i want them on the ground, not standing where they could start running or moving off at any time.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
After the first shot, I keep shooting until either the target is down or out of sight regardless of size. Bullets are cheap and I'm not sparing any ammo.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some of the shots looked to me as though they were high in the ribcage, but below the spine. others in the shoulder. neither of those areas is as good as the spine, or the neck, which appeared very visible in the video. I wonder why the shooter did not shoot at the neck?

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I would have waited for the second shot just as they did; then I would have just waited. Scott has this right - that bull was wound up pretty tight. In fact, I think I would have brought him in to 20yds or so before shooting.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
some of the shots looked to me as though they were high in the ribcage, but below the spine. others in the shoulder. neither of those areas is as good as the spine, or the neck, which appeared very visible in the video. I wonder why the shooter did not shoot at the neck?

Yes, at least one of the hits was far back on the rib cage. What happens is that the hunter sets the crosshairs on the right spot, and by the time he touches the trigger the animal has moved forward 2 or more feet. It's also possible that this specific shot is the entrance hole when the moose was starting to move away near the last shots.

Anyway, I use a .338WM with a 225-grain TSX right through the lungs. At that distance the bullet is a little hight, so I aim a little low if possible on the first shot. But sometimes the brush does not allow for a low shot.

I saw a GI shooting a moose through the lungs with his .300WM from about 150 yards. He hit it five times and the moose took all the shots standing on the spot and then dropped.

I have shot several moose through the lungs/heart area from 75 to 200 yards with one shot each. The biggest one I ever killed walked about 25 yards. I shot it twice, but the fist shot was the one that killed it.

And no, I would not shoot through the branches shown on the video. I only did that one time at the beginning of my hunting years, and lost that moose. I was inexperienced, and later learned that you give the moose a few seconds or minutes and it is going to walk away from the tree. While you wait looking through the scope and ready to shoot, don't move nor make noise. Just concentrate on your breathing, aiming, and trigger control.

Also, I don't take neck nor brain shots. The lungs/heart area of a moose is huge. Besides at 50 yards the bullet is going to hit high if you are used to sight the rifle to hit about an inch or two high at 100 yards for a 200-yard bullseye.
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ind...fm?adfg=hunting.shot

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I think I would have done just like the hunter did...keep putting the best shot I could into the Boiler Room.

Wouldn't have risked a neck shot. I know if I destroy the lungs the animal won't go far.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I exchanged emails with outfitter...he said all 7 hits were good into the vitals and penetrated.

The bull was just in a fightin mood and didn't want to go down.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a Moose at that distance? the rifle I'd love to have in my hands in that situation is my 1895 Marlin with one of my hotter handloads with a Barnes 400gr "Original"

Not quite sure what my second choice would be, but I could do worse than my Remington 870 Express with it's Hastings barrel
and a full tube of Winchester Extreme Sabot Slugs

On one notable occasion I shot through two whitetails with a tree between them and I still didn't recover the slug.

I'm pretty sure that having a couple >50cal exit holes in a moose would go a long way towards convincing him to spending the winter in my freezer.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Would you have attempted a shoot through the tree after the first hit?

Yup. Remember that Wood Bison a few years ago? First shot broke both his shoulders so he wasn't going anywhere....but then it took five or six more shots into the vitals before he tipped over. He was in the open and stayed there, but I would not have let a tree or two stop me from dropping another 400 grainer into him at that range. Recall, I also left a good bit of ammo back on the ski-doo on that stalk so had to use the guide's .338 on the last shot. Smiler Given the slight quartering away position of this moose it also looked like one or two of the shots were a bit forward (and a touch high) of where I might have placed them but generally they looked just fine.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I think the guy did the 100% right thing, but I also think the bull was dead on his feet at the first shot. I believe in putting more bullets in anything standing, but I have seen moose react like that on a number of occasions, and they have always been mortally hit with the first shot when they do. Generally if you hit them poorly, they run...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose have a funny constitution and sometime don't react to a hit, even a fatal one. I believe in shooting till they hit the ground anyway.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot more than my fair share of Alaskan moose and between me and my buddies I can only remember two that dropped in their tracks.
One was about a 50 incher I shot with my 375 H&H at about 40 yards away. Hit it a little to far back and punched the liver and he dropped like a sack of potatoes. Walked up and then hit it in the lungs and he was dead in about 30 seconds.
The second was a small bull my friend was hunting. Moose was standing in some swampy area and I tried to tell him to wait. But he said, don't worry will hit him high in the lungs and he will walk out of the water. His "high in the lungs" turned out to be a spine shot. You don't ever want to quarter and bone out a moose in 18 inches of water.

Moose: Easy to kill but hard to drop in their tracks.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend had gone to get a moose with two others .Each wanting to get a moose . My friend made a good hit on one but before it died walked a short distance and died in 36" of cold water.
After a huge cold effort they processed the moose but interest in doing two more then disappeared ! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Moose hunting is certainly the appropriate time for calm, cool, sensible thinking and questioning.

How far am I from camp? How fit is my partner? What time is it? What's the weather looking like this morning? Where is that river in relation to where I am right now? To make matters even more complicated, assessing and questioning the situation while your shooting the moose is appropriate too. "Oh shit, he's wobbling right there on the edge of the river, should I hit him again??!?!?!?!?!" Well maybe. If you let him wobble and fold there on the bank, it may be the easiest butchering and packing job you've ever had if you can pull the boat right up to him on the beach. On the other hand, if he tips into the water either before or after you shoot,.......well if its at a cut bank, maybe he'll get stuck in a sweeper down river and that'd be really cool!

The Dude once said very wisely, "Just take it easy Man!" Think about where your shooting, how your shooting, why, if, what,....... Imagine your displeasure at shooting a fine bull, having a miserable experience butchering in some horrible circumstances like bad weather, under water or bad bugs, having to leave the carcass and antlers in the field over night and return the next morning to find your tagged beast acquired by an irritable sow bear and cubs!

Now who's irritable?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 45-70 with a flatnosed cast bullet at 480 grains and 1300 fps would have done the trick very nicely and in short order. An 1895 Marlin is never a bad choice for moose.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
A 45-70 with a flatnosed cast bullet at 480 grains and 1300 fps would have done the trick very nicely and in short order. An 1895 Marlin is never a bad choice for moose.

A 480g non expanding projectile at 1300fps might as well be an arrow from a compound bow. Works to be sure, but nothing I'd recommend.

I'd also not recommend the shotgun with slugs mentioned earlier. Again, slow fps, minimal expansion and in some cases not a lot of penetration.

My preference is for 30 cal and larger, 200g and heavier, and something more than 2000fps. I like and I mean I really like Barnes TSX and have bullets recovered from moose that have expanded nearly double in dia. Somewhere around here I have a note I made that listed the TSX's by original dia. and after recovery that reads something like ".336-.500, .375- .700, .458- .900,...." something like that. I wouldn't say a 300g .375 TSX would have made an ounce of difference for the better to the bull in the video,....but it wouldn't have made it worse.

Around here, the .270, .223, 7mm's, and even 25-20's have taken lots of moose. I'm comfortable with all of them and would happily take someone using any of the aforementioned as well as a bow- moose hunting. Lets have a full understanding of the limitations of maybe less than ideal moose hunting cartridges before we leave.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
sharpsguy,

Are you suggesting that 1 45-70 as you described in the same spot as the first hit with whatever he was using...let's just say a 30-06...would have dropped it faster than the 7 from the 30-06?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike--Based on what I have seen from that loads' performance on a half dozen bison I have taken here in North America, and on two zebra, several kudu,and black and blue wildebeast in Africa, absolutely. I have a friend in upper New York state that shot a bull moose in Newfoundland several years ago with a 500 grain lead paper patched bullet at 1350 fps out of his original 45-110 Sharps. The moose went straight down from about 75 yards. The guide said that he had never seen anything like it. 480 to 500 grains from a 45 caliber rifle at 1300 fps is a hammer on the bigger animals.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
Mike--Based on what I have seen from that loads' performance on a half dozen bison I have taken here in North America, and on two zebra, several kudu,and black and blue wildebeast in Africa, absolutely. I have a friend in upper New York state that shot a bull moose in Newfoundland several years ago with a 500 grain lead paper patched bullet at 1350 fps out of his original 45-110 Sharps. The moose went straight down from about 75 yards. The guide said that he had never seen anything like it. 480 to 500 grains from a 45 caliber rifle at 1300 fps is a hammer on the bigger animals.

I have shot two moose that were broadside to me eating birch leaves, perhaps 200 yards out, and both dropped on the spot with one shot each. The first one was shot with a .338-caliber 230-grain Lubalox-coated FS. The other moose dropped to a 250-grain A-frame. When the bullet hit the moose lost balance and landed on its side. I have shot other moose with one shot each, but these took a few seconds to drop. I have seen a video of a moose being shot twice through the lungs with a .416 rifle before dropping. On the first hit the moose turned in the opposite direction and took a few steps; that's when the second bullet hit and dropped it.

That said, I have seen one-shot drop dead done with a .30-06 and 180-grain NOS Smiler

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote