New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books on North American Big Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a good book that will give an overview of all the main species of huntable big game in North America including Alaska. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe 'Fair Chase in North America' by Craig Boddington is the book you're looking for.

Posts: 36 | Location: lubbock,texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's another book by J. Jones (I think) called 'One Man, One Land, One Rifle" where the author hunts all huntable NA big game animals with one rifle (a .30-06). I could be wrong, but someone will correct me if I am, I'm sure. Big Grin

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of those books are excellent. I would add Jack O'Connor's "The Big Game Animals of North America".

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I've got the Jones' book too, and I think it really sums up quite a lot of information. Since I've never hunted North America, I can never say really how good the information are, but Jones supposed to be knowlegdble..

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen, I have ordered a copy of Craig Boddingtons book in hardback, like Anders I have never hunted North America but intend to in the future.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would add Jack O'Connor's "The Big Game Animals of North America".

abolutely! also, o'connor's "the art of hunting big game in north america" gives a good rundown on game species as well as some of the best information on hunting them i've ever seen.

everything that has come since this book is simply some guy trying to make a buck, as far as i am concerned; but don't take my word for it, get the book and see for yourself.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote