New
Find
Notify
Tools

WY antelope area 46
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I drew a WY area 46 antelope tag and also region D deer. What are the chances of killing a 15 inch antelope in this area. Would I be better to hunt deer first and then hunt antelope two weeks after the season opens? Is there enough private land in area 46 not to have to pay a tresspass fee to hunt. I did sign up for Medicine Bow HMA permit. Any info would be appreciated

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't hunted 46, but have hunted 47 and 48. Dad shot a buck in 48 last year that was within 1/2" of making the book. I would figure there are a few big ones in 46. We generally hunt opening day, but will wait a couple of weeks this year. If opening day is on a weekday, pressure won't occur until the first weekend. Will usually last 4-5 days and then die off. Not sure about public access land in 46. Might call the game warden for the area and talk to him. They are generally pretty helpful. Wouldn't wait too long though, as their busy season will be starting pretty quick.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There probably are a few 15" + bucks in unit 46.
I've hunted 50/52/56/48 and have taken nice bucks in all of them.

The key to shooting a big antelope is GLASS, GLASS, GLASS, and don't shoot a avg/small one because of an easy opportunity.

Have a great trip!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew 46 as well, signed up for Simpson's Ridge HMA.
Area game warden won't be back in until the 8th (he's been off last 2 weeks+). Regional biologist is off as well.
All taking vacation before they get BUSY!

Good luck! Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks AZ guy. I've shot a few big and heavy 14 inch antelope but would like to break 15 inches
Good luck to you Dave on your hunt.