New
Find
Notify
Tools

supressors on animals
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are supressors legal for hunting hogs, coyotes, etc...? For noise they'd be great in keeping a place quiet while thinning the less than desireables.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, as long as it is not a game animal. I have used my suppressed .300 whisper with good effect on hogs. I saw five of them under a feeder and with the wind in my favor killed all of them.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Whisper project is just what I had in mind. How do you like yours? What bullets have you found to work the best?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting the Sierra 240 grain match bullet in mine. Accuracy is great but it starts dropping when you get past 100 yards. Since I am shooting it subsonic the only noise heard is the drop of the firing pin. You will need to go with a 1/8 twist barrel to stabalize this bullet. I have several other suppressed guns but the .300 whisper is the best combination of heavy streamlined bullet with a minimum of noise.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Do you have to get a special permit to have a suppressed weapon? If so what is involved and how long does it take?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
If you guys are talking about silencers , the laws are different state to state . Hear in NY silencers are illegal for any type of shooting and hunting.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
I shoot an AWC ruger 22/77 with wrap arond suppressor so it just looks like a bull barrel .22.

I shoot abouit 60-65 rock chucks a year with it and earn evey one of the little buggers. (creeping within 50 yards of them).

Honestly never occured to me to use it on anything else. Its just a .22 and a sub sonic one at that!

I do like the 300 whisper.

Ive shot paper w it out to 200 yards, but like any suppressed (sub sonic) weapon, you need a range finder and special scope to shoot beyoned 100 yards.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have to get a special permit to have a suppressed weapon? If so what is involved and how long does it take?

Yes. First you need to find out if they are legal in your state of residence. I am pretty sure they are legal in Arkansas.

Next you need to find a class 3 dealer in your state. Usually you will find one you want and the dealer either has it in stock or orders one for you. After your dealer has the suppressor in hand you will then fill out a form 4. Take the form 4 to the head law enforcement officer in your county (ususally the sheriff) and get him to sign it. You then need two passport type photos along with two sets of fingerprints. Package all this up and send it along with $200 dollars to the atf. After three of four or five months your form 4 should come back approved. When the dealer recieves the approved form 4 you can then pick up your suppressor and get with it!

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
M16,
Thanks for the info. Is it hard to find a Sheriff that will sign off on this. When I lived in Colorado you needed to have a sheriff to sign the aplication for a CCW permit and none would do it!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another option is if you are an officer in a corporation or you can form a corporation. The suppressor can be bought by the corporation and you do not need a law enforcement signature, photos, or fingerprints. A lot of people do this when they cannot get the signature. You can also contact ATF and find out other people that they will except a signature from. DA's and Judges or the police chief from your city are also possibilities. If you have a class 3 dealer near you he can probably help in obtaining a signature.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
M16,

I'm interested in the 300 Whisper, but not interested in the red tape involved to get it suppressed. How loud is a non-suppressed 300 Whisper loaded subsonic? Thanks!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
My 300 Whisper, sent to me by JD Jones, was a 16 inch barrel AR-15.

About as loud as anything else supersonic or sub-sonic. Shot about 100 rounds of each.

The whisper is a really nice ctg but shines in a 14 inch suppresed rifle. So figure on two transfer fees if you want a gas gun and one with a wrap around suppressor on a bolt gun.

PS the bolt guns are quieter.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote