Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady interlock report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I shot a nice buck on Sunday with my 300 win mag with 150gr hornady interlocks loaded down to 2299 ft lbs at 200 yards. The interlock went clear through taking out both lungs at 157 paces. It seemed to expand well as the exit hole was good sized with out being excesive. The buck ran about 50 yards and expired. I was happy. I will post the actual load later as I have forgotten it and I am not at home.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the 150 interlocks in my .308win, it's my favorite bullet for this cartridge.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<hkr>
posted
Used 140gr innerlock last year in factory Light Magnum 270 loads. Shot a whitetail doe and an axis doe in Texas, and a 9 point whitetail buck in West Virginia (yes, had to come home to find a good buck). The two whitetails never took a step. The Axis ran about 40 yards. Dont know why, it was hit as good as the others. When I choose to take my 270 deer hunting this year the Innerlock will be with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 300 Win with 180 Gr. Interlock to take a medium size buck. The bullet took out both lungs with a fist sized hole on the opposite side with lung hanging out. Shot was about 150 yds.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How's your accuracy with the Hornady's? I've always thought of them as having excellent terminal performance, but haven't had much luck through the years with them accuracy-wise. I blame that in part on the cannelure, which I don't think promotes accuracy, and I've never felt that the secant ogive was as aerodynamic as a smooth radius ogive (but that is probably splitting hairs). At any rate, if you have some accuracy hints for Hornady's, I'd be interested.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I shot several animals last year in Zim with the 270 Hornady Interlock from a .376 Steyr. Most of the shots on deer-sized animals exited. The two bullets I recovered showed OK weight retention (in the 70s%).

I didn't check any accuracy past 100 yards at the range, but what I did check was good.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
When I sighted in with these handloads a few weeks before season I was geting .75" groups at a hundred yards. (resting over a barrel and coat) The shot hit right where I aimed on this deer and he was 157 steps from the blind. I guess it depends on what you consider accurate but this seems to work for me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Horseman: I call .75 resting over a wadded up coat good accuracy.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, I have two different 7mm-08's that love the 139g Hornady. I am talking .375" and under for 3 shots from the bench.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot, here is the load I shot
Win Brass
Win LR primer
68.2 grains of IMR 4831
150gr Hornady Interlock

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only get MOA with Hornadys in my .358 and my 30-30.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<graff>
posted
horhady interlocks are the hunting bullets that my rifles like best accuracywise(308 win and 7x57). I always use 175 gr. for the 7x57 - it performs a little but consistently better on game than the 308 with either 150 or 180 gr.

<Gunnerdog>
posted
I have used 190 grain Hornadys in my .300 Win Mag Sendero for several years. Using IMR 7828 powder, I have been able to get .91" five shot groups at 200 meters.

Performance on game has also been very good. Longest shot taken to date has been 350 yards. That shot was at a doe, taken from the prone position on a Harris bipod. Bullet exited after ripping out the lungs. The deer ran about 25 yards before expiring.

Used the same load to take a nice 4x4 this past weekend. Of course, at 35 yards, the neck shot was quite effective [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just mounted a scope on a friends Savage 116 300winmag. I load for myself with Hornady bullets, but he does'nt and he's going deer hunting next week. All he can get locally is Remington 150gr. core-lockts, What can he expect using these rounds guys?

<heavy varmint>
posted
Use caution with the 150 grain CoreLocks at 300 mag. velocities especialy at close range. A friend has taken two deer with them and I have taken one, all from 300 Winmag. from 50 to 120 yards. None of the three deer took required a follow up shot though no bullet exited and all exploded like a varmint bullet, one hit a rib on the way in and left around a 3"x3" entrance wound. All shots were broadside behind the shoulder and after seeing the results that would be the only shot I would take with these bullets in this caliber. Still do not expect an exit hole.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I switched to Hornady's in my 270 after I lost deer #2 using Ballistic Tips. I lost a little in accuracy compared to the BT, but made up for it in confidence.

The BT's were exploding on close contact shots. The Hornady's blow right throw leaving excellent wound channels. For the money, they are a great choice.

Posts: 64 | Location: Bham, Al | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote