Find
Notify
Tools

Scrape tactics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I had noticed a regular scrape area had not been being used by the local whitetails yet so last week so I decided to activate it myself. I am happy to report significant success! There are young bucks visiting it and they have taken over keeping it active. Big Grin

Hopefully the bigger bucks will be along as well. I have killed a decent buck over this scrape two years ago.

~Ann

Posts: 19433 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more recent photos from the scrape.

A couple of little guys making themselves known and one 3YO.

And an older buck showing up.

~Ann

Posts: 19433 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something from my far point camera that I wish I had a better photo of. One and only sighting.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to have worked quite well. Good luck!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1106 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those look delicious enough to me.

Posts: 4997 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is time to be out hunting.

Posts: 19497 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting information Ann. I have not hunted whitetail (all mule deer) and would not have much of an idea how to hunt one. Best of luck on your hunt and please post the results!

Posts: 2658 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been out with the crossbow on a different area of my property. I have passed on everything so far. I am saving the scrape area for our firearms season which begins on Saturday. With binoculars, I can just see that area where the deer come out into the hay field from that scrape. I am sitting at the other side, the far side, of the field.

It was VERY warm today, in the 80's and will be again tomorrow. Saturday plunges into the teens for temps. Seems typical for where I live. Eeek! That's cold on my bones but should move the bucks around.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann,
If you dont mind me asking, how did you activate the scrape?
Good hunting!!

DRSS

Posts: 1160 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pretty much do what the deer do. I first remove the fallen leave but use a large tree branch to create the scrape. Then pee on the bare ground. I also add a large sprinkling of anise extract. Did this twice over a couple of days. Activity picked up pretty quickly.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff, Ann.

No doubt you'll get it done on a fine buck like you always do! Keep us posted please.

I've hunted a few WT but my home State is muley country so I'm certainly a WT rookie.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, Very interesting! Thanks for posting. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ann.

DRSS

Posts: 1160 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I did not have anything worth taking come past while out with my crossbow. Tomorrow morning is our firearms opener and I will be hunting that scrape. It's going to be a very cold morning. Hope that gets the deer moving.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How'd the hunt go? Hopefully you've been busy cutting meat. I've enjoyed your updates with this topic. It sounds like you have a slice of heaven.

My daughter keeps asking about when I'm going to take her whitetail hunting- I better do it before she doesn't want to go with me. haha

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still nothing down! I have let all the fawns, does and spikes pass. The weather has been unusually cold as well. In the 80's last week hunting with the crossbow, teens for lows and barely above freezing for firearms so far. Very tough hunting so far.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Still nothing down! I have let all the fawns, does and spikes pass. The weather has been unusually cold as well. In the 80's last week hunting with the crossbow, teens for lows and barely above freezing for firearms so far. Very tough hunting so far.

That was how it was here. 80 on Friday and ice storm on Saturday.

Good will power in letting the meat pass. I have a hard time of that myself. Soon a buck will be behind those does. Good hunting.

How are the rubs near your scrape? Is it on a run line. The bench below the ridge I hunted had big federal shredded every 4 feet for 300 yards with scrapes. My buck had cedar in his brow tines?

I always liked scrapes on a run line as does will paw the ground, but only bucks can make rubs.

Posts: 11665 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once I start hunting I stay away from the scrapes and cameras. I did watch a spike at the scrape yesterday early evening. My popup blind is about 95 yards across my upper hay field from it.

I have not shot anything for a couple of reasons: because I really prefer an older deer for the flavor factor and deer are not in heavy numbers here since there isn't much for agriculture.

This year there was severe drought and coyotes got a lot of the fawn crop.

I have neighbors that do shoot everything and one of them does not seem to look for his animals as I find several dead after the season ends. A couple of years ago a very badly wounded doe was swimming in my pond. I have never met that person, no one lives on the parcel but I believe it is an old man who hunts on the top of the ridge. If it doesn't drop, he does not look for it.

Lastly, I have a lot of meat put up plus I ranch so there is no shortage and I can be picky. Smiler

I may have to hunt all winter and maybe dust off my muzzleloader but for now, regular firearms goes until the 22nd. As it seems now, I believe the bucks around here are locked down with receptive does. Had some snow over night so hopefully they will begin moving again soon.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It helped my will power that I had an elk tag in my back pocket. Good hunting.

I appreciate your stewardship. Similar here with turkey as far as a bad hatch and coyotes.

Shooting up the woods and not following is bad piece of business. The only thing one can do is be better themselves.

Posts: 11665 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

I appreciate your stewardship. Similar here with turkey as far as a bad hatch and coyotes.

Shooting up the woods and not following is bad piece of business. The only thing one can do is be better themselves.

I’m surprised it’s not illegal to wound deer and not follow them up.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13332 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I don't think there is anyone who would do anything about it. There is one CA assigned to each of our counties. It is sad this happens. I do think it is a very common occurrence.

Joshua, where are you going for elk? Are you using the same rifle or something else?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to WY December 12-15 for cow elk.

I will be using the 358 STA and same load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

I’m surprised it’s not illegal to wound deer and not follow them up.

In KY, you can keep shooting and bleeding then until you finally “take possession” of One.

Our lease has a rule, if we find blood you are done. However, that is a rule and not a law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way I can stop what is going on on that parcel is to buy it. I hope to and am waiting...

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
The only way I can stop what is going on on that parcel is to buy it. I hope to and am waiting...

A lot of times the best way to handle neighbors if you get a chance to buy their property.

Posts: 19497 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. I would for sure make an offer if he ever sells it.

~Ann