New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 12x40x60mm - HD or standard
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I looked through the standard Leupold (they did not have any HD's) in 12x40 and 15x30, a Nikon 60mm as well as a Swarovski 15(?)x60x65mm. I only looked through them in a large sportsman's warehouse. The Swaro was a bit brighter for sure and the little Leupold a bit darker. The 12x40 seemed about right for the price.

Has anyone seen a difference between the HD and standard Leupold in 12x40? The sales guy said he's had a large number of people look through the two and none have been able to see a difference. He said the biggest difference would be if you were going to attach a camera.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Parshal, What does the "HD" stand for?

I have a good many Leupolds with "HEAVY Duplex" Reticles. And I have sent some back that had the Standard Duplex Reticle so the fine folks at Leupold could change them to the HEAVY Duplex Reticle style.

Where it comes in handy is in "Low Light" conditions. That can be from an early or late hunt under dark clouds.

Or it can depend on your Legal shooting hours. Some of the places I hunt allow Legal hours from one hour prior to official sunrise until one hour past official sunset. When hunting there, the "Prime Time" for deer movement is normally when it is too dark to be able to see the Standard Duplex Reticle. This is where the HEAVY Duplex is worth having.

If you can't see the Reticle, you sure can't place an accurate shot.
---

If you are anticipating taking long distance shots, say over 400yds, then there are better Reticles than the HEAVY Duplex. But for inside 400yds, they really work well.
---

You would not attach a Camera to the scopes I'm describing above. So, it sounds like you are talking about a Spotting Scope. If that is the situation, I don't know what "HD" stands for in those Models.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HD is for High Definition..

I've looked through both and owned a standard model a few years back. It's around the fringes of the field of view were the greatest difference is. The overall image is crisper to my eyes as well.
Though for the price difference that comes with upgrading to the HD model I would start looking at the compact Euro glass which is decidely superior for the price difference.

That said, the Leupy is still a fine spotting scope in its niche.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you David for the clarification. I had no idea Leupold was making various Grades of Spotting Scopes. Guess I need a new catalog.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote