Find
Notify
Tools

Musk Ox??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone here ever hunted Musk Ox??

I was thinking about it and am curious about the experiences of others hunting this species. I think this might be one of the most unusual trophies one could take in North America and lots of people overlook it. Any opinions?

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went along with some native friends of mine when I worked in the territories, years ago. It was interesting. We skidoo'ed out of town onto the tundra, it took about four hours. Once they found the herd, they just turned the snowmobiles sideways about a hundred yards away, maybe a little less, and started shooting with whatever rifles they had. 222's, 30-30's, 303's. After about twenty shots, two of the muskox went to their knees. We then made tea over a little gas stove, and waited about an hour. After about an hour, the lead hunters walked over to the muskox to make sure they were dead. When they called and waved, everyone went over and the jumping and shouting and clapping began. We found another muskox about two miles away, it had been wounded and went with the herd until it bled out. There were other blood trails, but no more muskoxen. It was a very interesting thing to see, and I was glad to have been invited. They certainly don't hunt the way we do, it's not sport for them. The other thing I noticed, once the muskox were down, is that there is so much hair on them, they look much bigger then they really are. It is an interesting trophy though, adn while they aren't that hard to kill, they are that hard to get to. Plus, if you go in the winter, man you've never seen cold like the slope down to the Arctic ocean. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohntheGreek, if you go make sure you fill us all in on the details. I have been thinking about hunting musk oxen as well.

Casey

<ovis>
posted
JtG,

I've not done the hunt myself, but,from talking to a couple of hunters from up here who have, I think getting all your ducks in a row is more difficut then the hunt. Once you're there, if the weather isn't too bad, you usually don't have a problem with locating the animals and it's a relatively easy hunt from there.

I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone's trophy by saying the above because I have no personal experience with the hunt. It sure would be a neat trophy to have.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never done it or seen it done but guys say the weather and accessing the animals is the hardest part. Occasionally, a hunter will get hammered by one but it's always due to a big mistake by the hunter.

I'll do it one of these days. It would be neat to see them circle around and surround the downed animal. Beautiful coats (quivut is the term I think). Interesting fact is that the inner hair is made into clothing and judging by the prices...this wool is worth more than silver by weight.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never really thought it would be a difficult hunt . . . just damn interesting I think. The weather alone might make it worthwhile. I am tentatively talking to Gary Strasser of Northwoods adventures about going in December. [Big Grin]

dan,

Interesting story. Sad but interesting.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
John, I bet musk ox is a great hunt. I will do them someday and take my bow. I hear March is a good time to go too. The hide they sport looks like a great bedspread to me! [Big Grin] The Cabelas store here in Michigan has a herd of them being harassed by wolves on the taxidermy mountain. It's definitly an interesting looking animal.

BTW- I looked at your black and white safari photos on your web page and thought they looked very nice. Gave it a classic safari look!

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunted Musk Ox in August/September this year on Banks Island in the NWT. Not the smartest, or most challeneging, animal I ever hunted. But the experience of being in the Arctic- during fair weather-was an adventure and enjoyable time. Not expensive. If you have questions please email me and I will be happy to respond.

Posts: 17 | Location: Littleton,CO | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

You might want to consider that the days will be very short in Dec. particularly in the far northern areas that you find muskox. Someone else suggested Mar. I know that here where I live Mar. is a wonderful month for a snowmachine hunt. The days are very long and the temperatures have moderated a great deal from Dec. Just a thought.

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I actually had considered that. I am, for better or worse, required by my university contract to be on campus and keep office hours until a particular date in December and can't really get away while classes are in session (like March). I am new to my current University and am trying not to rock the boat. [Big Grin]

While finishing my degree last year, I bolted for two weeks in November to go hunting . . . I had friends cover the classes I was teaching for me but the chair of my department was not amused.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek