New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-06/35 Whelen for Lg. Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the 338-06 or the 35 whelen enough gun for hunting the largest bear in North America
and Alaska?

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF you stay under 100 yards, and put the first shot where it belongs, AND use the correct bullets, the Bear should soon be dead.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
I have read that Chub Eastman of Nosler shot a very large griz with a 338-06, and have read of several large bears taken with a 35 Whelen. I have a Whelen improved, and I think I would trust it for hunting bears, but I would likely go with something larger. If it has a chance to get me, I want to hit it with as much as I can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with the .338-06 and though I really like it for elk, deer and plains game........if it can bite back I would go with a .375 or one of the .338 mags myself. My first thought s are that it would work if all goes well, its the "all goes well" thats the bugger. Nice to have an insurance policy like a .375 H&H.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote