New
Find
Notify
Tools

The daughter is 7-0!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My daughter informed me on Saturday that her first ever pronghorn makes seven big game animals killed with her .300 Savage in just three years. She killed six Oklahoma white tails with it the last two seasons and a pronghorn this year. Now its is off to see if we can get a her first muzzle loader mule deer next Saturday.

She had it pretty easy Ted Thorn, Graybird, and Snellstrom had already found her this buck when we pulled up to meet them. He was pretty oblivious to anything going on and obviously hadn't seen any hunting pressure yet that opening morning. We were able to get in front of him for a 150 yard chip shot my daughter took off of shooting sticks. My daughter's hunt for pronghorn was over less than an hour and a half after we left the house that morning.

Ted, Snell, and Gray are going to try and help me make her 8-0 on big game with her .300 Savage when I take her up to chase cow elk this third season. She'll be looking at 11-0 if the Oklahoma deer hunt and her elk hunt goes as she plans.

One thing this pronghorn hunt has taught me is since I shattered my leg, I can't move as fast as I'd like to get into position on animals. I'm going to have to work a lot smarter to get on game for both my daughter and myself. I'm just blessed to have good friends in Ted, Gray, and Snell to help me and my daughter out. However, she's only 13 and I have a feeling in a few years I won't be able to keep up with her and I'll just be a pack mule to help her get her animals back to camp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Good job men.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell her good job a rifle in 300sav is very nice

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, she's only 13 and I have a feeling in a few years I won't be able to keep up with her and I'll just be a pack mule to help her get her animals back to camp.

By daughter is 30 and she still wants me to help her get her critters out I told the kids it is about time they start helping me.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Tell her good job a rifle in 300sav is very nice

She asked for a .308, but I traded a 700 .35 Whelen straight across for a Remington 700 Classic in .300 Savage. It wasn't what she wanted, but now she's hooked on it. She wouldn't even consider shooting her buck with a .250 Savage custom that I bought her.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Taylorce
She has really become a great shot and a cool hand behind the trigger when it comes to game animals, I was lucky enough to be there when she made 3 great one shot kills last year and I hope to see her do this for years to come.
Always a great time to see the kids growing up and become outstanding hunters.
I knew the very second she decided she wanted that Antelope buck that his minutes were numbered, good shooting girl, way to go!.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your daughters success.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to see n hear this.
Tell her we all on A/R are proud of her!

Tease her a bit: "what the hell's a pronghorn??" Stinking prairie goat, right Snell?

You have her reloading her own ammo yet? She needs to be as much shooting as she'll be doing.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to her for her pronghorn!

Congrats to you for a fine young lady.

CONGRATS to her for posing with the rifle pointing away from her and the bolt open!

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Big congratulations to the huntress

My wife and myself were spectators for this young ladies first buck antelope hunt....and she didn't disappoint. Her one shot was well placed and dumped him in his tracks.

She is obviously a good student of shooting from a good teacher.

I have no doubt that if we get her on some elk next month we will all be hauling meat on our back in short order.

Tell her we had a good time with her Saturday and I look forward to hunting with you two in November.

It's threads like this that deserve several pages of comments but it's a shame that the other pissing threads dominant this once great forum.

Ted

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Atta Girl !!!

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to her on a great antelope, sounds like fine hunt, lucky to take the lope so quickly. Great picture,and some good table fare! Best of luck, have lots of fun, knowing your providing the best food on the planet for your family.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Excellent story! tu2

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Big congratulations to the huntress

My wife and myself were spectators for this young ladies first buck antelope hunt....and she didn't disappoint. Her one shot was well placed and dumped him in his tracks.

She is obviously a good student of shooting from a good teacher.

I have no doubt that if we get her on some elk next month we will all be hauling meat on our back in short order.

Tell her we had a good time with her Saturday and I look forward to hunting with you two in November.

It's threads like this that deserve several pages of comments but it's a shame that the other pissing threads dominant this once great forum.

Ted

'It's threads like this that deserve several pages of comments but it's a shame that the other pissing threads dominant this once great forum...' tu2 right on Ted..

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
this is excellent

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
How I missed this, I don't know, but like Snell, when she said she wanted to shoot this buck, I knew his time was limited. When the shot went off, I knew a tag had been punched.

I enjoy the time with the kids hunting with our group more than anything. I can't wait until my two are lugging a rifle around with us.

Nice shooting girl!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote