Find
Notify
Tools

Alberta - wmu 512
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks.

Anyone with knowledge of WMU 512?? Looking at hunting the area for Moose. Know that House River fire gave a good burnoff last June - Rightly or wrongly - Im guessing that the area should be showing quite a bit of regeneration by now. Any info or thoughts?

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in fort mcmurray which is just north of this wmu.Moose populations are quite low in this area due to easy access by hunters and many animals being killed by poachers and natives.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Frown]

Thanks StubbleJumper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bugger aye? what is the trophy quality like from that area?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The trophy quality is poor because few bulls get to live to maturity.If you want a larger bull in alberta try flying in to one of the remote lakes only accessable by air.If you really want a big bull your odds are much better in northern B.C.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian. If you're going to be hunting in 512, the east side of it will probably be a better bet. As SJ states, anything accessible from the Ft. Mac highway has had the bejesus shot out of it. West of Conklin towards Thornbury Lake used to be a good place for moose, but I haven't been there for a few years now. As for moose size, the last good moose I saw out of this area had 56" spread, but that was in '94, today, who knows? Good luck. Oh, and did you get my email? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan - many thanks - No - not received - please send again

ifarrington@hotmail.com

Please mark subject as Moose - my spam filter is sometimes a little enthusiastic! [Smile]

Thanks for the info.

Rgds Ian [Smile]

[ 06-03-2003, 00:44: Message edited by: IanF ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian, check your PM's. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote